I got my Snails :)

I was looking for baby apple snails and had a chance to go to a different chain store not near to me...But they had mystery snails (look like the same to me?) can anyone tell me what the difference is??? I got one in each color for each of my tanks they are currently in a bowl on my kitchen table for qt ;) lol with daily maybe 2x if needed w/c's :)

here's a quick vid ;)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/shellbell4ever/Tropical/?action=view&current=001-2.mp4

mystery and apple snails are exactly the same type of snail :)

I love their little setup!! very cute :)

I think so too, but what makes me wonder is that according to this big LFS I go to in North Carolina, apple snails are illegal in N.C., mystery snails aren't. oO

If it's just a size difference, then ok... still makes me wonder why one is illegal and the other not :rofl

Anyway, awesome and cute snails! I love how you got one of each color :)

there are many different species of apple snails, the large kind (I think it's the pomecea maculata) is illegal in the US I believe and generally difficult to get. The most commonly sold species in the aquarium trade are the pomecea diffusa, insularum, or canaliculata varieties (if you look at applesnail.net under 'species' there is a great visual that can help you tell these apart by looking at the shell... mine are diffusas)

Here is a quote from the applesnail.net FAQ page:

Are mystery snails also apple snails? Or are they different types of snails?

A: In some sources the name apple snail and mystery snail are considered to be synonyms for the snails of the family Ampullariidae. The name apple snail refers to there size, colour and form, while the name mystery snail comes from the fact that the aquarium market didn't know what kind of snail it was or where it came from, so it was a mystery (snail) for them.

In other sources, the mystery snails are described as snails from the family Viviparidae. The snails from this family look very similar to the snails from the family Ampullariidae, but they do lack a lung and labial tentacles and are livebearing snails (hence the name Viviparidae).

Most snails sold as 'mystery snails' in the shops are Pomacea diffusa snails.

Thanks for that info Tithra :) I will def bookmark that site :) and I am so excited about my snails :) I already keep separate tubs for each tank, i will use them for overnight feedings for my new babies when they move to their individual tanks :)

I am really loving my snails :) I found changing the water daily is great they are stinky little critters ;) I'm hoping to move them to their new tanks this weekend as i am having a party on Sunday and not sure all my guests will appreciate snails on the kitchen table ;) lol Do you think that's enough qt for them??

New Pic's

001-3.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

I love my Ferg so much also! I never expected him to be so fun to watch! I moved him into the Betta tank today and he loves it. I did 5 days of QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Ferg so much also! I never expected him to be so fun to watch! I moved him into the Betta tank today and he loves it. I did 5 days of QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool then this weekend with reg w/c's they will move to their new abodes :)

I always wondered what the heck they were too, I see them every day (i work at psmart)

I've been dying to get a few for my tanks (horrible algae) but I'm always nervous with snails reproducing so fast :/ I had one of those malaysian trumpet snails in with some plants I bought and I ditched that thing as quick as I could, lol.