Must euthanize asap, clove oil substitute?

DesigNerd

One of my swordtails is dying is pain. Radically happened overnight. She's lost her swimbladder and is freaking out when she's not drifting aloof.

No clove oil on hand. Can I use loads of clove powder?

My only option I see is suffer or ice, which I don't want.

Nevermind. She died. In the future though, would it be okay in a pinch?

Ice kills slowly. The only other fast way I know of is quickly chopping its head off, or roll the fish quickly into a papertowel and hit it HARD with a flat skillet or similar.

I find both of these ways quite terrible and disturbing though, so for the future you might want to consider having clove oil at hand. It doesn't cost much (I got mine at my local GNC) and it will stay "good" for quite a while.

Thanks for the responses. I'll get some just to have on hand. I hear it's also good for a toothache.

Thanks for the responses. I'll get some just to have on hand. I hear it's also good for a toothache.

It is excellent for tooth aches! Completely numbs out the part of your gums that it touches. Definitely something to have at home, and hoping that you won't need it for anything else but toothaches :)

My work uses baking soda. They put the fish in about 3 cups of water and add about a cup of baking soda. I don't know how it works exactly, but the fish usually dies within a half hour.

I didn't know about the vodka+clove oil. That's good to know before the next time I head out shopping. Thanks for linking that page here.

My little kiddos aren't so little so when it comes time to their ends, well, I'm not I'll be the one doing it. I'll make my bf man up and take care of it.