Rubber Sea Anemone Safe For Fish?

jesswyn

Hey guys, so the other day i bought a ornage rubber sea anemone from my local petstore, I love it and the fish have great fun 'pecking' at the lil rubber bits and watching them jiggle, however I noticed some paint was missing from the middle of it this morning, and was wondering if this paint deteriorating is bad for the fish, or if its ok because its "non toxic"? it is specifically a saltwater aquairum ornament, but i dont know if that makes a difference. It wasnt cheap either, so I hope its still ok :( looks something like this:

pp_rl17_small_orange_anemone.jpg

• Supporter

I can't really say for sure or not, but I had one in one of my betta tanks for a while. It grew some funky white, slimey algae on it and I could never get it off completely. ????

I had asked a question recently on my silicone anemone. It kept leaving a weird smell on my hands after i would clean it. I cant say for sure if it will hurt the fish or not but just pay attention to it. If it is loosing paint rapidly its probably best to remove it. I used "saltwater" decorations for a long time in my tank and they were just fine. I dont think it really matters what water it goes in.

surprised about the flaking paint - thought the colour was mixed in etc

i was gonna get some of these, but now not so sure - they are abit pricey - for aesthetics

what colour is underneath the paint flakes?

If you notice chipping paint it's best to do one of three things:

1) remove the ornament and toss it

2) remove the ornament and chip the rest of the paint off before returning it to the tank

3) reseal the ornament

Since it's a soft silicone ornament I would say that #3 is not really practical. But if you really love the ornament, chipping the paint off and leaving just the orange silicone "arms" is a safe alternative. :)