Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

Ok. In the process of the second 90% water change. Hoping the cycle kicks in again soon too! I don't have it yet, but when we get the Prazi, will it mess up the cycle?

Also, are there any other ways to get food in her? Does liquid food exist that we can put in the water so she could get some nutrients? We can keep trying to hand feed but she is having such a hard time opening her mouth. :(

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sell liquid food for fry at the LFS, but you would still have to dribble it in to the mouth of the fish. It's worth a try.

Prazi will not interfere with the tank's biological filter in any way.

Tank parameters before we did back-to-back 90% water changes:

Temp: 79F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 2.0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Figured we need to do two since the nitrites were so high. :( Hope they stop doing that soon. Added double prime, cycle and salt too. We may have found some poop during the water change! It was kinda orange and it was stuck to the side of the tank, so we're not sure, but I guess that would mean she is eating something we're putting in. I'll post parameters tomorrow. Hoping to get some fry food too to see if that will help. :)

She seemed to be ok last night. Perked up a bit after the water change. :) has been hiding in the new glass "cave" we put in there. If I'm home for a few min today ill try to post a new video. :)

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 76F

Nitrite: 0.5-0.75 ppm

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

We are doing back to back 90%'s since I'm not sure if the nitrites are under 0.75 or not. Figured that was safest. We also bought some liquid fry food and earlier today, put her in a cup and fed her a little and she seemed a little off. She perked up quite a bit 10 minutes later, so I think it helped! :) She was even swimming around opening her mouth afterward quite a bit. My boyfriend tried some in a syringe tonight and it worked ok. We think she may have nibbled a bit. Hopefully that will continue! It says to feed 3 times a day (3 drops)...does that seem like a good amount to aim for?

Also, here is a video from 2 days ago that I am finally getting to post! :)

You did exactly the right thing in doing that back to back WCs. That may be the way of WCs for a little while until things have settled, I think.

I'm really happy to hear that she ate some. The amount of food is fine, and keep try to get her to open her mouth more often :)

Yay! Glad to hear we are sorta getting the hang of this. We've also gotten the water changes down to an art...half hour or so. :) Hoping that the new food will help. Prazi should be here soon too! :)

Tank parameters before we did 2 back to back 90% changes:

Temp: 78F

Ammonia: 0.2-0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 2.0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

She didn't really want to eat much today, but hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly. She is opening her mouth more. :)

Ok. Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 78F

Nitrite: 2 ppm (maybe a little higher) :(

Nitrate: 15 ppm

I also got the Prazi in the mail today! We should probably do a double water change to eliminate the nitrites. Should I wait till the water quality is better to use the Prazi?

Ok. At least I have it now! :) Shipping always takes forever when you're waiting for something. My boyfriend tried feeding her the fry food this morning and he said she got a little bit. I tried some very TINY pieces of pea tonight and she went after them but didn't open her mouth to get them. :( We'll probably try the fry food before the water changes tonight again.

I did test the tap water too last night because I was starting to wonder if something was maybe wrong with the drops since it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere. It tested 0 ppm for nitrite, so its the tank. :( Hoping it gets better soon!

Tank parameters tonight:

Ammonia: 0.2-0.25ppm

Nitrite: 2-3 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Planning on doing a double water change (90%). Is there anything else we can do to help the cycle along? Would more water changes help? Just wondering. :)

Tank parameters tonight:

Ammonia: 0 ppm!!! :)

Nitrite: 4 ppm? (maybe 3 but it was bright)

Nitrate: 20 ppm

I was really excited to see 0 ppm for the Ammonia and then not so happy when I finished testing the nitrites. We did a 90% double water change immediately and added everything. Also fed her some of the fry food. She is less active than normal but I am hoping she is just tired and maybe sleeping.

Since the nitrites got so high, should I try to do 2 water changes tomorrow to help it stay lower? Maybe one in the afternoon and one at night? Or is it better to do the double at night?

The more water changes you do at this point, the better! :)

I think part of being less active is because the nitrites are so high. Was she able to eat anything?

Ok. :) I figured that but I wasn't sure. I might try to do two tomorrow and then we'll do a double tomorrow night if we need to based on tests. I'll keep you posted.

She got a little of the fry food. Still doesn't want to open her mouth even when we push gently underneath her mouth and lift her mouth out of the water. The past week it seemed to be better and she was opening her mouth more but I'm wondering if the water quality is making it worse today. :(

Unfortunately, water quality will have a lot to do with this, and I am hoping that your diligence in caring for her will result in the cycle being fixed ASAP!

You are doing a fantastic job, btw. :)

Tank parameters:

Temp: 76F

Ammonia:0 ppm

Nitrites: 3-4 ppm

Nitrates: 5 ppm

Did a double 90% change tonight (afternoon change didn't happen because I got off work late). I bought some frozen cube food at the LFS too and we gave her a cube tonight...it wasn't frozen enough I don't think and kinda went everywhere but she managed to get some into the glass we have in there for her and was picking at it and I am pretty certain she ate a good deal of it! :) We are going to try giving her one tomorrow too. Should we thaw it/soak it before putting it into her tank?

Ooh I'm glad she got some! Great job! :)

I usually thaw it first, but some others don't. In this case, whichever way that helps her eat best is the way to go. We are in let's get Pucca to eat mode! :)

We have poop! And its not just air bubbles! :) Its odd to be so excited about that but I had to post. We are going to give her more of that food tonight and see if she can get some more down. I'll post before the water change with an update tonight. :)