White oranda turning orange...?

Niffarious

So..I am familiar with the fact that most goldfish will lose black, which often fades to white or orange. I have seen orange goldfish turn white, black turn orange, etc etc. I've never actually seen this before.

When I picked out this oranda, it was because I loved its shape (has quite a hump) and that its whole face was red, as opposed to just the cap.

Recently it has started to turn...orange! At first just the fins, now spots on the body are slowly turning orange. At first I was worried about ammonia burns. However, there is no detectable ammonia in the water and the other fish (including my more sensitive crowned pearlscale) have nothing like this. Also, the orange keeps getting darker - as you can see on the fins and tail.

Is white to orange, especially on a fish bred for white and red colour, a common colour change? Could something else be causing this aside from genetics?

HI! Yes, it's reasonably common and normal, I think. My blue oranda, Julie, has been transitioning to white over the past several months. Now, to my dismay, I see a couple orange flecks popping up. I've noticed also that a lot of the time, if the fish is white, that the orange tends to pop up first at the beginnings of their anal or tail fins. But sometimes it's just a random orange scale that spreads out over time. Anyways, my point is, yeah this is normal. :)

Edited by Rai

Yes, this can happen. I didn't exactly have a fish that changed to a lot of orange, but my white telescope has developed a few small flecks of orange. I think this doesn't happen as often as an orange fish turning white, but a white fish turning orange is nothing too out of the ordinary :)

Haha, thanks guys. Yes...this one has cute down to an art. I did choose this one more for body shape than anything else. I'm a bit said I won't have a snow-white goldfish, but the colour change should be interesting.

I think I'm mostly surprised - I figured getting a fish that was clearly from red-capped oranda stock would make it less of a guessing game. Wrong again... ;)

I'm not familiar with Dainichi foods, but if they're labeled as "color-enhancing," that could be what's going on. I've only had white fish turn orange when I've fed color-enhancing foods or an excess of spirulina-based foods. Orange to white is a much more common change; white to orange, while not unheard of, makes me think of diet first.

That's a shame then - this same oranda has had issues with floating. Absolutely nothing worked until this food. I'd rather have the fish orange and also happy, healthy and not floating though.

I'm not familiar with Dainichi foods, but if they're labeled as "color-enhancing," that could be what's going on. I've only had white fish turn orange when I've fed color-enhancing foods or an excess of spirulina-based foods. Orange to white is a much more common change; white to orange, while not unheard of, makes me think of diet first.

This particular Dainichi food is called "ultra" because it's ultra color enhancing...I am pretty sure it has tons of spirulina in it :D

I'm glad to hear that the food is helping with the floaty issue. All Dainichi foods have koi clay in it :)

Edit: The fish is absolutely gorgeous! I bet it's going to turn out some incredible colors :)

Edited by dnalex

Yep it looks like it! Sadly the place only carries this particular kind of dainichi goldfish food.

I think you are right though, I'm excited to see how this fish will turn out in the end.

Haha, well this is entertaining. My beautiful gold lionhead appears to be turning white. He used to be uniform gold, with a little white spot on his head. Now his head, fins and tail fin are dark orange, his body is light gold, and the white on his belly is creeping up his sides...and his white head spot is bigger. I think in the end I'm going to have the same white to orange ratio, just switched between fish. :D

Haha, well this is entertaining. My beautiful gold lionhead appears to be turning white. He used to be uniform gold, with a little white spot on his head. Now his head, fins and tail fin are dark orange, his body is light gold, and the white on his belly is creeping up his sides...and his white head spot is bigger. I think in the end I'm going to have the same white to orange ratio, just switched between fish. :D

:rofl :rofl Is he getting the same food?

Haha, yep! Everyone is getting the same thing. So.... :idont

It looks like pretty quick I'm going to have more room AND more money...this directly translates into more and bigger aquariums. So, maybe in a few months I'll have every colour under the rainbow anyway!