Tail polyps?

DesigNerd

Other Required Info:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level: 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level: 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level: 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 6.8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): good question, I think it's 6.8 also.
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: API Freshwater master test kit, drops.
  • * Water temperature? Unsure. A day ago during setup was rather cold, added 2 heaters and the above lighting which got warm and it's noticably warmer. oops. Just installed the thermometer, looks like about 76F.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Only running about 2 days now. 75 gallons. Previously, the shubunkin was in a 10 gallon tank.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305 pump canister filter. Fluval rigid foam partical filters, 4 of them. Some dirty gravel from both 10gallon tanks that the fishes were split between, and some ammonia lock.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Brand new tank. 100% Not sure about how often to change this giant sucker yet. I'm up for suggestions.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? About 48 hours ago. Only 24 hours before fish entered new home.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Total: 9 fish. Breakdown: 4 shubunkins (the one with the problem is the biggest shubie), 3 telescopes, and 2 ryukins.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime! Aquarium salts. Night out.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day. Flakes mostly, sinking green pellets, and sometimes cut lettuce & peas.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The 4 shubunkins are now mingled with the 5 fancies. They both had same tank water though. One tank was perfect and the other; the tank with the shubies had some strange white mold fungus growing on the plants. I yanked those out and tossed them. I thought the problem cleared up. Apparently not.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? None.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They've never been treated with anything other than the standard aquarium salts at regular water change intervals and even then it was normal recommended doses, not theraputic levels.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, bloodshot tail, polyps as of today. Previously that tail area had little tiny itty bitty hard to figure out white circles. Tail possibly previously broken.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? In the small tank for the last month or more all the shubunkins just kinda sat around unless they were eating. Wandering just a little bit. In the new giant tank they are all swimming actively, having fun, and also being aggressive with each other taking turns. They all end up doing the cutest cuddle puddle afterwards so it seems like there's no hard feelings. Except however, this particular fish with the polps, Valcore, is the largest and he and most of the other fish have been ganing up on Xanadu; a ryukin. The aggression seems new for the shubies but during feeding time in the fancy's tank they were always pretty mean. A wee bit of yawning but not too bad. No scratching or flicking. About a couple weeks ago (?) during the white fungus outbreak, there was some scratching and flicking but stopped the day after I removed all plants.

Valcore, the shubie with the tail problem had small little white spots on tail for months but never seemed to be an actual problem. Now overnight since moving from 10 gallons to 75 gallons this outbreak got swollen up fast. No other fish have any signs, symptoms, or the remotest possible problem with their scales. Just this guy which seems very odd to me but hey, I'm a newbie. Is in cancer? Skintabs? Polyps? Scarring? Injuring? Heck, I dunno.

valcorestail.jpg

valcorestailspotsandtrololo.jpg

• Supporter

hun..

there are a few problems with your setup.. as you know, improving to a 75gallon is wonderful but you're still overstocked and we need to look at this as you have large fish also.. is there anyway you can split the load into 2 tanks. the shubies need 80 gallons to themselves (minimum) having added the rest of the fish is causing a problem.. as you can see from the Ammonia

with the load you have, i would be feeding every second day and only once perday and even then.. just lightly.. whilst still maintaining 2 x 70% wc's per day.

PH level is too low.. a recommended level is 7.4 and higher. if you can, get some crushed coral from the petstore/lfs and add it to your filter to raise and hold stable at minimum 7.4. if you were to have a PH crash right now, you wouldn't see it coming. the PH level at the moment can and will cause slimecoat problems leaving your fish exposed to harmful bacteria.. which is most likely a contributing factor to what you've presented to us today.

please take a reading of the tap's PH so that we know for sure that it's at 6.8 or hopefully more., then we can suggest how to maintain a stable PH of 7.4 or more from tap to tank.

can i ask why at the moment you are adding aquarium salt? prime should be all that you need to add to your tank. fresh water and prime and/or PH buffer if requried.

ok.. the quality of your water, because of the Ammonia happens to be high.. should be at 0. i know you are trying your best, but you are really overstocked. the Ryukin is going the Shubie for space. we experience aggression in the tank when we are overstocked, bad quality of water or fed irregularly. at the moment, we have two factors, overstocked and bad water.

immediately you need to begin water changes. twice per day.. you need to also look at how to better the PH levels in the tank and if you can, for now, remove the salt and we need to work out how to give your fish more space.

what is your standing with being able to provide the fish other than the shubies a suitable home? ie, a secondary tank just for them? basically, you need a 60gallon tank for the 3 Telescopes and the 2 Ryukins.. either that or you need to consider rehoming some fish to reinstate good health to all of them.

get back to me with the tap's PH level please :)

The tank was still cycling. It's finished now. The water straight out of the tap ammonia level is .25 and now it's down to zero. The ph has risen as well, just took a little time.

I found out that the tail polyps was actually herpes and there's nothing really to do about it other than salts. Fortunately it has not spread to the others. It was the stress of moving to a new home that made them flair up. Now they are settling down.

Overall the fish are super happy and I got a new bubble wand. Sometimes these things just work themselves out naturally.

When they grow a bit bigger I have plans for another tank. One step at a time.

:OO

Oh and all the aggression, it wasn't that. With the temperature changes due to the lighting caused them to experience a season change, they were super happy and introducing themselves figuring out a pecking order... who were the girls and who were the boys. They were mating. Now I have eggs on the bubble wand which I'll transfer to another tank. HOORAY!!!

Are you sure it's herpes? If so, I assume it is koi herpes (most common found in carps aka koi and goldfish). But this is what I found as its symptoms:

Symptoms of KHV

Symptoms of KHV include:

• Gill mottling
  • Red and white patches appearing on gills
  • Bleeding gills
  • Sunken eyes
  • Pale patches
  • Blisters
    Koi fish infected with KHV may die within the first 24-48 hours of exposure.

All I can see on your fish are these blisters. Are they blisters or do they look like growth? Koi herpes is highly contagious, and if that's what it is, you might want to put him back into his old tank, or get a large tub for him and keep him by himself - and hope for the best that he did not infect the other fish.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

It could also be lymphocystis. It's a viral infection that can come about in conditions of poor water quality or high organic load. It's not usually fatal, but it's best to isolate the affected fish so the other fish don't get it. Also there's not much you can do to treat it, but a lot of the time it will go away on its own. The fish always has the virus, but the growths can come and go- tending to flare up at times of stress and weakened immune system.