Sign in to follow this  
happysnapper

Still having issues with Lucy

To recap, Lucy and Fred are two orandas that live together in my 40g breeder. Fred is big, Lucy is small. Lucy is also a piggy and Fred is kind of slow, as in the food I drop for him will bounce off his head and Lucy will race to grab it. I got bigger pellets for Fred (NLS jumbo fish pellets) and small pellets for Lucy (NLS cichlid formula because it has the most veggies in it it seems). Yesterday I dropped in two soaked pellets for Fred and watched him eat one, then a few of the small ones for Lucy which she ignored and went straight for Fred's second pellet. It wouldn't fit in her mouth but she still kept after it and I think she probably ate it as it disintegrated. Then she spent the day looking uncomfortable and just sitting in the middle of the water with her head slightly down. For dinner I gave them peas, which she scarfed up, and this morning she is looking better, swimming actively, and there is a large amount of poop on the bottom, which I'm assuming is hers. She is exceedingly fat :lol she looks like a ping pong ball with fins.

The two of them look really good together, but I'm starting to think the best solution is to move Lucy to a tank with a more similar sized fish. :(

Have you tried teaching Fred to hand feed? This is what I have to do with Puff because Edie is so much faster and more aggressive with food that he will not get his fair share if I don't hand feed him! It took awhile for him to stop being skittish and figure it out, but he is an absolute pro at it now. So, Edie's pellets get dropped in to the bottom and Puff comes up and eats from my hand :)

The other possible option would be to use a tank divider during feeding times.

Edited by tithra

How would I teach him that, Tithra? He comes right up to the top, even sticking his wen out :lol when I come to the tank to feed them so he might be quick to learn it. Unfortunately he stays there while the food goes down and Lucy gobbles it. :rofl

Lol, you should try it! I hold the pellets below the water surface so that he's not gulping at the surface or anything, and if Edie comes up and tries to eat from my hand I take my hand out. She has pretty much learned at this point that those aren't for her :)

Good luck!! :clapping:

It may take awhile for him to figure it out just to warn you, Puff was so skittish at first I didn't think he would ever eat out of my hand. You might want to try really enticing foods at first so that he can't resist like bloodworms or oranges or whatever he likes best :)

I agree. You might have to separate them for good, separate them for feeding, or teach Fred to hand feed.

I ended up having to separate my fish at one point for feeding time . . . oh, the things we do for our scaled friends!

Good luck. ;)

Edited by fantailfan1

I have the same problem with my Otto. I found that they can eat most vegetables, but not flake food. Although many people think gulping air is the problem, I think some fish are just naturally intolerant to wheat and soy, which is present in many commercial foods. I feed mine pees which allows them to pass the extra gas formed by the breakdown of the wheat in the bowels.