Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

I got Shrimps!

I finally went and got the cherry shrimp to stock my Fluval Spec (2 gallon) tank today! I can't take really good pictures yet because there is a lot of light/glare on the tank right now, but here is a sneak preview! I got 5 of them. So far they seem to be totally diggin' their digs. They are a little washed-out looking because of the stress of moving, though, I think.

DSC04765.jpg

DSC04763.jpg

100_1527.jpg

How neat :)

More pics! More pics!

Uh oh, it's on now, your pet rock has competition!

They are ultra cute and pretty, even if washed out looking! I want some too! :D

Aren't they the cutest :) I was told the male /female one is always darker I just can't remember which way it went ;) lol

Yay! They are funny and interesting. :)

Females are the darker of the two, though the one in your pic just looks like a stressed/immature female to me as the males have almost no colouring at all.

Good food and nice tank and they'll live up to the Cherry Red name in no time :]

Congratulations! ^^b

How neat :)

More pics! More pics!

Okay! See the end of this post. :D

Uh oh, it's on now, your pet rock has competition!

They are ultra cute and pretty, even if washed out looking! I want some too! :D

Heh. The rock and the moss ball both know I love them just as much as the others. The shrimp are definitely more fun to watch, though!

Aren't they the cutest :) I was told the male /female one is always darker I just can't remember which way it went ;) lol

It's really hard to tell who is what color just yet... they have changed so much just since I got them home. They are really neat either way, though!

Yay! They are funny and interesting. :)

I agree! It's a nice distraction.

Females are the darker of the two, though the one in your pic just looks like a stressed/immature female to me as the males have almost no colouring at all.

Good food and nice tank and they'll live up to the Cherry Red name in no time :]

Congratulations! ^^b

I think I might've ended up with all females. They are all darkening up pretty well since we got home. At least two are carrying eggs... will be interesting to see if those hatch even with the moving stress. I don't know much about effects of things on shrimp birth.

Here are some more pictures! The shrimp are looking much redder now, though I think I may be losing/have lost one in transit. He/she (probably she) hasn't moved in a few hours. I have three intrepid and somewhat frantic explorers, and one who is content to sit in the bacopa and pick over the leaves for tasty bits. Is the frantic exploration or the chill plant inspection more common for shrimp behavior?

I accidentally hit this poor shrimp with a flash. Probably blinded the poor thing.

100_1532.jpg

My three intrepid explorers all ended up in the same frame!

100_1541.jpg

Shimp + pet rock group shot!

100_1539.jpg

They are totally fascinated with the overflow. There is nothing on the other side but a sponge, so I'm not horribly worried about it. Also in this picture: free duckweed from the LFS. Two whole pieces. Let's see how long it takes it to take over! :D

100_1540.jpg

If theyre still holding the eggs then they should hatch :) shrimp will drop any dud eggs and only carry fertile ones. That will be great as youll most likely get some male babies!

Shrimp seem to swap between resting and grazing but spend most time on the latter, yours are probably exploring to find the right patch of tank to graze :)

tbh i keep duckweed because it removes nitrogen well and shrimp are sensitive to water quality. Also its cool to see them walk upside down on the bottom of duckweed haha.

Tanks looking great btw!

Happy to report that all 5 are up and moving today! They were really lethargic when I got up. I did a small water change (3 solo cups/48 oz... heh) this morning just because I'm paranoid. But they are all doing something at least now. Nothing frantic like yesterday. The one I thought was dead still doesn't move much, but is not moving much in a completely different spot from yesterday, and this spot in is a place I can look closely and see that she is, in fact, moving a tiny bit. They do seem to have liked the water change.

I am definitely going to keep the duckweed. Peanut loves eating it, also, if I get too much. Thanks for the behavior reassurance, Lucerne. :)

Aw they're so cute. I love shrimp. I want to get some cherries form my tropical tank. I have ghost shrimp right now and they are quite entertaining, but a bit hard to find. I always think that they've been eaten and then they make an apperance. Hope you end up with many shrip babies. Congrats.

Shrimps are so much fun! :)

My shrimp repeatedly forced their way into the filter intake when I first got them, even though the hole looked like they were too small. I had to get a sponge.

They have been super fun to watch. This is a great tank to have next to one's desk.

Shawn, I am not horribly worried about them going through the overflow because of the way this filter is designed. They'd have to swim through a HUGE sponge on the other side to get to the actual pump part. So they could go through, but then that'd pretty much be the end of the adventure. This tank is good for shrimp for that reason, I think.

I have more update!

I found at least one baby shrimp in my tank today! I took this awesome picture of the little thing:

100_1546.jpg

It was SO tiny, the camera had no chance of focusing on it. The diameter of that spout, for comparison, is about half an inch.

I will take more pictures when I and my camera can find the lil bugger(s). :D

Ohhhh, congrats on the shrimp and babies!

Squeeee! A tiny baby shrimp! They really are interisting little things aren't they?

wow! that baby is so itty bitty, I can't believe you spotted it! congrats :)

I saw a baby shrimp again last night. It's much bigger, but still tiny enough that I couldn't convince the camera that it was what I wanted to focus on. Nonetheless, here is another baby photo! The baby is on the moss ball, just slightly off to the lower right of center. There is a whole shrimp kind of hiding down in the dark for a size comparison.

100_1587.jpg

Awesome! :D

Hope you get many more babies.

Thanks you two!

I borrowed my husband's somewhat nicer camera and managed to get this family photo:

DSC04817.jpg

It's a little fuzzy (this is mostly user error, I think) but you can see the baby just in front of and facing the larger shrimp (which may not be the mom but is at least an aunt or something :D ).

Edited by kortniee

It's so tiny and cute! Thanks for sharing!