Sign in to follow this  
whynotrockit

Fish had dropsy does it matter?

OK so my fish recently died of dropsy so we found another one. My question is does do I need to start my tank cycle over? Is there a bacteria of dropsy in the tank? This might be a stupid question but I don't like to risk it.

Thanks

Well, drospy is just a symptom, not a disease. If the disease was bacterial, it might still linger in the tank, but doesn't have to. And even if, that doesn't mean it has to affect the new fish.

Did you ever figure out what caused the dropsy in the first place?

You are most likely okay. A stable cycle is pretty important. Keep a close eye on the new one to be safe.

And you can always clean out everything else but the filter!

Another question I have though, is there any fish in that tank at all at the moment? If not, did you feed the cycle with something to keep it from starving?

I don't think swim bladder disorder can cause dropsy. Sometimes fish with dropsy can develop bouyancy issues though because the kidneys are malfuctioning and that has a negative impact on the swim bladder. So maybe that's what you experienced with your previous fish. It's possible that whatever caused the dropsy on your old fish (parasite and/or bacteria) is still lingering in your tank. If I were you, I would have completely broken down and sterilized everything, and then completed a new fishless cycle before getting any new fish. (Here I am assuming the dropsy fish that died was your only fish)

Edited by Sakura

True SBD cant cause Dropsy. :)