Tropicals and Goldies...?

Pontosfan

I know keeping tropical fish with goldfish is discouraged (and I belive with good reason in most cases) but I wondered if anyone has had any success stories with regards to this.

The most I've done is kept danios with goldfish which worked extremely well, and indeed, they lived quite happily together for years.

I've only ever kept plecos with goldfish. My friend's sister kept tropicals with goldfish. It didn't go well I assume since she was surprised to learn that I still have the same fish I bought when she bought hers.

I used to keep a pleco with my goldfish a long time ago, mainly to keep the algae in check. Never personally had problems, but I don't do it anymore. I'm too afraid of their tendency to suck on the slimecoat of goldfish. I do know some people on here have had success with bristlenose plecs, though. They stay small.

735151157_7266d79c9b.jpg

HPIM0452.jpg

I kept a goldie with trops in a 20g tank for awhile when I got back into fishkeeping about 5 years ago. I would have to say it was a bad idea overall though because he was chased around by a molly and swordtails quite a bit. Eventually he developed septicemia from the stress and water conditions since I was overstocked. He had red streaks all over his body and he just sat on the bottom of the tank only coming up for food. I thought I would lose him for sure but I found out about a medicated food--Jungle antibacterial--that might help. He ate it and in about 10 days he was looking and acting like his old self. But I knew he needed his own space with other gf by then so I upgraded to a 30g. If you want other fish in with your gf I would recommend rosie reds. They're not trops of course but have the same requirements as gf in regards to food and water temp. I also did this for awhile and the gf got along great with the rosie's. I only separated them because I got more gf and needed the space. Rosie's have their own tank now. This might not work if your goldies are really big though as they may try to eat the minnows!

HPIM9730.jpg