Sign in to follow this  
whynotrockit

So we bought two fish and now ones crazy?

We just got two orando's and I did notice that one was in a tank with bigger orando's but passed it off (should have probably went with my intuition). Anyway we got two and now one of them is trying to bump into the other. I got them at two different pets marts. Is this going to be a problem? They are small, but the one is more fat and pudgy while the other is more lean.

It is possible that the chaser is a boy, and the chased a girl, and this would simply be breeding behavior.

Maybe you could post a video of this? :)

Hello.

This is unrelated, but I just noticed in the video that the smaller oranda, and the larger oranda to a much lesser extent, is clamping his/her fins quite a bit. I would recommend checking your water parameters first to make sure that the tank cycle is intact, and then treating with 0.1% salt and Prazi ASAP.\, for flukes.

Edited by dnalex

I agree. Especially, if they came from two different sources and weren't quarantined. How big is your tank and how many fish do you have?

I can only agree with Alex and Amy. They look like they are not 100% happy, and flukes are common in new fish, thanks to the stress of being handled and moved so much. :)

Sorry I'm new but what do you mean by checking your water parameters first to make sure that the tank cycle is intact?

I mean, will you check your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, as well as pH? Thanks

Ohhh well we checked it before Bruce died, and everything read fine. I'll go get those readings. Is there something I can read for new people? I don't even know what flukes is...

• * Ammonia Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level – 20ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 ph level, chlorine 0, hardness 150, alkalinity 180

I just saw that my nitrates were high

Edited by whynot

Would you please check now? Parameters are dynamic and while old values are certainly informative as to the history of the tank, it doesn't tell us much about the present, especially when there have been some changes.

Flukes are small monogenean flatworms. These external parasites attack gills, fins, and other parts of the body. When fish are significantly infected on fins, they begin to clamp as a sign of distress and discomfort at those sights. They may also flash, or rubbing against surfaces, and dart. Fins clamping could be the result of bad water (which was why I asked you to check parameters), external parasites, the primary suspect is flukes. Flukes are treated with praziquantel. We usually treat with a liquid formula called Prazipro.

OK I see what your saying. We just checked them and below is the results:

* Ammonia Level - 0ppm

• * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level – 20ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 ph level, chlorine 0, hardness 150 (which salt will help), alkalinity 180