Does a PP dip kill ich--all stages?

spillie

I bought some new plants and they are in a 10G QT. However, it is jam packed and I'd like to get them into the main tank and planted asap. I did an extended PP dip before putting them in the QT 2 days ago. Will that kill everything bad, including ich in all its life stages--or do I need to keep them in QT longer? If so, how long is the minimum safe time? Any advice? Thanks!

All treatments target the free swimming theronts and tomonts, which will only survive 48 hours in the absence of a host fish. Ich will normally complete it's life cycle in around 7 days in an indoor aquarium and can't survive with out a host or lie dormant waiting on a fish as some believe :)

Edited by alistairw

Potassium Permanganate (PP) with not kill ichthyophthirius (ich) in any stage.

Bleach will though.

20:1 water to bleach for about 20secs with kill not only ich, but snails/eggs, bacteria, and any other parasite.

I don't QT my plants ever. I just bleach 'em, rinse 'em, and plant 'em.

PP will kill ich in the freeswimming stage but you would have to treat again when the cysts hatch. You have to do this will all treatments. PP is also great for killing snails because it is more gentle on the plants than bleach.

Edited by ashlee18

Thanks! It really is good to know the options for disinfecting plants. I tried bleaching anacharis once and it melted,though the other plants were fine. PP seems to be better in this regard for sure and that is what I use now, mostly. I think I'll do a bleach dip on this group, as there was some black beard algae on one when I got it. The store cut it off, but just to be safe, maybe I should (no anacharis this time). If I bleach, do I do the roots, too? I did the whole plant last week when I got them in PP and they have been in QT since then, so I hopefully with a bleach dip I will fully covered: no ich (no host for life cycle) no snails (none have appeared), no BB algae. Or is this over the top? These plants came from a store's display tank that had fish in it, so want to be extra careful. Especially as my fish themselves did not come from the best of conditions . I lost my pearlie and I had septicemia in the two oranda--all recovered now after a month in QT.

BTW, what is the verdict on a UV sterilizer for a planted tank? I've read both that it is fine and also that it is not good. I have one, but I have not set it up.

If your fish have ich then you should be worried if they have any other parasites also. It's better to treat new fish and even new plants as they might be carrier of disseases or parasites.

A UV Sterelizer will only treat what actually passes through it :)

:exactly

And even then, it will depend on the wattage of the UV, the size of the UV chamber, and the flow rate. All of these go into determining whether the UV ray will be able to reach the object, and will be strong enough to cause damage, leading to death.