Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

pandamanda111

Okay...you are gonna think I'm nuts, but here goes...

So today when I woke up, I fed the fishies as usual, and noticed that there were 2 especially large white spots on Ernie's tail. They were probably 1.5x the size of the other ones. There were still a bunch of other regular sized ones though. I went to school, and went straight from school to a friends house, then my mom piked me up from there and we went to petsmart, and i came home @ 8. I ran upstairs to turn off my tank light, (usually I turn it off at 6:30!! But I wasn't home. ) and then I ran back down to eat dinner and do my homework. I didn't really look at my fish at all. I just ran up, turned off their light, and ran back down for dinner. At 10:30ish, I finally finished my hw, and started my wc. I noticed that my gravel vac was sucking up these little white thingies, but didn't think much of it. 2 mins into my wc, I looked at Ernie's tail. All his spots, except the two largest ones (which are a lot smaller now) and maybe one or 2 others, were GONE. his dorsal fin is up, and he is swimming around happily. Umm...??? What on earth? And call me crazy, but I seriously think that the white dots the gravel vac was suckin up were his spots! They like fell off...!!!?? Is this possible, or am I just dillusional?;) I did a 70%ish wc anyways to get out whatever the little white thingies are. I think I got out most of them, but I added the 9tsp of salt anyways to kill whatever I might have missed. And to make him 100% better! So what's up w/ this? I'll let u no if the spots come back tomorrow, and I'll do a water test if I remember in the morning and at night! I'm trying my hardest! I sure hope I did everything right!:)

-Mandie

Ps- do u think I can take out the rest of my gravel 2mro? I am so excited to make my tank barebottom! You have no idea how thrilled I am about the whole "no cleaning anymore gravel" idea! If I took out the rest tomorrow, it will be the 3rd night of gradual gravel removal;) it's really hard to get out though, so wish me luck!;)

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does he look today? any white spots anywhere? (I am not sure what to think about them just disappearing like that, but I think the salt is still a good measure right now).

How is his overall behavior now? Any bottom sitting/clamped fins etc.?

Can you do me a favor and test your tap water for ammonia and let me know what the result is?

What water conditioner are you using? (are you using Prime?)

Edited by tithra

Kk. My tap water has 0 ammonia. Ernie and Bert both have clamped fins and their dorsal fins are down. Ernie has 5 white spots. Less than he used to, but more than last night. Ernie puts his dorsal up every once in a while, but Bert keeps it down almost always. What on earth is this?? D:

Okay, well that's good that you have no ammonia in your tap. What water conditioner are you using?

So, it looks like you are going to have to do daily water changes to keep ammonia at 0, and each time you change your water you will need to add back in the amount of salt you took out by changing the water.

How big is your container of salt? Would you be able to get a container of the canning/pickling salt from the grocery store?

Salt treatment for ich is .3%, so you would generally raise it by .1% each day (or every 12 hrs) until you get to .3%. But I am concerned about the ammonia in your tank. If you truly can commit to daily 50% water changes and testing your ammonia daily, then I would suggest doing another 50% water change (if you haven't already) and adding back in the 4.5 teaspoons you will have taken out with the water change plus another 9 teaspoons (so 13.5 teaspoons total). This will bring you up to .2%

I am concerned because the higher the salt content gets, the more dangerous the ammonia in the water becomes for your fish. SO please let me know if you have any doubt that you will be able to keep up with daily 50% water changes, adding back in the salt (and having enough salt to add back in), and testing your ammonia daily.

I know that you don't have the best system for water changes, which is why I may sound like I am questioning you're ability to keep up with daily water changes.

Let me know what you think.

I have plenty of salt left, so that's good. It's about a quart, I think. 50% daily seems like a lot of work, but I guess if it makes him better I'm up for it. How many weeks do I need to keep that up for? Because I will be gone for 4 days during break...:/ I use top fun water conditioner. It's been 3 days since I 1st removed 30% of the gravel. I also removed about 30% yesterday. Do u think I could take all the rest out today? I am super excited for barebottom!:)

I don't have a LOT of experience with goldfish (mainly tropical fish for me), but I have a few things that might help you.

The first is this nearly perfect write up on treating ich: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

The second is that goldfish can withstand temps of 86 F for an extended amount of time - I researched this for another person a while back. Whether you use heat or not (I highly recommend it as at 86 F the ich organism cannot survive long enough in its life cycle to continue reproducing), you're going to want to continue the treatment until at least 5 days AFTER you stop seeing any white spots. This is important! If you stop treatment sooner, it's likely that there is still some ich alive in the tank that will reemerge. It's also quite possible (and typical) for the spots to disappear completely only to come back again during treatment. Remember not to stop treatment until at least 5 days have passed without seeing ich.

Good luck - and don't panic. Ich is one of the easiest things to treat in freshwater fish.

edit-AHH! i guess i didn't wait the full 5 mins for the water test color to fully develop...i left it on my desk, and now it reads that my tap has 0.25 ammonia! (ew...does that mean I'm brushing my teeth with ammonia water?) so what can i do? if i do a wc, I'm still just adding ammonia water to the tank...so there really isn't a point...what should i do? helphelphelp...:/

What water conditioner are you using? Most detoxify ammonia as they remove chlorine and/or chloramines. As long as it says it either removes it or detoxifies it, you're going to be fine. Ammonia exists in several different forms. Water conditioners make sure that if there is any ammonia in the water, that it's in a state that isn't harmful to your fish. As far as brushing your teeth with it, I'm afraid so. But don't stress. It exists naturally in water and your own body makes a lot more of it internally than you're ingesting. Normal and non-harmful.

I just read above and noticed you use the top fin water conditioner. Reading the label on it, I'm pretty sure you're fine as long as you use the amount it recommends using. In the future, I recommend using Prime, Safe, or API Tap Water Conditioner (use the API one only if your water does NOT have chloramines).

On second thought, use Prime. It's readily available, whereas Safe is harder to come by (although much more economical) and both of them handle ammonia a lot better than API's Tap Water Conditioner. Since your water has ammonia in it already, I'd switch from the Top Fin you're using now for long-term use.

Yes, Prime would be a good option if you had funds for it. It will detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours allowing your water to be safe between your daily water changes. Is that something you think you could get.

Do you think your parents would be willing to get that for you?

I have also asked dnalex to take a look at this thread and provide some input if he can :)

Edited by tithra

ohmygoodness! look tithra! somebody else jumped in to save you from all my questions!! thank you, gervahlt!!! :) when mine is empty, i plan on getting prime.:) i will read the label on the bottle of my top fin water conditioner.

One last thought on my way to dinner: even after using the conditioners, the tests will show ammonia. Don't worry about it as long as you're using the right amount of conditioner. Again, the ammonia will still be there, but it will be in a non-toxic state. The tests don't differentiate between them.

Yes, Prime would be a good option if you had funds for it. It will detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours allowing your water to be safe between your daily water changes. Is that something you think you could get.

Do you think your parents would be willing to get that for you?

I have also asked dnalex to take a look at this thread and provide some input if he can :)

thank you!!!! :D:D:D

and how much is prime? I'm not sure if my parents would be willing to buy it. i have $6 left on my petsmart gift card though...

Let's hold off on raising the salt at all now that we know you have ammonia in the tap.

ok:)

One last thought on my way to dinner: even after using the conditioners, the tests will show ammonia. Don't worry about it as long as you're using the right amount of conditioner. Again, the ammonia will still be there, but it will be in a non-toxic state. The tests don't differentiate between them.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh!! i didn't know that!!!! thank you!! i wonder if mine is the bad kind or the safe kind...is there a way to tell?

haha, ask questions! that's how we all learn.

You should only use the Prime from now on (don't use the other water conditioner). I don't think the Prime will fix them, but it will make it safer to raise your salt level. It will detoxify the ammonia in the tank for a short period of time. You will still need to do a daily water change unfortunately, but the Prime will keep your water much safer between those daily water changes :) and will allow you to raise the salt level to .3% so that you can treat the ich.