Bruce is dying :( ......video

Ok so I know I posted a while ago about bruce's eating and top sitting now it seems he is dying...

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level – 20ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 ph level, chlorine 0, hardness 150, alkalinity 180
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Easy Strips, tetra
  • * Water temperature? 76
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallons since 7 wks ago
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra quiet filter for 35 to 40 galoon
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Usually 50 every week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Saturday 40%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, huge
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqueon water cond, easy balance plus
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra sinking(every other day),, peas (1 or 2 time a week)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes he had red on his fin but we had just done a water change so we were going to wait to see, then we saw him floating today... Now he has red in more spots on his fins.

His diet lately has been peas, and sinking food, I tried feeding him a banana and he won't have anything to do with it

http://s948.photobuc...nt=IMG_0710.mp4

I would think it a good idea to get MetroMeds in him ASAP. If that not possible soak some fish food in Metro liquid or powder.

Is he willing to eat?

For sure reduce the filter flow - lower the water level and raise the temperature slowly to 28C

I'm so mad at my husband I told him that it looked like his scales were pine coned and he told me that it worry too much! Anyway sorry for the vent, pine coned it has been a week at least, I knew I noticed something different when we got back something wasn't right.

I haven't tried to feed him just yet because I wanted to see what you guys thought first!

We turned the filter off for now because he was well not being able to handle everything.

I will see if I can get MetroMeds somewhere, if not epsom salt for now I guess.

so metromeds is just like food right? I mean I read that its krill food with medicine in it. How much should I feed him, and if I can't get that I know I need to put epsom salt in a pea but how much salt?

I'm very new to this so I pretty much need a walkthrough

Edited by whynot

Put the epson in the water 1/4teaspoon for 10gals. don't feed it in a pea it can lead to internal bleeding.

important is also to slowly turn the water temp up.

MetroMeds are food yes. You can only get them at goldfish connection. if you don't have them already that will take too long. Is there any way you can pick up pure metronidazole at the petstore? It comes in a powder usually.

Oh I don't have metromeds than. I'll see if I can find metronidazole.

question does maracyn 2 work just as good, or is that really for if you catch it early?

Edited by whynot

• Supporter

i am not sure about the maracyn for pineconing.. but please do not turn the filter off, you will kill all the good bacteria and lose the cycle.. this will be very bad for your fish. see for the Metronidazole locally.

Have you only had this fish 7 weeks or is that just how long the tank has been running? And I see from previous topics that he's had other issues as well with his wen and floating. Any other details you could give us about Bruce would really help.

OK so what happened was we weren't doing a big enough water change (only 25%), so me not knowing did 100% water change which I found out wasn't right because you need to build up good bacteria in your filter. Then we recently got a bigger filter and I did 100% water change again, which I'm not sure if it was necessary or not.

Anyway we were feeding him less because he was top floating, so I tried a banana on a clip (didn't work), and I actually tried lettuce blanched (didn't work) so we were feeding him a pea every other day, and a pinch of sinking fish food every other day. Because of the top floating. He seemed fine and was going to the bottom more after this, and not sitting at the top.

Then we left for two days (which he didn't get fed, because I didn't want to use a feeder and have him sitting at the top again)

So with that we got back and I noticed he was pine coning, I told my husband that something was wrong with his scales, and then the next day he had red on his fin.

He was due for a water change so we changed it 50%, and thought we'd keep an eye on his fin. I should say that this maybe was 3 or 4 days.

Then we woke up and he was swimming like the link.

I have no idea how long we've had him (I'm not good with dates maybe a year)

I'm wondering now did he get dropsy for not enough food?

Edited by whynot

No this definitely has nothing to do with the food, you did nothing wrong there :)

Fish get dropsy because they can't regulate their internal fluid balance. The fact that he was floaty before makes me think that maybe he had an internal infection or something else going on that was putting pressure on his swim bladder.

When you say he had red on his fin, do you mean it looked like you could see his veins, or it was a sore spot?

For now you've been given good advice. Salt the tank, get the temperature up gradually and see if you can find meds. If you can't get anything else, maracyn 2 is worth trying. It's much better if you can get him a medicated food since he is still eating and it's an internal issue he has going on. I'm not a big fan of feeding epsome either, not unless the dropsy is severe (which Bruce's is not right now) as it comes with its own issues.

Also I notice from the video that you have gravel and a hollow ornament. I'd remove the ornament, sometimes they provide space for bad bacteria to grow. Also, give the gravel a really, really good cleaning. Have you been using a gravel vacuum to clean it?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Actually now that I think about it, it really may have been early early signs of dropsy. I don't know. ADDED See thats what I thought Chrissy (before I read your new post)

Oh yes we vacuum the gravel every time really good. We got him a hospital tank so hoping he gets better.

Edit About the fin's being red on sore spot, or veins I don't know, I didn't really really look at them so I'll check them at lunch.

Edited by whynot

Question lowering the water level and raise the temperature slowly to 28C. What does this do, is it really necessary?

EDITED: Well I just thought if it was something in the tank that way it wouldn't do more harm, but I guess my thinking was wrong?!?

Edited by whynot

Lowering the water level can help reduce the water pressure for a fish struggling with buoyancy issues so he may not float as much. However, since Bruce is so large and in a 30 gallon, I don't know if it would be worth sacrificing the water volume...especially since the tank is newly cycled.

Well you could move him to a bare bottom tank which would eliminate the possibility of bacteria in the gravel, but if the tank wasn't cycled then the chances of poor water quality making him worse are high. You could move him and move the filter as well, but it would be a risk.

I think it will be fine if you do frequent water changes. I usually have my fish in hospital tanks with no filters, just an airstone and a heater. It does help incase something in the tank is triggering it. But then I do daily large water changes :)

Yes the large water changes are key. I've seen too many people over the years be advised to set up QT tanks only to put their fish in small, uncycled tanks and have them suffer more than they were in the main tank from ammonia spikes, etc. :(

I just wanted to let you know that Bruce died.... It was sad to see him go but we know things now that we didn't really know when we got him so if we do decide to get another orando we know more.

Thanks everyone for your help