Crayfish care questions

Cockroach

I am getting some of the Self Cloning Marbled Crayfish next week and need to be refreshed on their care. I researched them a few years ago because I needed them for a biology lab but I talked to my ES and was able to skip that one so I forgot most of what I learned.

Edited by Cockroach

They are super simple to take care of. Just need lots of hiding places.

Don't put them in with slow or small fish as they will eat anything they can catch. But they are naturally found in rivers so high flow (lots of filtration) is a plus for them, though they do fine in slow flow tanks.

Food should be a mix of sinking pellets/flakes, frozen, and vegetable matter. I don't recommend live food unless you raise it yourself, and then it will need to be killed before your crayfish will eat it.

They are pretty territorial so keep one in a tank, unless it's large.

They are escape artists, and need a COVERED tank. If you don't use a high flow filter and/or an airstone, they will climb up and out of the water as they need lots of oxygen.

Hope this helps. If you think of any other specific questions, let me know!

Check your local laws before obtaining them! They are illegal in missouri i know. I have kept them and they are cool but i got rid of all mine when they outlawed them in missouri since i trade alot with the guys from the wrong side of the state line. If they escape and get into a natural water supply one can destroy the ecosystem since they don't need a mate to reproduce. As far as i know they can handle fairly cool water too.

I noticed you were from california and since everything is illegal there and very few thing are in missouri (you can still by bottle rockets there) i figured i would mention the legality of owning them in some states.