Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

pandamanda111

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're concerned about not having enough oxygen in the water you can lower the water level slightly so that the filter splashes on the surface a bit.

But if you are getting a decent amount of bubbles coming from your airstone you should be okay. It's hard for me to judge without being able to see it :)

I tried lowering the water level, but my dad complains that he can hear it from his bedroom;) so that's out. It does make a decent amount of bubbles. Hmmm...if it isn't the bubbler, what could the gasping be caused by? They don't gasp too often. Just every 10-40 minutes or so. Mostly Bert. Hmmm...I have a round airstone now, because I'm too short to get my arms all the way down to the bottom of the tank to put the bubble wand;) maybe if I get a bigger air pump I'll try again. Could it be that the bubbles are concentrated in one spot? The filters disturb the surface a bit too.

If the air pump is pushing out adequate air to run your airstone you are fine :)

As Alex pointed out, going up to the surface is not always gasping, they could also just be looking for food :) Sometimes a protein film develops on the surface of the water that attracts them to it :)

I would suggest putting the airstone on the opposite side from the filter if you haven't already, but other than that I think you are probably fine :) Even when the tank is filled up all the way, I know my AC 70 makes a decent amount of surface agitation to create extra oxygen in the tank

Yay! Post us some test results!

Make sure you read the instructions well on the nitrate kit... it is a little trickier than the others.

Will you do your tank Ph and tap Ph as well? (start with low range, if that is at the very top of the chart test with high range :) )

I would do a 50% change.

Will you still post readings for tap for everything (and recheck ammonia as well to make sure that hasn't changed in the tap)

Ph of 8.2 is just fine as long as it is stable. Goldies are fine in a pretty wide range of Ph's (I know there are members here who also have Ph of 8.2-8.4). The main concern is stability. If your Ph was 8.2, but dropped to 7.8 or something between your water changes, then that would be a concern. But 8.2 is nothing to worry about! :)

wait, you have nitrate twice... which one is nitrite??

Very interesting those tap parameters! I'm surprised you have readings for all three. If the Nitrate is indeed the 5 ppm, that makes me wonder how far along your tank truly is because that is your tank reading for nitrate as well, so that reading is just straight from the tap, not your cycle. But if nitrite is the .25 (that you have labeled as nitrate), but you tank nitrite is 0, that means you must have some nitrobacter bacteria to take care of the tap nitrite.

I guess for now you will unfortunately need to keep up with your water changes as you have been. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you are cycled!

Yep, you guessed correctly, nitrite is 0.25, and nitrate is 5. Sorry for the confusion. And bummer about the nitrates, but hey, I'm just proud my filter took care of the nitrites;) I hope it cycles super duper soon! All these water changes r exhausting;)

Very interesting those tap parameters! I'm surprised you have readings for all three.

Is it bad to have readings for all 3? Like do u know if it is unhealthy for people?

Very interesting those tap parameters! I'm surprised you have readings for all three.

Is it bad to have readings for all 3? Like do u know if it is unhealthy for people?

You know, I am not really sure. It certainly has happened to others here. My guess is that at those levels it is fine, they're pretty low. But I really have no idea. Maybe someone else will see this and weigh in, or you could post a separate topic in the water quality section to ask about it. :)