Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Stocking a 30liter, 8Gal.

I am back for the boyfriend gift!

Okay so we decided on the 30liter BiOrb life! We both like the look of it the best, and he wasn't in love with the frogs. So he is okay not getting them because of the annoying air filter.

So. I need a little help deciding what to put in it. One thing he wants for sure is an apple snail! Then I was possibly thinking a Plakat betta? And then some schooling fish for color?

I would like to have this tank with lots of plants. Will the betta be okay with other fish? I am not familiar with many tropical fish. But I was thinking maybe neons? Or guppies? Any suggestion of colorful fish is welcome!

I suppose he will get attached to the betta, and the snail. And the other fish will be more for decorative purposes?

Also, I will be buying all the fish from the same store, except the betta. Will it be okay to put them directly in the tank? Or should I QT them separately? Add each 'type' alone?

I am totally clueless about tropical fish incase you haven't realized!

With bettas you have not many options for other fish, especially in a small tank like this. The more colorful the other guys, and the more flowy their fins, the more likely they will get harassed and killed. Especially guppys are a big no no.

Even less colorful fish sometimes "get it", depending on the betta's personality. I remember Shell and her horrible experience with her betta tearing up the freaking "plain" hatchet fish. My Petsmart even said to not even put white cloud minnows in there because the betta could see a resemblance with female bettas in them and go after the white clouds.

Then additionally you really don't have much room in an 8g with a betta and an apple snail. For snails you need 2 1/2 gallons each, and for tropicals 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish. That leaves you with 5 1/2 gallons max. The betta will need at least 2 gallons for himself.

3 1/2 gallons left. That is absolutely not enough room for schooling fish, since schooling fish are to be kept in groups of at least 6 fish, or they will get stressed due to the lack of feeling-safe-in-a-group.

If you have lots of plants, I can see having a snail and 6 neons or guppys in there, but without betta.

"Overstocking" in a planted tropical tank is not as much of a big deal as with goldfish, but the smaller the tank, the less forgiving it is. :/

I guess BF hasn't taken enough time to check on the frogs :P My little fat Flopp now starts to climb in my hand when I stick it in the tank, so I can lift her close to the surface and feed her with yummy bloodworms so Donna can't steal them. :D

But the tank is HUGE! Like seriously big lol! We saw a 10liters and it was so sad :( Girl also said that in there we should only put plants. A 30liters is pretty huge.

I will ask BF. I think he prefers a betta and snail then. But i have that in 20liters. The extra 10seem to be a waste then.

Oh and so how can everyone here have bettas in normal planted tropical tanks? Here nobody keeps them alone like we do.

The issue with the frogs is that BF had just seen the lizard thing he was totally excited about. So when we saw the tiny frogs he had the attention span of a 5year old lol! He just wanted to go back and play with the lizard! Plus I don't know how large yours are, but these were about 1cm of body. They were in a large tropical tank and you could barely see them. Plus then the guy told us they need a 50liters at least to swim, so now I feel bad lol.

If you are lucky and you get a betta not intent on killing everything in its path or eating inverts, then you could maybe have a bunch of cherry shrimp in there, they would add colour and interest, but some bettas really like to eat them, so it would be a suck-it-and see experiment, id give it a shot though.

Could also try Corydoras Pygmaeus (prolly not correct spelling there) if you really want a shoaling fish, as they are tiny so you could probably fit 6 in. They are only silver and black in colour but they are really active and charming so add alot of interest. They would be unlikely to fin nip the betta, especially if it is a plakat.

That idea also depends on how much of a killer your betta is though :]

Good luck!

I would go with a snail or a few shrimp with your betta.

Good luck

Thanks guys!

I also thought red little shrimps would be cute. BF thinks they are super boring :help:

I REALLY like those little corydoras! They are super adorable. And those are safe with the betta? Assuming he isn't a killer?

So neons are a big no no? sad...

I did have a horrible time with my hatchets :( not sure if they were just bad batch and put out that beacon to my Betta ...But My Ghost shrimp and 1 cherry(who I hardly ever see;)) Are all doing great as are my kuhli loache's and they do not have that much to the bio load :) So I have to vote shrimp as well :)

Those are Crystal Reds / Black Bee Shrimp I think, and they should be fine (again depends on your bettas prey drive really). They can enjoy the same tank params as a fighter and if you are adding an Apple snail, you will probably already be offering algae wafers/supplimentary food aimed at inverts which would also benefit those shrimp.

CRD/Bee shrimp can be a little less robust than Cherries, so id wait for the tank and live plants to mature a little before adding them - theyre sensitive to nitrites/nitrates.

Id also recommend adding some sort of moss to the tank for them to utilise (marimo moss balls are good and low maintenence, but java moss on rocks/driftwood is good too and just need a trim now and then - neither need high light, ferts or CO2 though).

The pygmaeus cories should be fine with a betta as long as he is not over-aggressive. My roomate kept pygmaeus with her halfmoon fighter very successfully, neither fish bothered each other, but I do think it is down to personality of the betta.

I think the bioload of 6 pygmaeus would be okay if you have good tank routines, but again id emphasis adding new fish slowly over a reasonable period of time to make sure you dont overload the new setup :]

You need a larger tank for neons. They need lots of swimming room and look best in large groups.

Fede, are you sure you looked at the correct frogs? 50 liter per frog is a bit much. o.O

The ADFs I am talking about, I keep reading a minimum setup of 10 liters, which would be fine for 2 frogs. Mine are very visible and active, especially now that they have settled in :)

1cm in body sounds about right, they probably were quite young. They grow to be 2-3 cm long.

These shrimp are very pretty and would look great in the tank with a betta - as long as the betta doesn't snack them up. I'd keep a close eye on this and rescue the shrimp if needed :D

Yup they were the right ones! The thing is that Switzerland has harsh laws on animal rights. They frown when I tell them I keep my Bettas in 20liters as they are usually kept in large community tanks here. The only thing they sell for 20 liters or less are shrimps and small snails.

Remember that when I went to buy my first fish the guy wanted to sell me a 500liter tank! It's good tho. Better this extreme than the other :)

Okay so 1 Betta, 1 snail and how many shrimp? The Betta will probably be the last added because they only resume shipping in spring. So incase it doesn't work I'll keep the Betta for myself!

Bf and coworker are parading around office saying they are getting "crabs"!!!!!! Dear oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk