Nerite Snails & Phosban

spillie

Does anyone know if phosban is safe for nerite snails? It is synthetic ferrous oxide hydroxide. I put it in my filter last week and reintroduced my zebra nerite last night. He was not happy this morning (so I took him out again). But I'm not sure if it was because of the phosban or something else as yet TBD.

Edited by spillie

Phosban is completely safe for invertebrates. I would look into other sources for the irritation. Have you checked your copper levels?

No, I haven't. I think, though, that it may be traces of Excel in the tank. The snails are fine in the betta tanks, but in the big tank had a very bad reaction to the larger dose of excel. I researched and learned that it can kill them, hence the temporary relocation. I put was concerned about the phosban as I put one back in there after a water change a week after the excel incident, and he flipped on his back. Then, when I righted him, he did not move at all for an hour or so. Maybe just resting, but after the excel incident (and as I had just dripped the new water over a pile of phosban as a new step in my war on diatoms) , I was concerned that phosban was also a problem. Good to know it is not! I'll try the snail again in the big tank this weekend. Thanks!