Big apple snails at Wally world

tithra

So, when I went to wally world tonight I of course had to torture myself by looking at their sad sad goldie tanks, but they had a tank full of big snails... I don't know if you can tell by the video, I should've held by hand up, but one was about the size of a ping pong ball.

The look like apple snails, they had the little breathing tube and shell shape etc. I realllly wanted to get some, but I have nowhere to put them and I am scared to put anything from that walmart in my tank even after QT honestly. But they were really cool! :D

(sorry for the bad video, I always forget to turn my phone the right way!)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TwO7ra3IoXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How cool! Snails are much easier when it comes to QT. They do not carry diseases or parasites that would jump on your fish, except for in their shell where they keep spare water.

So all you'd need to do is getting a small bucket (even 1 gallon will do if you change the water daily or twice daily, and snails are less sensitive to temp and pH fluctuations), and keep doing water changes daily. The snail eventually replaces the old Walmart spare water with fresh water within several days. I think Alex said they keep the water up to a week? So if you the snail separate like that for about a week, then he should be fully harmless to the fish :D

Ooh, neat!

Fang, because I'm paranoid, I QT for a week. They can keep the water in their shell for days (3), so a week is plenty of time to have gotten rid of all their old water.

I see in the video that the shells are covered in algae, same as our Walmart. My husband bought one of them a couple of weeks ago. I scrubbed the shell with a toothbrush & the algae came off but still has a bit of green tint. He was sold as a black snail but he's definitely got some purple stripes going on! I tossed him into a critter keeper and fed him real good before adding it to the tank yesterday. He's doing very well.

I see in the video that the shells are covered in algae, same as our Walmart. My husband bought one of them a couple of weeks ago. I scrubbed the shell with a toothbrush & the algae came off but still has a bit of green tint. He was sold as a black snail but he's definitely got some purple stripes going on! I tossed him into a critter keeper and fed him real good before adding it to the tank yesterday. He's doing very well.

Yep, sounds like the same kind! They had the stripes and everything :)

Well, um, the clap is technically a venerial disease *cough* It's just usually what I call anything icky. Every time we've gone to our walmart the fish are all dead and covered in strange things and eating each other. *shudders* I try to avoid that area because it upsets the kids, but it's right by the pharmacy. I called the manager about it once and he was so non chalant about not having anyone work the department in over a week. They had people working the underwear department but couldn't get anyone to take care of the live animals?? bah.

Ooh, neat!

Fang, because I'm paranoid, I QT for a week. They can keep the water in their shell for days (3), so a week is plenty of time to have gotten rid of all their old water.

Man, was "about a week" not good enough for you?? :rofl

Tiffken, try calling CORPORATE. You know, like customer service etc. That's what my hubby does (because he works at wally world *cough cough* ), since on store level nothing happens when you tell them. After complaining over the phone to customer service, the tanks at my wally world were fixed up and kept decent for about 6 months. I guess the store manager got in big time trouble.

It's always good to come up with stories like "I was gonna buy a tank and fish but the fish are in such horrible condition, I went to Petsmart instead" - because that means MISSING OUT ON A WAD OF $$ (tank, fish, filters, accessories etc). Hearing this makes corporate MAD as heck.

tithra, I was totally trying to see your face in the reflection! lol Cute snails though, you should get two or three, you'll find someplace for them.

Oerba Yun Fang, that is a really good idea on how to get the Mart of Wal to clean up their act!

And it works every time so far :rofl

The thing is, telling the store manager won't do much good. Telling corporate/customer service about how it's not good for the fish won't do much good either.

Making them think they are missing out on money, that's their weak spot.

tithra, I was totally trying to see your face in the reflection! lol Cute snails though, you should get two or three, you'll find someplace for them.

lol, you can kind of see part of me! My hair and eyes anyway :D