Common or Comet?

Smiley_Fish

I just saw these two and knew they were the fish I wanted. I didn't even look to see what kind they are. :oops: Could somebody help me out? I know they are either common goldfish or comets. There names are Hercules(gold) and Titan (white & gold). I would really appreciate it and so would they. :goldfish:sorry about the quality they are less blurry in person and way more adorable! :BTT Hercules has a messed up dorsal fin I call it his battle scar.

RSCN3395.jpg

RSCN3397.jpg

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

The orange one is a comet, the red and white seems more like a very pretty common to me. Maybe a very young comet and his tail will still grow longer. :)

EDIT: How big are they including tail?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks for the welcome and for helping me :D It's nice to know what kind they actually are. The orange one (hercules) is about and inch and a half and the the red and white one (titan) is about an inch. Both measurements including the tail.

I pretty sure Titan is a hibuna (common), not a comet. Notice the shape of the tails. Hercules' tail is scissor-like, and the lobes come to a point. while it's hard to see a white tail against a white background, Titan's tail has rounded lobes. When Valentine was little, his tail was no longer than Titan's, so I thought he was a common. But it had the comet tail shape with the spread, pointed lobes. Sure enough, it grew longer as he got older. It's still shorter than that of most of my comets, but he is definitely a comet.

Also the hibuna tail is rather stiff and moves as a unit when he swims, while the comet tail is flexible and moves with a bit of a wave. The more rigid tail is more efficient at propelling the fish, so the hibuna can usually swim faster than the longer tailed fish.

Just wanted to say that I looovve Titan's orange markings--very cool! Hercules is cute too though and hopefully his dorsal will heal. If not then he should still have a nice, long beautiful tail when he grows up--I also love long fins! Great little fish. :)

I pretty sure Titan is a hibuna (common), not a comet. Notice the shape of the tails. Hercules' tail is scissor-like, and the lobes come to a point. while it's hard to see a white tail against a white background, Titan's tail has rounded lobes. When Valentine was little, his tail was no longer than Titan's, so I thought he was a common. But it had the comet tail shape with the spread, pointed lobes. Sure enough, it grew longer as he got older. It's still shorter than that of most of my comets, but he is definitely a comet.

Also the hibuna tail is rather stiff and moves as a unit when he swims, while the comet tail is flexible and moves with a bit of a wave. The more rigid tail is more efficient at propelling the fish, so the hibuna can usually swim faster than the longer tailed fish.

While TYPICALLY true, not necessarily. My little Gill is a comet, and his tail is rounded. The lobes are longer than a standard Hibuna tail, by a lot, but not "pointy" like the usual American-type comet. Actually... I'm not really sure WHAT to call his tail-shape, as he's certainly no bristol either! lol

The orange/red one is a comet, the red and white seems more like a very pretty common to me. Maybe a rewally young comet.

******Really, not rewally

I'm just trying to get 25 posts to be able to edit mah profile...