Sign in to follow this  
Guest tinjimmy

My Black Moor Is Kinda Fat And Twitchy

Guest tinjimmy

I'm very new to this goldfish thing -- thank God for this site or I would have killed the poor thing weeks ago.

I have a Black Moor who I had in a 5 gallon tank for about 3 months. He's been pretty hardy considering my inexperience -- but about 10 days ago I noticed he was spending all his time toward the bottom of the tank, seemed a little bloated and seemed a little twichy when he swam.

A day or two later I noticed a patch of white fluffy stuff on his fin. After reading up I figured it was probably fugus so I treated with Jungle Fungus Clear and it went right away. My best guess is the fungus was secondary to a swim bladder problem which would account for him hanging at the bottom of the tank and his general twitchy swimming style.

I was feeding him floating flakes (Tetra Fin) twice a day, but I started him on a peas only diet about 3 days ago, hoping it was constipation (he's had trailing poops) that was causing the swim bladder problem. The tank was still cycling so the ammonia in the tank was close to 0, but the Nitrites were really high (5) so I added salt and changed 30% of the water. Last night I bought a new 10 gallon tank and some Bio Spira to speed up the cycle and put the Moor in today.

I'm not sure if he's bloated -- he seems pretty big compared to the ones I saw at the store last night. Very round through the middle. How can I tell if I'm overfeeding? Am I on the right track here? Could he be bloated for some other reason? Any input would be helpful.

if it was an overnight thing i doubt that feeding would have dont that. maybe it is dropsy? keep a very good eye on him and see if his scales start pineconing go to the pet shop ASAP and get an anti internal bacterial infection. im not sure if it is dropsy but abdominal swelling is one of the symptoms. maybe someone else can help more. this will bump the topic up so it is more likely to be noticed. also, if your fish is twitchy and flashing (showing his belly while swimming away) then it indicates a water quality problem. what are the readings of your water tests now?

Guest tinjimmy

Thanks for the post, blinky

The water in the new 10 gal tank:

Ammonia = .006

Nitrites = 0

Ph = 7.6

He seems a somewhat better today. His swimming is a little more fluid, although he seems to "ride" the current in the tank backwards at times. He is going up to the top and back down. He still has trailing poops (something my 3 year old is very impressed with) So I'm thinking constipated -- and I may have been over feeding, and maybe he was cramped in the smaller tank.

One more question though: I'm planning to give him peas a couple of days a week but I'm not sure how many to give him? Any suggestions?

It most likely sounds like constipation due to overfeeding. A lot of new goldfish owners end up overfeeding their fish becuase they are always hungry! Only feed once a day now while you're cycling, and only just as much as he can completely eat in a couple minutes. Dont leave anything left over in the tank. As far as peas, same thing. You can also get an idea of the size of your fish's "stomach" (which isnt really a stomach but a long tube!) by the size of their eye. Not the protruding part of the eye, just the eye itself.

A lot of times water quality problems will cause fish to lie on the bottom of the tank. Ammonia or nitrite in the water are very stressful to fish. Be sure to keep up on water changes and keep testing the water while the tank cycles.