Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Do they really like being "pet"?

When I was younger, I would hear my dad and even other family members talking about my dad's oranda. He was kept in a 30 gal tal(what my dad says) with 3 other goldies. He was the size of a coffee mug according to older family members.

This oranda had an strange habit. During feeding, my dad would pour the flakes into the tank. The other two fish(they were commons, also known as those plain goldfish to my family) would start eating immediately. However, the oranda wouldn't. Instead, the oranda would stay at the surface and wait til my dad would sorta scratch the oranda's wen for a bit then the oranda would eat. He would have to pour in a bit more food, since the commons had ate all of the food.

Can anyone explain this behavior? I have always been curious and forgot to ask until my great aunt just came over and asked dad about the oranda.

What made it even weirder, the oranda didn't do this with anyone else.

So what could have made the oranda do this?

This is the video that made me want orandas:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vcWvCrPru18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am certainly not a proponent of touching your goldfish for fun because it can have negative consequences. But your story reminded me of this video, and I have to say that the fish in this video doesn't look like it dislikes being touched. I think (depending on personality) goldies can be very inquisitive and some seem to enjoy human interaction more than others. My fish Puff loves to be hand fed now (he's not very good at getting his share otherwise), but Edie is much more standoffish and still doesn't like my hand in the tank much :)

Edited by tithra

I want one just watching that video! Too cute!

None of my commons aren't as touchy lol. They do come up to the tank when its feeding time and they know when I am about to feed.

I do have an angelfish with will let me touch its head during feeding, but of course, its not like goldies. I think goldies have bigger personalities :)

I used to have 2 little ryukins named Otto and Mallie. Whenever I did water changes, they would suck on my hands and arm, and would rub up against me. They also loved to be hand fed. My current goldies, Bert and Ernie, won't eat from my hand, swim away if I try to touch them, and won't go near my arm during water changes. It's a bummer. I'm working on it. But they follow me when I walk around the tank which is super cute. My whole family loves them!;)

Guest Wrog

my fish have been with me for over eight years, if i clean inside the glass they all brush my hand until i tickle their tummies, if I don't they will bottom sit until they get a tickle! whoever goes near the tank is expected to tickle, they approach anyone who goes near the tank, they even try and befriend my friends Alsation dog!

This is the main reason I have not put them in a pond, they are far too tame and trusting, they do not act like prey and I think they would be inside a cat they tried to befriend within hours.

They all have different personalities and are more clevor than I ever imagined a fish could be!

Oh dear gawd this video is so cute I can't stand it D:

Haha great video. Would touching them affect their slime coat? I was reading the pinned article on how to transfer fish when you get them in the mail and it was recomended that you use some of that stress zyme stuff to coat your hands when you pick the fish up to transfer them to the tank. Just curious. My new little lion head is super adventurouse and nibbles when i stick my hand in the tank too. :)

this is an interesting story :]

and Tithra, that video is amazing :]

Haha great video. Would touching them affect their slime coat? I was reading the pinned article on how to transfer fish when you get them in the mail and it was recomended that you use some of that stress zyme stuff to coat your hands when you pick the fish up to transfer them to the tank. Just curious. My new little lion head is super adventurouse and nibbles when i stick my hand in the tank too.

Yes, touching your fish will mess with the slime coat which can leave them more susceptible to potential infection etc, so it's not a great idea to just do for fun. I would imagine though that the damage to the slime coat would be less when touching them under water than out since your hands are well lubricated :)

There are some goldfish that like being touched by people, but this is much more common in koi. I've seen a wonderful video of children in the pond with koi, playing with the fish. You wouldn't think a koi would like being picked up, but the kids try to pick one up, it slides from their arms and then comes right back for more.

That video has killed me with the cute. OH MY GAWD! :lol Adorable.

But it also makes me cringe a little.

hehe... I never get sick of watching that video. So gosh darn cute.

Too cute! But I will have to say I wouldn't do it everyday just to make sure I wasn't hurting them from anything on my skin. On a side note. I have stopped using a net and using my bear hands to catch my fish when needed. Oddly enough after I started doing it my calico ryukin liked the special treatment I guess and started to jump in my hands whenever I'm doing tank maintenance. If it weren't so cute I would probably get aggravated that he is ALWAYS in the way when cleaning lol.

seriously that video :wub:

What a cute video! I don't have any goldfish who like to be pet, but my roommate has a balloon molly who enjoys being handled. She will swim into his hand when he introduces it into the tank.

When I have transferred my goldfish, I have always used my hand. It seems less harmful than using a net, although I'm sure it's not ideal to handle them every day. Like some of you, I have also heard it can affect their slime coats.

This is my favorite video :P

I love these videos. I wish my fish were friendlier.

I know of several fish that like it as well. Mostly NW cichlids. Flowerhorns especially like to have their fat heads scratched.