Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Water changes - am I doing this right?

In an effrot to have a healthier tank, and thus a healthier goldfish, I am trying to take the advice of so mnay here about keeping my tank clean. In the past, I was doing water cvhanges about once a month or so. Now, I am doing about a 30% water change every week (on Monday), except the first week of the month when I do a 60-70% water change and give the tank a more thorough scrubbing (I have a lot of algae!).

So far here is what I have noticed:

Fatty, my red-capped oranda, seems much more perky. She always had a healthy appetite (hence the name!), but I think it is even more so now. Also, she had a bad case of bacterial fin rot a few months ago, and I am definitely seeing more rapid signs of improvement. In fact, she completely lost two of her fins on her belly (not sure what you call them), and I am starting to see some regrowth from one of them, which I was not sure was at all possible.

The tank is looking much nicer, but I still have algae problems. It seems no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get the nitrates below 20%. I know that is not very high, but I would still like to see them lower if possible.

Am I doing enough water changes? Or when I do the one, should I change out more, or is that a good amount?

Have you checked your tap for nitrates? Some people have some nitrate already in their tap water, which can make it hard to keep them down. If not then more water changes will definitely help to reduce them. Or have some live plants which will help consume them :)

What are your nitrates before the water change? It might be something as simple as not changing enough water.

I would test the tap water's nitrate and see if this is the source. If the tap is lower than 20, you might want to do two back to back 80% water changes to get the tank nitrate as low as the tap nitrate is.

What was the tank size and how many fish? I would recommend at least 50% water change weekly. There is normally no such thing as too many water changes. I personally change 80% twice weekly in most of my tanks :)