New Tank, New Filters, Old Media, No Cycle?

ypdmd

I got my 110 set up last week. It was going where my 35 was, so keeping both tanks running wasn't an option. I had my 2 fish in a bin for a couple of days, then moved them into the 110.

I moved the AC70 on my 35 over to the 110. Not nearly enough filtration, but my numbers looked ok, and the AC110s I ordered came a few days later. Took the media, including biorings from the AC70 and put it in a 110. I also took the media from an AC50 I had running as a second filter in another tank and added that to one of the 110s.

Ammonia has been around .25, since friday. It doesn't really change, even after water changes. No nitrites, and no nitrates.

I had the temp up to 80 for a couple of days, now at 74.

Other than adding more cycle bugs, anything I can do?

I'm assuming the AC70 was running on the bin that the fish were in while you were setting up the 110? (so it was getting 'fed' ammonia during the switchover)

You are probably just having a bit of a cycle bump. How much water are you changing when you say you don't see a difference in ammonia after the water change? How often are you doing changes? Have you checked your tap for ammonia?

I am not surprised that you don't have nitrates given that you only have 2 fish in a 110 :) (lucky fish!)

No, I ran the 70 on the new tank for 2 days while they were in the bin. I had the 50 on the storage bin. Then I put them in the 110. I now have more fish in there, though. I added 3 1 inch fish Saturday night, a calico fantail, an orange and white telescope, and an orange pearlscale..

I was doing 25% water changes. Checked the levels again last night, seemed to be improving. Maybe just a shade of ammonia, so it seems lower than it was, and maybe I got a little nitrite bump, but it was still definately blue. (API)

And no ammonia in the tap.

When I first noticed the ammonia bump (maybe last Thursday?) i did a 10 percent change. Then I did a 25% on Saturday night, before I added the new fish. I added the API cycle solution last night (I forgot the name) I will check the levels again and see how they are.

• Admin

If I may Suggest.

At this point I would see if you can get Nitrafin's "cycle". Basically BB's in a bottle, I think you are stalled, this may work, or not but it wont hurt. :thumb: It has worked for me in the past when I got a hick up in the cycle :)