Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

pandamanda111

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not ideal, but not horrible either, I would do a 50% water change and try to bring it down to 0 if possible especially considering that you are trying to get them well.

Edited by CindyGen

You need to do a water change. Any ammonia in the water will be toxic once we add salt.

You want the ammonia test to always read 0 ppm (so yellow will be the color, no green)

So, what I would like you to do is a big water change (80% if you can), so that we can start with clean water. And vacuum your gravel really well, you will want to vacuum your gravel really well during the treatment because the ich can hide in your gravel.

Then after your water change you are going to add 1 teaspoon (not tablespoon) of the aquarium salt per gallon. (so, 10 teaspoons for your 10 gallon tank)

* Before you add it you need to make sure it is really well dissolved. I heat up the salt and some aquarium water on the stove until the salt is totally dissolved, then wait for it to cool to room temp, then add this to the tank.

I am going to go back on what I said and ask that you only add 9 teaspoons of salt (this is because your tank will not actually be 10 gallons full due to gravel etc.)

Yes, you can add the 9 teaspoons dissolved in water at once.

I can't stress enough though how important it is going to be for you to keep on top of testing your water and doing water changes. You will also need to be replacing the salt you took out when you change your water, so you may need to get more salt. Do you think you will be able to keep up/commit to this routine for a couple weeks?

I wouldn't worry about testing the water again after you change it, a large water change will get it down to 0. But I am going to ask you to test it tomorrow morning before you go to school and tomorrow night and post the results here again.

also, just to confirm, the last time you changed your water was 3 days ago and you changed 40%, is that correct?

Assuming that your ammonia went up to .25 in 3 days, you will probably need to be changing 50% your water during the salt treatment at least every other day. I don't want to wait for you to get an ammonia reading before you change it :)

Edited by tithra

At least a couple weeks. Until we stop salting the tank.

Alternatively we could potentially not add salt for a few more days, you could test your ammonia each day and we could figure out exactly how long it takes before ammonia begins to build up in the tank. But without seeing Ernie and his current condition, I would like input from other members before suggesting that we hold off on starting treatment.

lol, I like your skepticism.

Okay, let's go ahead and put the salt it. 9 teaspoons dissolved :) This will get you to .1% salt.

Treatment time (so water changes every other day) will be 1-2 weeks depending on how he's doing/what you are seeing.

Could you also do me a favor and google "ich" and just tell me if what you see looks like what is on Ernie? It will look like small grains of salt, slightly raised. It probably is, but it would be good to get a little more confirmation before we raise the salt above .1%

Also, would you be able to email koko a picture to post again like you did before? :)

EDIT: also what is your tank temp now? (room temp if you don't have a thermometer in the tank)

Edited by tithra

^ I promise you she won't be annoyed, she will be happy to help :) It would be good if you could do that :) I think it would be better to get pics than to be wrong and have it be something else :)