Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

Tank parameters tonight:

Temperature:78 F

pH: 7.4

Nirtites: 2.0 ppm

Nitrates: 20 ppm

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Should I do a water change tonight? And if I do, should I add Cycle, salt?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do 90%. I wasn't able to get HP...:( I don't know why it is to hard to make it to the store, but it just keeps not happening. I am getting a ride to school tomorrow and I am going to ask her to take me by, so hopefully by tomorrow night I should have that. If I do, we should just do what you posted before right? (1 part HP to 9 parts tank water?)

Also, out of curiosity, is it good or bad that the nitrites are higher?

For both ammonia and nitrites, we want these values to be zero. Both are toxic, but we are relying on both Prime, salt, and daily water changes to block the toxic effects until the cycle fixes itself.

Yes, 1 part HP and 9 parts tank water :)

Ok...we did the HP dip...10 seconds exactly. She wasn't happy, but she's back in the tank swimming around so I guess it went ok. The inside of her gills looks a little darker than I remember it being before the dip (it looked more red) if that helps. I'll try to post a video soon. I also ordered the Prazi, so hopefully it will get here soon! :)

Tank parameters are:

Temp: 77F

pH: 7.7 (it was really hard to read this time...between 7.6 and 7.9 for sure)

Ammonia: 0.35-0.40 ppm

Nirtites: 2 (maybe as high as 3) ppm

Nirtates: 5 ppm

Should I do a water change, how much, and what should I put in now? :)

Ok. Thanks. That is what I figured...nitrites are SO high. :( I am thinking a 90% change. And I'll add double the Prime, salt, and Cycle? That sound good?

Ok. Thanks. That is what I figured...nitrites are SO high. :( I am thinking a 90% change. And I'll add double the Prime, salt, and Cycle? That sound good?

Hello. You'll actually need to do the 90% WC, fill it up, then take out another 90%, then fill it back up again. When nitrites are at this crazy high stage, we will need to do double WCs like that to completely get rid of it.

When you are done, add double dose Prime, 1.5 teaspoons of salt, and Cycle.

How is Pucca doing? Have you tried using the syringe again?

Ok! Phew! Double 90% water changes are done and everything is added! :) She is swimming around and seems to be in good spirits...maybe a little twitchy. I'm going to crush up some small flakes and see if I can get her to eat one or two of those at least tonight and we'll try to hand feed her tomorrow. It seems to stress her out, so we decided to not do it tonight. Hopefully all that will help the nitrites to go down! Did the HP dip kill the flukes (if that is what she has) or just slow them down? Just curious. I will post videos tomorrow...getting tired. :(

The HP should kill a good bunch of the flukes. How much I can't really tell unless we quantitate before and after. The protocol is supposed to be very effective, though :)

I hope it kills them all! :) Prazi is being shipped though so I'll let you know as soon as I get it. I think my boyfriend had some small success in hand-feeding her today...she still isn't opening her mouth well but she is becoming more comfortable for being held and trying. He thinks she got a small amount in her mouth during a struggle, so maybe she ate a little tonight! We tried putting flakes in the tank too and she seemed to be going after them more aggressively today which I thought was a good sign maybe, although she still isn't able to eat them.

Tank parameters:

Temp: 78 F

pH: 7.4 (Yay! It went back to what it normally is!)

Ammonia: 0.5 ppm

Nirtite: 1-2 ppm (closer to 1 though I think)

Nitrate: 10 ppm

What kind of water change should we do? I've been adding 5 mL of Cycle each night after the first 3 (per directions on the bottle), but should I add a little more to help get things jump started?

Do another 90% WC, and be prepared to do 2 back to back one tomorrow.

I would only add the prescribed amount of Cycle each day, since I don't think that it's known that adding more = quicker repair. I think you are almost there though.

I hope she did have something to eat. I think she is definitely getting used to the idea of being handled!

Will do. :) When I do the back-to-back's tomorrow, should I shoot for 90% again each time? I should still add salt and double Prime too right tonight? Thanks for walking me through this every night by the way...I think it is helping. Its a slow process, but I am learning a lot and maybe starting to get the hang of some of it. :)

Yes, to all your questions :)

I'm very happy to be of whatever assistance I can. Pucca is a tough fish with two very dedicated and caring keepers! It is a slow process, but we are fine with that :)

Just wanted to pop in and give my best wishes for Pucca. :heart. She is such a little doll and a fighter, I just know she will come through this. Keep up the good work, Jolly and boyfriend-of-Jolly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! :) Hopefully she'll be better soon but if it means water changes for a month, I'm up for it! :) I am amazed she has made it this far, especially since she started out as a fish I won at a carnival. :) Just goes to show that love, care and education can keep any fish alive. :)

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 80F (not sure how it got that warm...trying to take it down a degree or so each water change)

Nitrites: 2.0 ppm

Nitrates: 20 ppm

We are doing back to back 90% water changes right now. Hoping they help. She is acting really skittish today and was not happy with hand-feeding so I don't think she ate anything. :( Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Should we do another HP dip while waiting on the Prazi or anything? It says its on its way but it will still be a few days...

She is acting kind of weird to me. I am not sure exactly what bottom sitting is, but she hung out down there after the water change and just looked, for lack of a better word, exhausted. She is looking a little better now a few minutes after the water change. Do you think the higher temperature (~80F) would cause her to act strange? The tank is back to 78F which is normal now after both water changes.

I understand what you mean. I think the looming problem is that it has been a while since she's eaten, so I think that it's getting to her. :(

Try, if you can to gently force open and mouth and feed her some peas.

She is acting a little better today. I am hoping maybe she ate one of the flakes we put in this morning. Gotta keep trying. :)

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 79F

Nitrite: 0.75-1.00 (its a bright purple but not dark...I wish the drops would turn it different colors instead of shades of purple!)

Nitrate: 10 ppm

What kind of water change should we do tonight? I was thinking 90%, but I'll wait to see what you think. :) And we'll see if we can get her to eat a little...

A 90% WC is OK, but if you can do two back to back WCs, then replace double Prime, salt, and Cycle, that would be fantastic.

In general, if nitrite is less than 0.75, one 90% WC is good. If it's higher, we want to get as much of it out as possible, so two back to back one are better.

I really hope the cycle gets under control soon. You guys are doing an amazing job of trying to help her :)