Franken-fish!

Kulukan

A little over a week and a half ago I got these 2 in the mail. The little orange one is Olivia, she will be going to live with my friend in about a month. The big guy is Khem Val (points to you if you know that one :P ) Khem was a christmas gift from another member (who shall rename namless because I don't know if they want the secret revealed), thank you, thank you, thank you <3 <3 <3

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Miss Olivia was extremely unhappy when she came out of the bag, she bottom sat for 2 days, then was upside down on the bottom for a day and then the next day I woke up to eggs!!

They were everywhere and I despaired because the tank was bare and I could not save them - until I noticed the make-shift sponge filter! It was just covered in eggs :D I removed it to its own little tub with a very gentle bubbler. Only 2 eggs hatched but I waited a bit before removing the egg covered floss. Eventually the unhatched eggs were so moldy that I removed the to preserve the health of the 2 babies. Yesterday I discovered a 3rd baby! I don't know where he was hiding but I now have a tub with 3 tiny fry and spend a pretty ridiculous amount of time hovering over it with a flashlight to see them :P

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

These little buggers are very hard to take pictures of! I have first bites for when they start swimming and have called around for brine shrimp eggs but no one in my area seems to have any.

From all my hovering I have concluded that they all appear to have straight spines even though this picture makes it seem otherwise.

I had been calling them franken-fish because of the strange pair their parents make but my friend told me that was a horribly unlucky thing to call them and that the townsfolk would storm my home with pitchforks and fire, so they are now referred to as the "eyeball babies." I am super excited to see what these 3 turn into!!

They are gorgeous and I can't wait to see what the little ones turn out like, how cool!

edited to add PS where are the chub pics?

Edited by CindyGen

That's like, the greatest gift you can get in the mail. Your so lucky! :wish: Happy birthday little frys.

Its been 8 days since my fry hatched and I'm down to one :( The other 2 succumbed to something fungal so I scooped out the remaining fry and dumped the tub and refilled it with new water and a dose of methalyne blue. Perhaps it is unnecessary but, hes still alive, so I'm happy. This guy hatched on Friday the 13th so if he survives to a point that I'm sure he will make it I will have to think of an appropriate name.

I can't see him very well from the side because he is in a plastic tub. His spine is straight from the top but slopes down a bit from the side, I don't know if that's normal or not and can't seem to find any pictures to indicate an ideal fry shape.

I made a baby brine shrimp factory out of mason jars and bubbles and it works very well! I hatch way more brine shrimp than one little fish can eat so I might look into a system of growing them out to feed to the big fish.

baby8days.jpg

I have been trying to trick Olivia and Khem into spawning again with frequent water changes and high protein foods. I came home from work today (about 1:30pm) to a cloudy tank and one lone egg on the glass. I inspected both spawning mops and there was no sign of any other eggs. Either they ate them all or maybe Khem misfired...