floating filter media basket in AC 110

I know I saw a thread about this - I'm having this problem, what is the best way to fix it? The media basket floats up and pushed the lid off the filter. The ceramic media is not much in the water at the moment. Thanks!

When this happens to me, I take the sponge out and rinse it in tank water. It's usually indicative that you have gunk trapped in the foam now.

You could also add more bio-balls to your basket to weigh it down more :)

Thanks I looked and indeed there is gunk (is that the technical term?) So can you use gunk to seed other filters or is it just waste that needs to be thrown out with the water change? I have two more AC 110s that aren't cycled yet, and if I can use gunk to jump start them that would be great.

Edited by CindyGen

AC filters need a lot more maintinence than other filters (in my opinion). If the sponge has too much gunk, water does not flow through the sponge but pushes the sponge and basket up. There is a danger of water flowing out the back of the filter and onto the floor. So one should really religiously rinse the filter media as recommended in the instruction.

AC filters need a lot more maintinence than other filters (in my opinion). If the sponge has too much gunk, water does not flow through the sponge but pushes the sponge and basket up. There is a danger of water flowing out the back of the filter and onto the floor. So one should really religiously rinse the filter media as recommended in the instruction.

Actually, if you use all three media, OR add extra bio-media, this should not happen at all.

Also, I try to look at it this way: it's a convenient timer to let you know when you should rinse :)

I'm using all three that came with the filter, its been running about two months and I have not rinsed it yet, was trying to let my cycle get a good foothold first, so I guess it's time.

Don't forget that after about 6 weeks your carbon is not longer active and needs to either be changed or tossed. If it were my tank, instead of buying a new bag of carbon (which you'll just have to replace in a month or so...) I would buy another bag of biomax and use that INSTEAD of the carbon. Carbon doesn't really do anything except take out medications and odors anyways... :twocents

The design=>water flowing from bottom to top (as opposed to say whispers ex where water flows from back to front), causes the rising of thse basket. The other thing i dont like is the very little space between the top of the media and the top of the filter, which leaves very little room for error. If the had more space then water would not overflow from the back.

Having said that i can see why ACs are popular , with the variety in choice of filter media and using sponges for biological filteration (in addition to the ceramic rings).

• 3 weeks later...

Cindy,

You really have to clean your filter sponges very well by squeezing them in buckets of tank water. Continue to do this until your water is completely clear. You may need to also rinse your other media better as well in tank water. Don't worry about killing your BB by rinsing in tank water. A highly clogged sponge will build pressure which is causing your media basket to raise. When I first got my AC 70's they did the same thing. Only after repeated cleanings of the sponges did they finally come back to where they should have been which meant my media hasn't ever been pushed up since. I clean each AC once a month by the method above and I haven't had this pressure buildup in two years. Here's an excerpt from the AquaClear manual below:

Q. What happens if I forget to clean my filter inserts?

A. If the Power Filter is left unattended for too long, the filter inserts

become clogged with debris. In extreme cases, the filter basket may

be forced up from the filter case due to the pump pressure. This is

an indication that the efficiency of the filtration is very low and

that the filter inserts require immediate rinsing or replacement.

Edited by blackteles

• Admin

Ok I just had a KG thought! :teehee

Im going to take that BIG HUGE sponge and cut it length wise in 1/3rds. Then I can take a piece of sponge then filter floss, then repeat to the top. :thumb::slicedbread

Koko - how often do you need to replace filter floss...or is it just rinsed monthly like the sponge? I removed my carbon from my ac110's and am wondering if I should add more ceramic balls, more sponge, or if filter floss would be better? Are there different types of filter floss (finer holes?) that work better than others?

Thanks,

Kayla

• Admin

I use this stuff with the Blue stuff you can get from Petsmart

http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=20&catId=1

I found in the 110 you need those balls at the top to hold down the filter floss. So In my filter now is the sponge, blue, white, blue, white then the balls.

I have to every week take out half of my white floss and put new ones in, or it will over flow. But that cause the White floss is thicker than the normal stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used the blue padded stuff before but since reading that it helps really "polish" the water (& I have noticed ALOT of floating particles in the water) so I got some in my Pet Mountain order. (I got my box today & was like a kid on Christmas morning going thru my box of goodies!!) Anyway, I cleaned my tanks & then placed the Blue padding in the 2 AQ110s on the big tank. I want to see if this helps keep the water sparkling clean!!

Jeana, let us know about the outcome! I keep having little particles from the plants float in my tank too. Not too bad really, just a bit, but I wonder how well it would work with this floss.

I also read how people somehow attach this floss to a power head, and this keeps the water ultra clean. :)

Ok I just had a KG thought! :teehee

Im going to take that BIG HUGE sponge and cut it length wise in 1/3rds. Then I can take a piece of sponge then filter floss, then repeat to the top. :thumb::slicedbread

Back when I used the Aquaclear filters, this is what I always did too Koko! Except I just cut them in half lengthwise, not thirds. It's a really smart idea, because you save money on sponges, have more space for extra biological media, and plus you get some leftover sponge that you can cut up and use in smaller filters if you need to!

As I looked at the tank last night Iit seemed to NOT have hardly any particles floating about. Then I just got up & feed them some Mazuri gel food & some boiled spinach...NOW there IS particles EVERYWHERE. I will watch to see if it is filtered out! (Hoping so!)

OKAY!! It's been a few hours (testing the blue filter pads I added) & I see VERY clear water MUCH less particles floating around. Even my hubby mentioned it looks clearer!! Woohoo!! There is SOME particles but that is to be expected as there always seems to be AT LEAST one goldie head down poking around stirring up stuff!!

I like the idea of cutting the sponges in half!! I could add MORE ceramic thingees!!!!!!!

I find that REALLY makes my basket "float up" on my 110s is literallt THE BASKET itself get coated with gunk under all the stuff! I put the stuff in a bucket of tank water & gave the basket a good rinsing! I was amazed at how much gunk was there!!