Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

pandamanda111

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here's what you might do. If you know your tap ammonia is .50 you could start testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily. Don't do the every other day water changes, but test the water daily instead. Then, just like we did before, watch your parameters and let those tell you when you need to change the water.

If you are using the Prime that will detoxify the tap ammonia, so you just need to make sure that ammonia stays at .50 (or goes down), nitrite stays at 0ppm, and nitrate stays below 20ppm (between 5-10 is best). If anything changes, do a 50-80% water change (also I think you can go ahead and stop using the salt right now if you haven't already). Let us know when your parameters change :)

Sounds good. You can post results if it helps you keep track/you want input, but you don't have to :) You can just give us occasional updates if you want, whatever works best for you :)

The Prime will also detoxify the tap nitrite, so treat it as the same as the ammonia. If it goes above the tap amount you need to change your water. It's possible you read the test wrong yesterday. They can be tricky to read depending on lighting and how far/close you hold the tube to the card.

Gotcha. Not to be argumentative, but I really think I read it right yesterday. I tested that one twice cuz it was so hard to believe;). I'm 99.99% sure it was 0:). Hopefully the nitrites go down again soon:)

You changed your water after testing yesterday right?

I ask because if you didn't change the water yet and you got 0 yesterday and .25 today, then that would suggest this is new nitrite (fish produced as opposed to tap nitrite), so if this is the case I would suggest a water change.

If you did change your water yesterday after testing, then we can assume this is tap nitrite and has been detoxified by the Prime you added when you did your water change.

Does that make sense?

Okay, good :) It may be that your filter just takes awhile to process that nitrite. It will be interesting to see if nitrite is 0 tomorrow of if it's still .25

Hi! I tested my water. Sorry I didn't do it earlier, I've been really sick all day :/. I tested only nitrites and ammonia, I didn't have the energy to shake the nitrate test for as long as it asked. I will test it tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling:)

Ammonia- 0.25

Nitrites- some color in between 0 and 0.25- probably about 0.15-- I tested twice to make sure it was correct, an I got the same color both times.

:)

Did another test this morning. Keep in mind that this is day 4 without a wc (woot woot!)

Nitrite-0.5 :(:(

Nitrate- 10 (I think...is it just me or do the colors for 10 and 20 look exactly the same??)

Ammonia- 0.25

I realize that the nitrite reading isn't great, but is there any way I could put off the wc till tomorrow? I'm trying to take it easy today because i was pretty sick yesterday and want to go back to school tomorrow!!:) I could change 10% today if necessary, or if I absoloutely HAVE to, I will do a 50% wc. But if there's any way around it that would be fantastic:)

Edited by pandamanda111

Hi guys! Bert and Ernie keep on gasping at the surface:( our Internet is down, so I'm stuck on my phone. I can't see the form. Would somebody reply to this thread with the form do I can give u all the needed info? In the mean time:

Ammonia- 0.25

Nitrite- 0.5

Nitrate- 10

Ph- 8.2

25g tank, 2 ryukin goldfish, 1 is 1 & 3/4 inches, the other is a little over 1 inch. I have an AC70 (cycling) and a top fin 10 hob. I have a couple live plants in the tank. The fish are showing no signs of illness other than gasping. I'm working on uploading a video:)

Thanks!:)

-Mandie

Here you go

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thanks!

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level: 0.25

Nitrite Level: 0.5

Nitrate level: 10

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): ph- 8.2

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): ph- 8.2

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit, drops

Water temperature: 72*F

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25 gallons, about 2 or 3 weeks I think?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: ac70 and a top fin 10

How often do you change the water and how much? Whenever test kit says I need to;)

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4, 50%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, average 1 & 1/2 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners: prime

What do you feed your fish and how often?presoaked sinking omega one pellets. Every day besides Saturday (pea day!)

new fish added to the tank? Nope!

Any medications added to the tank? No.

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I did prazi for two days, will try again another time when tank is cycled. And salt.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope!