Used pump system, dumb install question

I bought this fluval 305 pump system from craigslist and the guy had cut the hose a bit short. He used it for a long time then downgraded. Anyways, so... I'm trying to set it up and I can only imagine that he had the intake right next to the outflow. Unless I buy new piping (or a whole new system) I'm gonna have to do the same.

Is it okay to have the intake next to the outflow? Seems kinda pointless to me. Will it be strong enough for my 75 gallon tank?

Thanks all.

Is it okay to have the intake next to the outflow? Seems kinda pointless to me.

I agree it would be pointless, makes more sense to put them on opposite sides of the tank or as far away from one another. can't you just replace one hose?

when you buy a re-used filter, avoid re-using the used porous media, get brand new ones

did you bleach out or pp the filter?

Instead of bleaching your plants try pp on them its less harsh on them.

I got all new media and gravel for inside the fluval pump trays along with the ammonia rocks. I did a quick bleaching and bleached the tank for 3 days and rinsed it 3 times then smeared it with prime and washed it again. Then washed it again. Then did a dumb thing, I filled the tank and treated the water and even got that bottled bacteria. Then I realized I needed to get the pump started and D'OH! I didn't leave enough room behind the tank. Emptied the tank, moved it, then realized that the previous dude cut the tube too short. I duct tape the hell out of it and tested it a bit, no leaks so far. Now I'm refilling the thing and just about to get it all started. Oh and now I've moved the intake and outflow to mostly opposite sides. Just gotta recustomize the lid.

...but I'm really nervous about the floorboards. I'm 2nd level of an old 1930's apartment. At least I finally got it covered on my insurance.

Duct tape totally didn't work in this scenario!!!

floor boards!!!!!.....oh god......we were setting up a 3rd fish tank, filling it with water, heard a crack, water all over the floor, mopped it up.....but within 3 day, smelt mold in the air......lifted up the boards, yup mold, and we kept peeling back the boards, the little bit of puddle just got everywhere underneath the boards............just replaced 8 feet of wood!!

We had 2 tanks for 3 yrs and think :aint: , and it happened!!!!!! on our 4th year of fishkeeping lol funny now not then.....

Are you gonna cycle a new tank?

Don't use the bottle bacteria......use seeded media

eheim tubing may be expensive, but if u buy generic tubeing, still works, and cheaper.

I'm sorry to be a little off topic here but I am wondering about the 'ammonia rocks'. Are these a product designed to absorb/lock ammonia? If it is I would suggest not using anything like this. Products like this can actually starve the beneficial bacteria that make up your cycle by making the ammonia unavailable to them. Is your tank cycled? If so, your cycle, along with regular water changes should be enough to deal with any ammonia produced by the fish :) If your tank is not cycled, the best way to deal with the ammonia is water changes :)

Is is just the tubing that runs from the canister to the output/input that you need? You should be able to find generic hosing that will fit at a hardware store or some LFS sell tubing as well.

Tithra, yeah it's the ammonia lock stones you're talking about. I didn't think about that but I am using gravel from the established tanks and some of their water too. Maybe I could use the established tanks filter medium too, it's the bags of gravel and stuff. I'm sorry I'm so vague. I need to wake up and have coffee first.

I managed to get the short hose to work last night before crashing at 5am. yay. The suction cups were missing from the used set-up but I got it covered with a giant rubberband. yay diy.

Tithra, yeah it's the ammonia lock stones you're talking about. I didn't think about that but I am using gravel from the established tanks and some of their water too. Maybe I could use the established tanks filter medium too, it's the bags of gravel and stuff. I'm sorry I'm so vague. I need to wake up and have coffee first.

I managed to get the short hose to work last night before crashing at 5am. yay. The suction cups were missing from the used set-up but I got it covered with a giant rubberband. yay diy.

Yeah, I would ditch the ammonia stones :) You don't want anything to compete with your cycle for ammonia. No need to use water from the established tank (as long as you Ph and temp match the new water. The water doesn't really contain any beneficial bacteria that would contribute to the cycle... there certainly might be some free floating, but it would be a negligible amount). I would definitely use any established filter media you have :) That should give you a nearly instant cycle if that media is cycled.

What else do you have for filters for the 75? Are you planning to use the old (cycled) filter on the new 75 gallon tank in addition to the 305? The 305 only does 260 gph, so you will definitely want to run another filter(s) that do around 500 gph :)

Edited by tithra