Bert and Ernie are gasping!:(

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level-unknown. getting it tested soon! sry
  • * Nitrite Level-?^
  • * Nitrate level-?^
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)-?^
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)-?^
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?-petsmart uses strips, so strips i guess!
  • * Water temperature?-71*F (around 20*C i think...)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?-10 gals (I'm saving up for a 30), and 4 months (it was cycled before that though)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?-mon/thurs-30%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?- 2 days ago, 40%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?- 2 ryukins, 1" each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?- Top fin water conditioner and ammonia remover
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?- Pre-soaked flakes ice every morning
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?- i got both fish around a month ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank?- nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.- none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?- tiny white bumps on tail fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?- dorsal fin down, WAS bottom sitting

Oh, please help my little ernie! Last week i noticed him hanging out at the bottom of the tank with his dorsal fin down, but that stopped so i thought he was fine. his dorsal fin was still down though, but i figured it was okay. bad choice. now i came home after leaving for the weekend, and he has little white bumps all over his tail fins! does he have ich? please help him. i really don't want to go buy more medicine...its expensive! would a little aquarium salt do the trick? i think bert is catching it too...his dorsal fin is down:(

Sounds like ich to me. I've only had an ich breakout once in my life of fish keeping, but salt-like specks is a sure sign. Other more experienced goldfish keepers can chime in, because the following is coming from my experience as a tropical fish keeper. (I am not 100% sure how fancy goldfish respond to heat.) The only way I've had success battling ich soon enough to save my fish with the most uninvasive measures was turning up the temp of the tank. The spots you see on your fish are actually larvae encased in a hard cyst. Medications and/or salt won't do diddly to those. Meds and salt only work in the free swimming stage of the parasite. The best (and fastest) way to get the cysts to hatch is to speed up their lifecycle by turning up the aquarium heat. Just how much heat a goldfish can stand is best left answered by a more experienced member. =)

I always salt all fish tanks.. and with that in combination with careful monitoring of water parameters, I've only incured an ich outbreak once. Ich is always the result of poor water quality.

Good luck!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Forgot to add: Ich is HIGHLY contagious so might as well skip the QT and dose the entire tank because if one fish has the cysts, there is ich swimming all in the water and attaching to substrate/decorations waiting for a fishy friend to swim by and attach to. With raised temperatures and aquarium salt, you shouldn't have to bother with any of those expensive ich meds.

Thank you so much for the response! How many tablespoons of aquarium salt for a 10g tank? And I don't have a heater. How can I make the tank warmer? Should I replace some of the cold water with warm water?

I can't remember off hand, I'm currently out of salt :P. A quick google search will let you know how much though. =)

The only consistant way to raise and maintain an aquarium's temperature is with a heater unfortunately. Any added warm water will eventually cool to the ambient temperature. To speed up the life cycle of ich, we are talking gradual temperature raises to 80F and maintaining that temperature for a week or two of which I'm not entirely sure is safe for goldfish. I'm all very new to this, so I'm coming from a tropical fishkeeper's perspective.

At any rate though, I would begin salting the tank in order to kill whatever is swimming now.

Please wait for more input until you start salting. Salt can be dangerous if you have any ammonia in the water and it needs to be increased slowly.

And please do not add warmer water, increasing temp this way could shock your fish and it will not stay that temp without a heater, resulting in a temp drop eventually.

Edited by tithra

Ya think? Okay I guess I'll wait for more responses. I hope more people respond! I'm very worried about the little guy. And I wouldn't just dump the salt in all at once. I would do it over about 2hrs. Is that good?

By proxy of there being ich present, it's almost assumed that there is going to be ammonia. I would think it goes without saying that one should perform a large 50% water change before adding the salt.

Hang tight, someone will be along soon to provide more detailed direction :) sorry he is sick!

Would you be able to post a pic or bid just to help others confirm that it is ich?

I sure wish I could, but unfortunately I don't have a photobucket account and I'm not allowed to get one! :'(

But I will tell you all the detail I possibly can!

Here goes:

-he only has them on his tail fins

-they are tiny little raised bumps

-he has his dorsal fin down 99.9% of the time

-he is eating normally

-oh no! I jus realize he has clamped fins too!:(

Do you have aquarium salt on hand or any salt without any additives?

Here is a link that talks about salt and what type of salt is safe, take a look and let us know if you have this on hand:

http://www.kokosgold...he-use-of-salt/

Do you have an aquarium heater?

Edited by tithra

sorry, I see now you don't have a heater :)

yes, you can just use the salt. The heater just speeds up the life cycle, which makes treatment time shorter. But you can treat with just salt, it will just be a slightly longer treatment period.

Do you have the correct salt on hand? (check out the link above :) )

Edited by tithra

i mean, i think so...i don't have that "canning and pickling salt", but i bought a carton of aquarium salt at petsmart. it is called "API aquarium salt- for freshwater fish" and it has a picture of a goldfish on the front. petsmart people told me it was the right kind.

Okay, yes, the API aquarium salt works just fine :)

Is there any way that you would (1) be able to get you water parameters from a pet store tomorrow and (2) buy yourself an ammonia drop test kit

Other experienced members feel free to jump in here if you are reading this!

But, I don't want to recommend that you start salting just yet because it is really important for us to know your water parameters and if you are cycled or not. And I am particularly concerned about ammonia being present since you are overstocked at this point (I know you are planning on a 30 gallon :) ).

As I already said, even a small amount of ammonia in the water can be dangerous in conjunction with salt. It would be helpful if you could have your parents take you to the pet store to get your water tested tomorrow (write down the results, don't just let them tell you it's fine... you will want readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, Ph would be great too).

Then if you could also get an API ammonia drop test kit that would be helpful. That way you could know for sure if there is ammonia present in the water and if you need to do a water change or not. The single kit is about 10 dollars.

If your tank is not cycled and there is ammonia you will have to commit to doing large daily water changes and keeping track of the amount of salt that you have added in so that you can add back in the correct amount after a water change. I am not sure how big of a container of aquarium salt you have, but you may also want to pick up more salt if you are able. I would suggest getting a box of the Morton's canning and pickling salt, it is super cheap compared to the API salt and works just as well.

Because it sounds like he is just showing a few spots on his tail, you should be fine waiting until you can get the water parameters read, the fact that he is still interested in food is a good sign :) But if you could get those parameters tomorrow that would be very helpful!

Edited by tithra

Ill Ask my mom to take me tomorrow. In te mean time should i add some ammonia reducer? I'm 99% positive my tank is cycled because every time I get it checked petsmart tells me it's perfect, but they have the strips so idk if they'll b able to tell me the exact readings. Maybe my mom will buy me the drop test kit tomorrow...I'll ask:)

Do far I have saved up a whopping 18% of the money I need for the tank! ;) lol I'm working on it! I'd better hurry up! I want/ need 2 get it b4 February!!! ;) lol just letting u no cuz I remember u were part of that thread.

So far*

So far*

Ps- I am in the process of removing the gravel in my tank (25% each week), so maybe that will help with the water quality and maybe they won't get sick again:)

Okay, it's just better to know the parameters for certain rather than guessing :) You could very well be cycled, but it is also possible that with the two fish in there your cycle isn't able to handle the bioload so you could get ammonia anyway. It's just better to know for sure.

Pet smart will be able to give you exact numbers (the strips give you numbers just like the drops do), just ask them for the numbers and write them down (bring a pen/paper with you with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph written on it). The problem is that their idea of "okay" and what is really okay may be two very different things. You unfortunately cannot trust them to know what they are talking about most of the time.

If your mom will get you the full test kit (about $30) that would be great, but if not, at least the ammonia test kit would be good to have right now. And if you could smile nice and ask for a heater as well :) A heater would really help the treatment process along. You will want one that you can set to 80 degrees (this one would work: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752191&lmdn=Fish the 50 watt is 19.00, which would work for the 10 gallon).

Keep us posted! :)

yes, removing the gravel will help on a number of levels :D I am glad you decided to start doing that.

And I wouldn't beat yourself up about them being sick right now, unfortunately fish often have issues such as flukes and ich when you buy them. This is why we recommend a quarantine period where you treat with prazi pro (for flukes) and salt.

I'm off to bed, I will check back in tomorrow when I get home from work, others may jump in by then :D

Thanks so much for all your help! Sry you're always stuck being the only one taking care of my posts;) I'm pretty high maintenance for one person;);) lol maybe somebody else will join in on this post and help take the load off ya;)

^ no need to apologize at all, I am more than happy to help where I can. You just may sense some hesitation because I typically avoid getting too involved in D&D posts because I am not the most experienced in this area and do not want to give any bad advice! But I trust that other members are reading these posts and will feel free to jump in if I lead you astray in any way! ;)