Bonding.

I find that whenever I do tropical tanks I can never bond with the fish within in the same way I do with goldfish. Deep in thought yesterday, I decided that if someone were to say I loved my goldfish, I wouldn't argue with them. But my tropical fish? They're less than pets to me. This sounds harsh I know, but it's just the way I feel. I've tried getting over this, but for some reason I just can't bond with tropical fish. I can't figure out why. Does anyone else have this problem? Or one similar? Maybe somone could help shed some light onto my predicament.

I halfway understand how you feel. I love my tropicals, but most of them not as much as the goldfish (sorry guys and gals!).

I think the reason for this is that especially small fish seem to have less personality, and seem more anonymous than our goldfish. Like, my school of a dozen black neon tetras, they are gorgeous fish and I'd be sad over their loss, but as said - they are much more anonymous than the goldfish.

This is not all the fish's fault. It's much my fault for paying more attention to larger fish than smaller fish. For example my angelfish, I do pay a lot of attention to them and see the different personalities in them. I adore my common pleco for being the mellow fellow he is. I see different personality traits in my platys as well.

And sometimes when I watch the neons and corys closely, I can even make out different personalities among them, but it's difficult to tell here who is who. I can only tell a few fish from the rest, like the two largest females or the little guy with a tear in his tail, or with the corys, I can only make out the larger female for sure. The three boys look pretty much all the same to me.

But here again, except for the angelfish, none of these fish will pay attention to ME the way the goldfish do. The goldfish seem to get excited when they see me (most likely because they know seeing me is a good chance for food) and dance around. Angelfish do a similar thing. I think even the smaller tropicals have realized I am feeding them and they are full of anticipation, but they "feel" less for me than the goldfish or angelfish do.

Oh yeah, the only other exception again are the betta and the frogs. They go crazy just like the goldfish, and I love them just about as much :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I love my goldfish but I love my tropical tank. Does that clear it up some? lol I do get attached more to the goldfish but I am attached to the entire tropical tank. The fish may change the plants may change but I love that set up. Make since at all?

I think I see what your saying,i have had many a tropical tank and many different types of tropical fish but i don't think i ever shed a tear on any of them for passing...it was like I lost another molly and i'll replace it next time I'm at the pet shop...So not the same with my goldfish,I have shed many a tear at the loss of them :( they are like puppies with fins a real pet,they have such personality :)

BUT i do have to say with my new trop tank with the Betta,Frogs and shrimp & Kuhli loaches,I find I am getting pretty familiar with the shrimp,and the frogs def have personality as does my Betta Boy :)

I love my gold barbs because they act exactly like goldfish (if a bit more ADD than a goldfish) They beg, do wiggle dances, and come up to the front whenever they see me and act happy to see me, like puppies.

The other fish...pfft, they could care less. The only other one that acts like he loves me is the betta and he's off by himself in his Chi in the kitchen.

We were talking about moving in a couple of years, and I was contemplating my fish. The goldfish and betta would come with us. Just like the dogs and cats. I would probably try to take my angelfish too. They amuse me to no end, and I like the little dudes. The rest? Meh. Off to the fish store without a second thought. I mean, I like them, but I don't like like them, you know? I care about their wellbeing, but I'm not attached. When I had a goldfish die I cried and cried. When a platy died it was aw crap, I gotta scoop it out now yuck. If I notice a goldfish acting strangely I panic and run here. :rofl If a tetra is off, I hope it gets better or wait for it to die.

I feel like Hidr does. I love the tank and watching them, but I don't really have feelings for the individual fish.

Well, it's not that I don't care if they die. After all they are living beings and deserve to live and be happy. Just because I can not get as attached to them as to my goldfish doesn't mean I value them any less. My tropicals get the same care my goldfish do. They get treated when sick, with the same effort as the goldies. I count my neons almost daily, to make sure none of the larger fish has decided to make snacks of them. If that was to happen, I would somehow separate them. :)

I think the problem lies with schooling fish. Scientifically, schooling/shoaling fish are an evolution to simply stay together because no predator can pick them ALL off. Bettas, frogs, and pretty much non schooling/shoaling fish each developed a brain to think and take action against threat, and thus also developed a more complicated personality which isn't needed or high regarded mating wise in schooling fish. :x Or to put it simply: Non-schooling fish are closer to our intelligence and thus trigger a response in our brain (like the one that says not to eat our babies) to regard with more sympathy and care. (like the difference you may feel for cutting down a plant and cutting up a living fish)