New pics of the baby corydoras

number20121

I have 6 cories left. That's not too bad I think, it's still around 45% of the initial fry, after culling and filter accidents.

"Filter accidents??" - you ask

"But didn't you just have this Whisper i3 in tank filter that runs on an ultra weak air pump?" - Yes, that's the filter I have.

"Didn't you cover the intake to make it secure?" - Oh yes I did. With stocking, rubberbanded around the intake. Impossible to be sucked in.

"Then how did you get casualties by filter accident?" - No this is where it gets interesting:

I wasn't aware of the fact these little guys apparently like to swim "up stream". They swam INTO the filter by taking the filter's half submerged outlet. That led to the fish being trapped inside the intake tube, which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for a steady stream of uprising bubbles violently twirling the little guys around.

I had to lower the water level eventually, and block the outlet with a taller foam piece so they can't get in there anymore.

Anyway.

These six guys are so darn cute! I got five big ones and one tiny one. They are now being fed Saki Hikari pellets twice daily, one pellet each. On this they will nibble over the following hours until it is completely eaten. Ever since I feed this, they are really going through a growth spurt.

Unlike the goldfish fry which looks like larvae, these guys were almost fully developed from day 1, but ultra tiny.

Now that they are a bit bigger, you can see all their details. Those must be the worlds' tiniest barbels :D

babycories01121201.jpg

babycories01121202.jpg

You can really see all the fins really well in this picture, tiny anal, pelvic, pectorals, dorsal and cute caudal. How adorable :)

babycories01121203.jpg

No.6 was investigating the other end of the tank (I just got done with a water change and this is always so exciting to them. They start investigating for food instantly)

In this photo, you can see the tiny guy (the one furthest to the right, but still close to the food)

babycories01121204.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

SO CUTE!!!!! Is that a little pellet they are gnawing on? I didn't realize they were sooooo very tiny.

Thank you for the new pics!

Yes, that's the S.H. pellet! If you have ever seen them, you can imagine how wee these fish are :D

OMG they must be so TINY! How precious! Too bad the filter 'adventurers' did make it, those were probably the wildest ones lol!

OMG they must be so TINY! How precious! Too bad the filter 'adventurers' did make it, those were probably the wildest ones lol!

I bet at first they were like "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" but three hours later they were more like "@.@ ...............X_X "

So cute Fang :D

are you planning to keep them all?

^yeah how many adults do you have? That'll make for a nice little school of fish.

I currently only got 4 adults, so if all six make it, that will be a nice school of cory cats! :)

Very nice work Fang! You are quite the breeder. I love watching fry grow up. Its probably the main reason i like keeping fish.