X-ray

molbert73

For those of you that were curious about Tater Tot's x-ray back when I posted about having to euthanize her I finally got ahold of it :)

We thought that she might have had a faulty swim bladder so we took an x-ray of her. Swimbladder was fine.

Tatertotx-ray.jpg

She wasn't that lumpy in person :)

I work at a very large animal hospital and we happen to have a fish vet on staff. She was basicly stuck on the bottom of the tank on her back :( We put her in a plastic bag and quick took the x-ray and put her right back in her tub. She was such a mellow fish that she didn't seem to mind.

We could have done more diagnostics but Dr. Ritzman didn't think that there was much that could be done for her and I didn't want her to suffer. I had visions of coming home from work to find her stuck to the filter having been tortured to death :( So I opted to euthanize. We did it with the same solution that you use on cats and dogs. She went very peacefully.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was stunning from what I can see. Props to you for going that far to save your fish. We don't have a fish vet in my area, so its certain doom if anything major happens to them. Such a cool pic. Thanx for sharing.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was stunning from what I can see. Props to you for going that far to save your fish. We don't have a fish vet in my area, so its certain doom if anything major happens to them. Such a cool pic. Thanx for sharing.

Thanks, she was a super cute fish with a TON of personality. It was my first loss that I was truly sad over.

I have to admit that if I didn't work there I wouldn't have gone that far with her. But since she did it all at no cost to me to educate staff I went ahead with it.

That said, I would never make a fish suffer though to save a buck :)

so sorry you had to euthanize her Molly, but thank you for posting this pic. It would be really cool if someone could diagram this picture (label what everything is). I am assuming the big round black space is the swim bladder? I am curious where the pharyngeal teeth would be in this pic.

Thanks so much for sharing, it's very interesting!

Edit: what would the swim bladder have looked like if something were wrong?

Edited by tithra

Most likely it would have been misshapen. Goldfish actually have two lobes to their swim bladders, but I'm guessing with the angle of the x-ray only one was visible.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Most likely it would have been misshapen. Goldfish actually have two lobes to their swim bladders, but I'm guessing with the angle of the x-ray only one was visible.

Yes and Yes :) from what I can remember.

http://www.biolreprod.org/content/72/3/510/F3.large.jpg

You fish lost its second bladder most likely due to a bacterial infection. One large badder is a problem. If the anterior badder atrophied the duct allowing excess gas to exit into the esophagus was likely lost also. Without this duct the fish can not regulate its buoyancy.?They can also fill completely with fluid in this condition.

Edited by Ichthius

http://www.biolreprod.org/content/72/3/510/F3.large.jpg

You fish lost its second bladder most likely due to a bacterial infection. One large badder is a problem. If the anterior badder atrophied the duct allowing excess gas to exit into the esophagus was likely lost also. Without this duct the fish can not regulate its buoyancy. They can also fill completely with fluid in this condition.

Aha! She was one of those fish that was just never right. Kind of a headstander right from the start. I got her in the early days and have since learned a lot about picking fish out when buying. I will stand and watch for a very long time now. Peruse the store and go back and look again before I will purchase anything. I don't care if the employees think I'm nuts :D

Edited by molbert73

How cool that you had the opportunity to have the xray taken. Ichthius, that is very interesting. Thanks so much for sharing.

I just got a new book, and it mentions that swim bladder problems can develop from exposure to cold. Is that true?

I just got a new book, and it mentions that swim bladder problems can develop from exposure to cold. Is that true?

That's the first of heard of that, what book?

I'm really interested in swim bladder issues since I had so many fish in the past develop them. One big thing I learned is that swim bladder issues can often be seconday symptoms of other things, very often kidney damage (like polycystic kidney disease). That's why you'll see a fish sink or float and quickly dropsy in many cases - the kidneys have become so damaged that they cause the bladder to take on an unnatural shape, and then they fail, which leads to dropsy.

The other thing to keep in mind that when the fish is a sinker, it is invariably SB issues. When a fish is a floater, things are much more complex, as it could be SB, something else, or SB + something else.

The other thing to keep in mind that when the fish is a sinker, it is invariably SB issues. When a fish is a floater, things are much more complex, as it could be SB, something else, or SB + something else.

Floaters can be as simple as an over fed fish having expanded food back up in the pneumatic duct causing a bacterial infection that clogs or damages the duct. If this duct is not in good shape the gases produce by the swim bladder can not be expelled into the esophagus and burped to maintain neutral buoyancy.

I am very sorry for your loss, but want to say I really appreciate you posting the x ray. This is really very interesting!

Thanks Fang :) It's been a while now so I'm good :)

Not necessarily. Sinking can also come from something internal putting pressure on the swim bladder and either compressing or displacing it, or it could be filled with fluid from a bacterial infection or something associated with kidney malfunction.

It's defiantly not a simple issue in many cases :(

• Supporter

molly, sorry you couldn't find a solution and had to euth, but i agree, awsome that you have these services available at your disposal. the x-ray pic is great to keep for future educational purposes.. i have saved it :)

Ichthius, the link pic you posted is very interesting also.. i'ma look back in to 2 post-mortem photoshoots to see if i missed anything. it's great to know about the two swim bladders. i believe in the first post-mortem i did, a (not sure which one) swim bladder was missing.

thanks for sharing the pics guys.. having information like this to refer back to can be very reassuring.

The two bladders was something I only found out about last year, but it explains a lot. When the caudal (back one) over inflates, that's when you see that "bum up" floating. And having two, connected by a ducts, also makes it SO much more likely that there will be complications with them :(