How much bottom sitting is too much?

Pontosfan

I ask because pontos, my crown pearlscale, is spending a lot of time on the bottom of the tank, usually hiding under her bridge. She doesn't show any signs of illness, when,if at all, should i start to worry?

What are the water parameters? I remember from the water change poll that you do 50-60% w/c every 2-3 weeks?

Could you maybe fill out the form at the top? :) I find this always helpful, even if there is no obvious illness. Add any other weird behavior; like does he tend to float after eating or sometimes for no reason etc! :)

Does she rouse and come to you when you approach. What percentage of the day (when the tank lights are on) would you estimate that she hides and sits?

In general, when a fish isolates herself from others, there is something off. A lot of the times I think they can resolve it themselves, but there comes a time when you may need to intervene.

When did you last treat for flukes? Any fin clamping?

What are your parameters, including pH? If I slack on my water changes, one of my fish, Adolf, will let me know when nitrates have gone above 20ppm, by bottom sitting.

Thanks for the responces guys. I don't have any equimpent at the moment to test the water (will try and get some on Monday).

It's not new behaiviour, but i think it has increased. She went through a stage of getting herself stuck in places. No matter how much space I left between ornaments, plants, etc, she would always end up getting stuck somewhere (often whilst I was at work so she could have been like that for hours). I'm begining to wonder if this has scared her so she stays in a place she knows she won;t get stuck, perhaps?

She comes up when she knows it's feeding time, and she still swims around. But only for a few mins and then she returns to her little hidey hole. No fin clamping (in fact, all her fins look great), and I'm sorry, but I've never even heard of flukes before. A while ago she did have a mild case of fin rot (and I mean really mild) which I cought straight away. So yeah, that's all the info I've got for the moment.

EDIT: also, i did an extra water change yesterday because of this (a just-in-case measure) of about 20%. And earlier today i added some "general tonic", which is, it says on the bottle, for when your fish are a little off but there are no specific symtoms.

Edited by Pontosfan

Considered your water change schedule I can imagine maybe high nitrates as cause. Remember these should always be below 20ppm (some people even say below 10ppm) for goldfish, which is why in a properly stocked tank (10gallons per fancy and 10x filtration) 50% water change weekly are required, to remove nitrates as well as bacteria (from their waste) since both can make the fish sick. :(

Normally I would recommend a huge 80% water change asap, but since you don't have testing equipment it can't be guaranteed that the pH is matched.

Instead, I would say do 25% w/c daily for the next few days. This will slowly lower the buildup of nitrates and bacteria in your water, while making sure that you don't have a sudden large difference in tank pH :)

Watch your fish's behavior, if she perks up during the next few days it might simply be that you need to start doing weekly 50-60% water changes :)

You are getting wonderful suggestions from Fang, especially in light of not knowing parameters. The only thing I'd like to chime to say is that you can also do 25% WC twice daily (morning & evening) as well, without concern over pH shock :)

She went through a stage of getting herself stuck in places. No matter how much space I left between ornaments, plants, etc, she would always end up getting stuck somewhere (often whilst I was at work so she could have been like that for hours).

Pearlscale, right? SO typical of them. The ones I've had never seemed to comprehend the width of their round little bodies, and were constantly jamming themselves between/behind things (like airline tubing, the filter intake, plants -- you name it, they could get stuck in it!). It's like they figure if their head can get in somewhere, the rest of them should be fine, too.

Pearlscales are also notorious for having balance problems, difficulty swimming in high currents, and swim bladder issues. They're truly the most "deformed" of the fancy goldfish varieties and caring for them can be tough. Have you changed anything in the tank, such as adding a filter or an additional airstone, or changing the basic pattern of the water flow by aiming the filter output differently? It's quite possible that the current is just too much for your round-bodied pearlie, and she's hiding to rest. If you turn off the filter, will she come out and swim?