Ryukin spawn!

AquaAddict

just got home from the chiropractor and there are eggs on the mops in the ryukin/moor tank!! will update when done collecting eggs!

kortniee don't worry you won't have to steal any. I'm sure I will have enough to share :) After looking closer It appear the female is my calico ryukin and the male is a black moor. It will be interesting to see what comes out of them.

Edited by Patti

Patti, what do you usually do with your home bred fish? Just out of curiosity. Do you sell or donate them to LFS, or do you sell them to people? I am sure some people here on Koko's would happily buy fish from you.

Because that way they know the fish came from a good source and are healthy. I know that I personally would rather buy fish from you, Alex, Ichthius and whoever else breeds, than buying from online sellers. :)

We all just need more room! :rofl

Fang i usually donate 6 fry from every new species i breed to my local club as part of their BAP program. Then I sell a few at local auctions, aquabid sometimes (don't like too) and a few local stores buy some of my fish. I also know a lot of fish guys that i trade/sale fish to.

I got to looking in the mops to see how they did. I must have caught the end because they have not released in a while. I got 5 mops which is not very good but looking at the mops i would guess there is several hundred on each one!! Sure hope they hatch :wish:

Pics Looks like there is a pretty good number of eggs on all the mops. Here is a few pics of the mops and eggs.

Here is a pic of the mops in a sterilite tote

001-10.jpg

Eggs!!

002-7.jpg

Dude what do you give these fish :lol:rofl

Lots of clean H2O.

Yup. Spawning can be induced in goldfish by daily water changes with the temp difference of a few degrees :)

Dang Alex way to give it away. ;)

One thing that i have noticed when breeding is the change in weather drives fish crazy. If you can change water around a weather change preferably one that involves precipitation it will trigger alot of fish to breed. Most fish breed during the rainy season in the wild. When it rains there is usually a drop in barometric pressure. Im not a scientist so i dont know why it causes fish to breed all i know is it does.

Haha. Do you think it's easier to do it during winter or spring/summer? I was going to wait until spring/summer to do it, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from doing it now. I have all the equipment I need now. :)

Edit: Along the line of thunderstorms, the moon phase seems to play a role, such as the full moon. (This is no hoax, as many goldfish breeders have observed this and commented on it.)

Edited by dnalex

Haha. Do you think it's easier to do it during winter or spring/summer? I was going to wait until spring/summer to do it, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from doing it now. I have all the equipment I need now. :)

Edit: Along the line of thunderstorms, the moon phase seems to play a role, such as the full moon. (This is no hoax, as many goldfish breeders have observed this and commented on it.)

I honestly could not answer that question as i have not even had a year of goldfish keeping under my belt. We started keeping them last march or april. Moon phases are a new one to me. I have heard some things mentioned about it before but I will have to take note of when i have had things spawn. If i wanted to i could probably pull most of my old breeder award program reports I have submitted to my club. Most of them have spawn dates and I could compare them to the lunar cycle. It would be interesting to know. It may take awhile to get all the reports but I am sure our BAP chair would be more than willing to do it for me.

I have submitted probably 30-40 reports all different species so it maybe interesting to see. Some of the livebearers i have breed I don't know spawn dates on though.

• Admin

Lots of clean H2O.

Yup. Spawning can be induced in goldfish by daily water changes with the temp difference of a few degrees :)

Well I know that silly :P

Just seems there something in that water :lol

Lots of clean H2O.

Well I know that silly :P

Just seems there something in that water :lol

Only thing out of the ordinary is a few guppies ;)

I hope to breed someday. Reading your threads is good reading, and learning from your experience. Thanks very much for sharing.

Breeding is not all that hard. With any fish the biggest thing is to keep them happy. Happy fish breed. Most import thing i have found regardless of the species you are attempting to breed is consistancy.

Edited by Patti