Meet Pebbles (photos)

IsabellaG

Hi All,

My goldie obsession started my daughter's goldfish, which I completely took over :teehee mid last year. I promised her she could have a fish of her own and it finally happened. This weekend we brought home Pebbles who is a absolutely gorgeous.

My daughter has just turned 10 so we're both on a steep betta care learning curve. Pebbles is on his own in a 38 litre (10 gallon) tank with a small HOB filter. I've switched the filter to its min. setting. I've put in a heater and set it to 26C (78.8F). The first day he was somewhat timid and hid a lot, but this evening he's come out in all his glory. I think he's only a youngster (how can you tell?).

Now I was taking heaps of pictures of him and noticed three white spots. One on his lip and one on either side of his body. The one on his lip is now gone. What do you think, is this Ick? I haven't said anything to my daughter yet, but I'm suspecting it is. :(

If so, is the treatment for ich in Bettas also to increase heat and add salt from 1-3% over three days? How much salt should I put in? What should I raise the temperature to.

Here are the picutres, thanking you in advance.

Isabella.

IMG_2815.jpg[/img]

IMG_2823.jpg[/img]

IMG_2718.jpg[/img]

Did something wrong again, pics won't show. Will try and correct

Edited by Isabella

What a gorgeous fish & a great "starter" fish for your daughter.

I'm not sure that it's ich. I do see the spots, but hopefully someone with more expertise there can give you am assessment. What I do want to say is that bettas are much less tolerant of salt than goldfish, so I definitely would not salt to 2% or 3%, and as always, you can always start a thread to solicit suggestions on treatments.

In any case, :Congrats:

Gorgeous fish :)

Thanks Alex,

Just in the process of posting a link :-)

Isn't he just beautiful :-)

i.

I figured out how to post the images yay

Two more :-)

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

Edited by Isabella

I kept bettas for years and never had one get ich. With only one or two spots on yours, I personally wouldn't begin any kind of treatment -- they can be sensitive. If the spots multiply into 5-10, you can look into meds (salting bettas, as Alex said, is an iffy proposition -- meds are best for these guys, IME).

He is absolutely beautiful! I can't help about the ich, sorry. But Alex is correct, bettas tolerate salt less than goldfish do.

IF it is ich, as treatment I find on bettatalk.com to add 1tsp salt per 2 1/2 gallons of water, raise the temperature to 85F and add one drop of Aquarisol per gallon of water daily until the ich is gone.

But you need to find out for sure first if it is ich or not :)

I love his color--very handsome fellow! And what a lucky fish to have such a nice home. I'm sorry I have no advice about the white dots, other than clean water and see if more appear, as othes have said. Those white things look very round. Is ich that round?

Thanks guys. The white spots seems to all have disappeared. Pebbles got nice big water changes and it seems to have done the trick. Thanks for re-assuring me :-) He now has a little suspended exercise mirror which we put in for a couple of minutes at a time. He gets all tough when he sees himself :-) I'll see if I can post some more pics later today :-)

Edited by Isabella