Sign in to follow this  
jstorly

Will I be overstocked with a crown pearlscale?

Okay....(sigh)...I've been tormenting myself for a long time debating about getting what I believe would be the finishing touch to my menagerie of waterpiggies: a crown pearlscale. I'm going to describe my setup and the goldfish I already have, and I need some real honest input. If it's not a good idea to get this fish, then I need to hear this right upfront because I don't want to take a fish if I can't give her a good quality life, so here goes...

I currently have two goldfish tanks. The smaller of my two tanks is a 55 gallon with 2 ryukin, 2 black moors, and 2 bristlenose plecostomus (not sure of the plural form of 'plecostomus'). This tank receives a 20-30% water change every third day and is filtered by a Tetra Whisper 60, Penguin 350, and 2 Hydro Pro IV sponge filters powered by air stones. There is also some java fern and some apple snails in this tank.

My larger tank is a 75 gallon with 2 ryukin, 1 oranda, 1 common (I think he's stunted due to a serious illness he had when he was a wee thing), and 1 shubunkin. This tank also receives a 20-30% water change every third day and is filtered by a Fluval 306 canister, Penguin 350, and 2 Hydro Pro V sponge filters powered by air stones. There is also some java fern and a few apple snails in this tank as well.

I'm aware that theoretically the shub and common should not be with the fancies, but so far they have not out-competed anybody for food. If anything, Rose, my oranda, is my most voracious piggie. I'm thinking if I get the crown pearlscale I will put her in the 75 gallon, but I was also debating about moving my more assertive ryukin to the 75 gallon and putting the crown pearlscale in my 55, since most of my friends in this tank are more gentle and passive.

I'm also aware that I may already be fully-stocked or even overstocked, and if so, I need to hear this from someone so I don't make a mistake. Any input will be welcome!

You actually are overstocked in both tanks already. Just add them up, 10 gallons per fancy, 20 per single tails (although you can probably go with 10 for the stunted one), 10 for each BN pleco and 2-3 gallons for each snail.

But maybe there is room for another tank? I mean, PetCo has the $ 1 per gallon tank sale, and a nice 40 gallon tank would be room to do a little bit of switcharoo, like putting the two single tails and some of the snails in the 40g and that might make room for a pearlie in one of the other tanks? :D

Like all four ryus, plus the oranda and the remaining snails in the 75, and the two BN plecos, plus the two moors and the pearlie (which stay usually rather small fish) in the 55. :D :D That way you also have all of the more "delicate" breeds together in one tank, the single tails in another, and the larger fancies in yet another tank, with the snails and plecos split up among these tanks.

Kinda a neat idea, huh? :D :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Fang, you don't have pearlscales do you? :) When I got Pearls a year ago she was a marble with head and fins. By midsummer, she was a ping pong ball. Then I put her outside. She's passed golf ball size and is headed for tennis ball. True, she's not very long, but if you could remodel her to the shape of a common, she'd be about 7 inches without tail. One woman described the pearlie she had in her pond for two years as the size of a softball. These are not small fish!

Seriously? Awesome! I kept reading pearlies stay smaller than most other breeds. There was even a topic about that (or something similar?) somewhere on here.

Or maybe that was the tiku pearlscale I am confusing with the crown pearlscale? o.O THERE ARE TOO MANY BREEDS!! :rofl

EDIT: However, overstocked either way without an extra tank :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Well, some people seem to think that size is length. Pearls isn't very long, but she's equally tall and wide, so that makes a big fish. I'm not the only one here to observe that their pearlie is the slowest swimmer and the first fish to the food.

Pearls has a little wen that, fortunately, won't grow to cover her eyes like poor Cappie, my oranda. So I guess shes a crown pearlscale.

I have seen some large pearlies and they are incredible. They can be delicate fish, though, which is why it is harder to find a large one unless it has received excellent care.

I have to admit peralscales are some of my favourites.I've heard that crowned pearlscales tend to be slightly less round - does anyone know if this is true? I can't make any judgements on my little one yet. So far I've had very few issues with mine, but I know it came from good stock.

Anyway...I agree that yes, the tanks are already a bit overstocked. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with another aquarium.... ;)

WoW!! I wanna see a softball sized one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OK, I'm really confused now because I definitely don't think I can get another tank right now. This pretty much rules out getting the pearlscale, but now I'm concerned because I don't really want to give up any of the goldfish I have now. I've had them for about a year, and I'd miss them so much. Still, if I have to, I would prefer them to have a better life...