Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

pandamanda111

Oh, and you asked about the gravel. I would continue on the schedule that was suggested previously (remove 25% a week) :)

EDIT: my one concern about the smaller bottle of Prime is that with daily water changes you will be going through the Prime relatively fast, and I am going to ask you to double dose the Prime just to be on the safe side. So, I don't want you to get in the position that you run out of it and can't get more. But of course it is up to you :)

Edited by tithra

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once the ich is gone I'm done with daily wcs...right? so like 2 weeks?

Oh, and you asked about the gravel. I would continue on the schedule that was suggested previously (remove 25% a week) :)

gotcha

will i need to change all the water before adding prime as to not mix conditioners?

As I said in my earlier post, ich's not that hard to cure if you're prepared for it. Without heat, and without the ability to buy micron filters, I think your best bet is going to be the salt. Once you get the Prime (I'm just not positive about the Top Fin product), continue the treatments you've already begun. Remember that salt does not evaporate out of the tank at all, so the only way of removing it once it's there is through water changes, so these will be necessary once treatment is complete.

The only thing I'd worry about at all is the lack of gravel long-term. Bare-bottom tanks are fine with adequate places for bacteria to live, but if I'm not mistaken, the OP has a 10 gallon tank. I don't see what filter he's using, but a single filter along with a smaller tank and no gravel will be very hard to keep enough beneficial bacteria in the tank to handle the nitrogen in the system...especially with any new water that's added bringing more ammonia into the tank.

If you're going to run a bare-bottom tank during this (and after), I'd recommend getting something like BioMax to add to your filter for additional surface area that the bacteria can live on. BioMax is nice because it works well fully submerged, which is the environment most often seen in power filters and internal filters.

She is getting a 30 gallon with an appropriate filter soon, I believe she has also modified her current filter to not use cartridges. I can't remember if she has gotten the biomax as was suggested yet though :)

I fully support the bare bottom for her because it will be easier to clean and give the fish more water volume overall. But removing it slowly is important as to not get a cycle bump :)

Edited by tithra

How about this-

I, Mandie M., promise to buy everything you tell me is absolutely nessessarry the instant I can afford it. I'm tryin my best, but for now, the only money that I have to spend (besides my money in my 30g tank fund) is...well, $6...;) how sad is that? Admit it. It's pretty sad;) lol but I do have a $6 petsmart gift card...I will buy all the stuff for my filter and stuff ASAP...I promise! My top priority right now is really just getting my Goldies healthy! I will buy prime with my gift card, and probably won't buy the other stuff till I get my 30g. I need money for my 30g, and mom isn't too happy about buying me all my fish stuff that I want. She doesn't seem to understand my excitement about pets that sit in a box of water that you can't pet and hold...that's why we have 3 cats and a dog!;) lol;)

Sounds good to me. Good luck, pandamanda111. Your fish should come through this just fine.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm treating ich right now myself. I purchased 14 fish to go into a 125 gallon tank knowing they had it when I bought them. They are currently in a 20 gallon until they finish quarantine. Afterward, they'll be transferred to a 55 gallon to grow a bit before they get to their final home as they'd otherwise be food for the other occupants. Treating ich in this case is a small price to pay though: I got them at $0.70 each instead of $4.29...not bad for simply the cost of raising the heat in the tank for a couple weeks. :)

Sounds good to me. Good luck, pandamanda111. Your fish should come through this just fine.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm treating ich right now myself. I purchased 14 fish to go into a 125 gallon tank knowing they had it when I bought them. They are currently in a 20 gallon until they finish quarantine. Afterward, they'll be transferred to a 55 gallon to grow a bit before they get to their final home as they'd otherwise be food for the other occupants. Treating ich in this case is a small price to pay though: I got them at $0.70 each instead of $4.29...not bad for simply the cost of raising the heat in the tank for a couple weeks. :)

Thanks! Good luck with your fishies too!:)

You are doing amazingly Mandie :) You have limited resources at your disposal and unfortunately we are having to tap into those because we are triaging priorities right now (keeping your fish alive in the 10 gallon is coming before you getting a 30 gallon).... I am consistently impressed at your willingness and interest in learning how to care for your fish, and your dedication to doing the best job you can with what you have available to you! :)

You are doing amazingly Mandie :) You have limited resources at your disposal and unfortunately we are having to tap into those because we are triaging priorities right now (keeping your fish alive in the 10 gallon is coming before you getting a 30 gallon).... I am consistently impressed at your willingness and interest in learning how to care for your fish, and your dedication to doing the best job you can with what you have available to you! :)

Thanks tithra!!!:) and thank you for always helpfully answering my millions of questions! Ur the best! Idk what Id do without ya!

I will wait to hear back on whether you were able to get the Prime and we will go from there... Please post back if anything changes with Ernie's condition before then :)

EDIT: also please remember to test you water again tomorrow and let us know if there is any change.

Edited by tithra

If you haven't done it already (I'm not sure if I was clear before), would you please do a big water change to get the salt that we added yesterday out of the water.

I don't know how toxic .25 ammonia is mixed with .1% salt, but just to be on the safe side, lets definitely remove the salt until you are able to get the Prime (unless of course other weigh in on this :) )

:) You always want ammonia to be at 0 ppm.

I think that the ammonia in your tap will become a non issue once you have a bigger filter and the bigger tank. I think that what is happening right now is that you do not have enough of a bacterial colony to handle all the ammonia your fish produce plus the ammonia in the tap. Once you get better filtration, you will have more filter media for the beneficial bacteria to colonize and so you will have a better more stable cycle that should handle the ammonia in the tap and the ammonia produced by the fish.

Until then, I am trying to figure out for you if you can just dose Prime daily to keep ammonia detoxified, without doing the water change. This would be ideal. But I am not totally sure that you can use Prime in this way so I have asked others in the subscribers forum... and if anyone reading this knows the answer please chime in :) That way you could probably get away with a water change every 3-4 days or so (you'll have to keep an eye on your ammonia to figure this out).

EDIT: and then when your cycle has stabilized to handle all the ammonia you will just dose with Prime when you do your weekly water change :)

Edited by tithra

Once you get your tank healthy, the bacteria in the tank will consume the .25 ppm of ammonia rather quickly so it won't be an issue. Also, with you dosing the Prime each time you do a water change, the .25 ppm won't hurt the fish until it is gone anyway.