Sign in to follow this  
Silverxphoenix

Two bullies and wimp

Today, being that my fiance is sick, I was feeding my fiances molly tank. I noticed that one of the mollies died from what it appears as starvation and another is VERY skinny. The female dalmation and the male silver lyretail are VERY aggro mollies. I was going to move the black male with my temp Creamsicle (she's supposed to be in my fiance's tank) and the three male guppies, but i wanted to know if there are any dieseases that could be the reason for his mal-nutrition.

Oh and the Creamsicle is such a sweetie i'm probably not going to give her up :P

Well I decided to go ahead and transfer him. He was shy around the creamcicle at first but when he realized she wasn't a beater he swims like he's boss now.

440aa887-3464-b8f1.jpg

Could you tell us more about the tank? Often a very skinny fish means it is diseased and has been wasting due to some issue, not necessarily starvation.

Try to answer as many of the following questions as possible, that will be a big help :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I'll post up what he was in to what he moved too

[

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 5ppm to 5ppm

[*]Nitrite Level?10ppm to 5ppm

[*]Nitrate level?5ppm to 5ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.4 to 7.4 (introduced with slow increase)

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api

[*]Water temperature?74 to 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? both 2 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Wisper 10 to top fin 10

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every month 25%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 tank mates 10gallon to 6 tank mates 10 gallon

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? water clearer

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? flakes twice

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? the new tank has melefix

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? shuns food and hides often

Where to start...

First off, it appears your tank isn't cycled. A properly cycled tank will read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIties, 0-20 nitrAtes. A fish suffering from ammonia and/or nitrite poisioning won't eat because they're basically stewing in their own wastes.

Secondly, 25% water changes a month is far too few. You need to be doing more like 25% water changes a week for a tropical aquarium ONCE it's cycled.

For now, you should do daily water changes and treat your tank with Seachem Prime in order to get it cycled, because the very high ammonia readings is the likely cause for your fish's behavior.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Yes, the tank is definitively not cycled. Are you able to provide the same info for the other tank? If it is similar, then the fish likely died from water quality issues.

In the meantime, you need to do a very large water change in that tank to get the ammonia and nitrite down to zero.

It is cycled, : x both tanks got new fish (and a baby load) after the cycle and right now they are having a spike because the babies were more than intended new added fish. I only do extra water changes when i get spikes. It was staying 0 0 0 for like 2 weeks. Oh and he is eating now, like a pig. I think it was purely bullying from the previous tank. (He no longer hides or has to fight for food)

You really should do more water changes, despite the perams. There are a lot of other things that accumulate in there aside from ammonia and nitrites (like bacteria).