Goldfish and heaters.

Even if the water in the tank never gets too cold for goldfish, the temperature can fluctuate a lot over the course of the day and this can be stressful. The heater would help even out the temperatures and make for less drastic changes.

Heaters are fairly notoriously unreliable, though, so you have to keep an eye on them. They often aren't too hard to crack and they can overheat if they malfunction. There can also be a pretty big difference between the temperature you set the heater at and the temperature it actually heats to, even if it heats reliably and consistently, so you often have to make adjustments when you first set it up. It's just a tradeoff, I guess.

The advantage is that it helps to keep a stable temperature. Goldfish don't necessarily need the water kept warm by a heater like many tropicals do, but they are benefited from a stable temperature. If your home tends to fluctuate in temperature, or the tank is by a drafty window, then keeping a heater set to about 74 degrees F is a good idea, just to make sure the temperature doesn't drop too fast overnight or something.

That said, I don't use heaters in my goldfish tanks anymore. The temperature in my apartment is always very stable, and I just found heaters to be uneccesary.

Many people would argue that a little bit of fluctuation in temperature is perfectly fine and can even be good for the goldfish. It's not as likely you'll get breeding behavior and eggs without some temperature variation between seasons, for example. It's just the fast temperature changes that can be harmful.

Edited by Sakura

The temperature in my house varies widely during the day and night, especially in winter. Having a heater helps keep the tank's temp stable. (Otherwise, it could range from 50 to 72 degrees F in one 24-hour period.)

I also find my goldfish are more active when the temp is in the 70s, and seem to have fewer problems overall with digesting food, constipation, etc.

I only use heaters in mine during the winter. It gets really cold around here. In the summer it is turned off the tank stays to warm in the summer time. About 80 so all my heaters go off in the summer time.

I also use heaters during the winter. My house temp is not stable plus they are right next to a poorly insulated window. They get lethargic when it drops below 60 in the tank, which does unfortunately happen sometimes in my house. The heat helps keeps their metabolism up, which helps with digestion and overall activity level :) I keep mine set between 72-74. I definitely think it is worth investing in a really good heater if you do decide to use one.

I'm another one of those people using heaters to keep the temperatures stable in the winter. If I didn't, I'd get huuuge temperature fluctuations in 24 hrs alone.

I don't use a heater in my main tanks and only use them in QTs when I need to raise the temp to 80-82. Otherwise, I just leave things be, since the ambient temperature for my house is 70-72 during late fall to early spring and then 77 for late spring to early fall.

The other thing why you might want to use a heater if your temps go below 70 is that your cycle bacteria don't work so well under this temp.

I use heaters too. I like the tanks to stay between 72-74. The fish are happy & so am I (since I am often up to my armpits in their water!!!)

I was just starting to wonder if I should put a heater in my GF tank. It seems like every time I look, it's at 70*. So I think it's pretty stable but should I put a heater in there just to crank it up 2-4*?

BTW, I have a heater I could use. The fish are active and doing well but if they would be better off with the heater in there I will add it.

I keep a heater in my tank, but it isn't really for the goldies... My house is usually 64-69 in the winter (we like it that way) so the tank WOULD be that cold without a heater. I keep bn plecos in with my goldies, and while they CAN share a tank, they don't like temps quite that low... so I keep the heater at about 72 to maintain the BARE MINIMUM temp necessary to keep everyone happy. Also, my tank is 2ft deep, which is ALMOST as long as my arms... I'm frequently sticking my whole arm in the tank to reposition plants the goldies have uprooted, rearrange decor, etc. lol ;)

• Admin

I live very close to " The Dragon's Rose " area, and Im in the same situation. I have to have a heater on in the winter and spring cause the average temp in my house is 68-70F. My tank will drop to 68F if its not on. :(

I use http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4282556&lmdn=Fish I like this heater cause it has a light for when its on and when its off. This way I know its working at all times :thumb: Plus its not glass :thumb:

Another thumbs up for the aqueon pro heaters. Only heaters I never have to fiddle with to get them the right temp. The water is always the temp I set it at and I like the red/green indicator.

I got a Stealth heater from someone used, and it had NO indicater. What the heck? Stupid thing didn't even work. I wonder how long she had it in the tank not knowing that it wasn't heating at all.

Unless you have a very small tank, the change in water temperature is far less than the change in air temperature. In summer, when the daily temperature cycles from 75 to 95 F, my ponds range from 80 to 85. In winter, when air temperatures range from below 40 to 75 degrees, the shallow pond temperatures usually are between 60 and 70 , have never been below 55, and the changes are very gradual.

Goldfish originated in temperate climates and are genetically adapted to a wide rage of temperatures. Certainly, they can do well at 75 degrees. Consider, however, what happens to your goldfish that have been kept at a constant temperature when the power goes out and they experience a 10 degree temperature change.

I recently bought this heater for the QT tank, and I love it http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-5966403dt.jpg

It is glass, I know. But it is beautiful! LOL And I love the cute blue light. And it really accurately heats to the temperature set on the dial. :)

I don't heat the tank. It's 70 gallons, so it's not going to fluctuate temp fast, or very far. It stays 69-70 in the winter and 73-74ish in the spring, summer, and fall.

We keep our home at a constant tempurature. It takes a huge amount of energy......and that means money.......to heat up a home that's been allowed to get cold. It takes very little $$$ to maintain a constant temp.