Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

What is my goldfish doing?

Some of you guys know that I just got my first goldfish. He is very shy and loves food. :D Anyway, I have noticed that he does these quick spin moves and now has a messed up scale on his right side. I am pretty sure doing that against crushed coral (my city's water has a very low pH) is what hurt him. Does anyone else have a goldfish that does this? What should I do, if anything?

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i434/tdeems2009/?action=view&current=20120120_1540201.mp4

I don't think there's anything wrong with the water, but here are the parameters just in case anyone asks for them:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

pH: 8.2

Temperature: 68

Not sure if it is worth mentioning, but the last water change was on Friday.

Can you put the crushed coral in your filter? I have mine in a media bag in my filter and it works fine in there. It is indeed sharp and goldies seem to find a way to hurt themselves on sharp things. Also, have you prazied him with prazi pro? That would the first step, I think--most goldies come in with flukes, it seems.

And, as long as your ammonia continues to read 0 (your tank is cycled, right?), you could try .1% aquarium salt, which you can get at the LFS. The easiest way I have found to dissolve it before adding to the tank (which you will want to do) is to microwave it in some tank water and then stir it awhile while the water is hot. I'd do 1 teaspoon per gallon to start and that is probably sufficient to help with his scale. If you have ammonia readings, though, the salt will make the ammonia more toxic, so keep an eye on that. Salt and prazi would be what I recommend (put him in a QT if you have plants, as they don't like the salt much). Also, when you do water changes, only add back in the salt you take out. So, if you have, for example, a ten gallon tank and initially put in 1 teasp/gallon and take out 5 gallons for a water change, just add back in 5 teaspoons. Prazi, .1% salt, and clean water (I'd do a 50% water change before adding anything anyway) will hopefully sort him out.

Edited by spillie

Your fish is so pretty! :D

Thanks for giving water parameters, would you mind filling out the rest of the form, I think this thread my need to be moved to the diagnosis section, I could be wrong but that looks like it might be flashing behavior (someone please correct me if I am wrong here!)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Your fish is so pretty! :D

Thanks for giving water parameters, would you mind filling out the rest of the form, I think this thread my need to be moved to the diagnosis section, I could be wrong but that looks like it might be flashing behavior (someone please correct me if I am wrong here!)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Ah--thanks Tithra, yes, I should have suggested that first. Please do. But also let us know if you already prazied the fish, OK?

Wow, that is a beautiful fish! I agree, looks like flashing.

Oh, oops. Sorry for posting in the wrong section.

No, I haven't treated for flukes. The coral is already mixed with my sand, and I think it will be a real pain to move it to my filter... Is there anything else I can do? And sorry for posting in the wrong section and stuff.

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit
  • * Water temperature? 68
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? It is 55 gallons and has been running since early December 2011.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305 (up to 70 gallons)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 30% once a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday, 30%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, 7 inches total length
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold, twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

- Is there salt in the tank right now? How much? and how long has it been in there?

- And this tank is cycled correct? (your parameters look cycled, did you use media from the previous tank?)

I would suggest treating with prazi pro. You usually need to order it not many LFS carry it, but you could certainly check. I think amazon is the best way to go :)http://www.amazon.co...27289940&sr=8-1

Are you planning on more fish any time soon? Any new fish should go through this QT procedure. :)

Treatment schedule is 4-5 rounds. One 'round' looks like this (as typically suggested by dnalex ;)):

Day 1: add prazi

Day 4: 50% water change

Day 5: 50% water change, add prazi

and so on until you have added prazi 4-5 times

For the first two rounds you should salt to .1%, after that you can allow the salt to be removed with the water changes.

If you have carbon in the filter remove it :)

EDIT: Just a side note, and I know I already commented on this on a previous thread of yours, but you will want to add another filter at some point. The 305 only does 260 gph, you want to try to get 10x filtration on the tank, so a total of 550 gph. I think you will be fine for now because you are so understocked currently, but as you add fish this will be something to consider.

Edited by tithra

Yes, there is salt in there now. I added what the box recommended on Friday which was 11 tablespoons. And yes, it is cycled. No, I did a fishless cycle. I'll check if the LFS has any Prazi tomorrow.

I am planning on adding more fish, but it's gonna be a few more weeks before I do.

okay great :) I couldn't remember if you had a different tank previously etc. Maybe it wasn't your thread that I commented on the fluval on, eek! Sorry, can't keep track :no:

So, .1% will be 55 teaspoons (1 tsp per gallon). It's best not to use salt in the tank regularly as a 'tonic', it is not necessary. Salt should be saved for when you really need to use it as a medication, otherwise it may not work when you really need it (much in the same way antibiotic-resistant 'bugs' develop in people from overuse of antibiotics, parasites etc. can develop immunity to salt and then you have to resort to harsher medications).

okay great :) I couldn't remember if you had a different tank previously etc. Maybe it wasn't your thread that I commented on the fluval on, eek! Sorry, can't keep track :no:

So, .1% will be 55 teaspoons (1 tsp per gallon). It's best not to use salt in the tank regularly as a 'tonic', it is not necessary. Salt should be saved for when you really need to use it as a medication, otherwise it may not work when you really need it (much in the same way antibiotic-resistant 'bugs' develop in people from overuse of antibiotics, parasites etc. can develop immunity to salt and then you have to resort to harsher medications).

No worries. I can't even imagine how confusing it can get. And that's good to know about the salt. Thanks for the advice.

Can you put the crushed coral in your filter? I have mine in a media bag in my filter and it works fine in there. It is indeed sharp and goldies seem to find a way to hurt themselves on sharp things. Also, have you prazied him with prazi pro? That would the first step, I think--most goldies come in with flukes, it seems.

And, as long as your ammonia continues to read 0 (your tank is cycled, right?), you could try .1% aquarium salt, which you can get at the LFS. The easiest way I have found to dissolve it before adding to the tank (which you will want to do) is to microwave it in some tank water and then stir it awhile while the water is hot. I'd do 1 teaspoon per gallon to start and that is probably sufficient to help with his scale. If you have ammonia readings, though, the salt will make the ammonia more toxic, so keep an eye on that. Salt and prazi would be what I recommend (put him in a QT if you have plants, as they don't like the salt much). Also, when you do water changes, only add back in the salt you take out. So, if you have, for example, a ten gallon tank and initially put in 1 teasp/gallon and take out 5 gallons for a water change, just add back in 5 teaspoons. Prazi, .1% salt, and clean water (I'd do a 50% water change before adding anything anyway) will hopefully sort him out.

Sorry Spillie, I didn't see that you provided instructions here! :)