Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

you can try to gently rub the nozzle of the syringe from beneath her mouth upward.. as soon as it touchers her lips, she should open her mouth.. do it slowly and gently though, you don't want to scare her.

the most important thing is once you gently catch her in your hand, hold her loosely for a bit so that she feels comfortable with you in that you're not there to harm her. also make sure that you haven't covered her gills in any way with your hand once she is calm, you can then try to feed her.

if you catch her and she takes more than 10 or 15 seconds to settle, please let her go gently and try again in a few minutes. you can try this several times before you actually try to feed her. it's normal that a fish feels insecure in our hand at first. kinda like preparing a horse for it's first ride.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll let you know how it goes tonight. :)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we sure it's not gill flukes guys? Especially if the fish keeps yawning.

I am not sure, but it was pretty normal for her to yawn...I don't know if I am describing it correctly. She opens her mouth when swimming and closes it. She did this before she stopped eating too if that helps at all. What would the signs be for gill flukes?

Exactly. Yawning, mouth issues and swollen gill plates are just signs of flukes. Would it be possible for you to get your hands on PraziPro from Hikari? Then we can help you dose it. It is very mild. You will just need to watch the water parameters and just redose it a little more often I guess.

Plus Prazi is a usually QT routine so if the fish haven't yet been treated then this is a great time :)

Is the Prazi something I have to order online? I looked at one of my LFS today and didn't see any. :( My boyfriend spent about an hour getting Pucca comfortable with his hand in the tank and then a half hour with the syringe trying to hand feed her, but he couldn't get her to open her mouth to get it in. :( I tried putting some pieces of pea in the tank earlier too and she rooted around for a bit but didn't get any. I am going to try putting some bloodworms in the tank tonight after we do the water change. I'll post parameters after I change it. I should put more Cycle in tonight since we're doing a large water change right? She seems to rub against the gravel siphon when its in the water too if that helps in figuring out what it is.

What is an HP dip?

Yes, please put more Cycle after you do the WC :)

But, if you don't mind, could you please post parameters before WC? It may be that you don't need to do a WC.

HP = hydrogen peroxide. There is a protocol of use a diluted solution to kill the vast majority of flukes. It's not a substitute for Prazi, which you will probably have to order online, but it's a quick way to decimate the flukes, give you a little more time to work with things.

The method is this: 1 part HP to 9 parts tank water. You place the fish in the solution for 10 seconds. Then you move her back into her tank. That's it :)

I will post parameters before I do one. :) Working on homework so the water change hasn't happened yet. I don't think I have any hydrogen peroxide but I could probably get some tomorrow...

Tank Parameters:

Temp: 78 F

pH: 7.4-7.5

Ammonia: 0.35 ppm (maybe as low as 0.25, but looks darker to me)

Nitrites: 0.25-0.35ppm (hard to tell, not 0.50ppm but above 0.25ppm)

Nitrates: 10 ppm

Should I go ahead and do a water change then?

Also, she has pooped today at least once that we saw...it was really long, mostly clear and floated until it got wrapped around a plant...don't know if that is helpful. If she is pooping, does that mean she is somehow getting some food?

Let's skip the water change tonight. I would like for you to add a double dose of Prime, and another dose of Cycle into the tank. The reason for this is we want to push the biological filter to expand, and we can afford to skip WC tonight. At this ideal pH, over 99% of the ammonia is non-toxic, and we have salt to block Nitrite. Moreover, the double dose of Prime will detoxify everything anyway. Let's add Cycle and give the supplement a chance to work.

Goldfish unfortunately can still poop empty casings even when they haven't eaten. :(

So double dose of prime for the whole tank (~10 gallon dose?) and should I add a bit more salt too? We did slightly less than 1 tsp last night I think when we did the 90% water change. And I will add the full dose of Cycle right?

I am hoping feeding will go better tomorrow since she got more and more comfortable with him holding her today. We'll see. :( It makes me sad...

Got it! :) I'll update parameters tomorrow before I do anything else (probably be tomorrow afternoon/evening before I can get anything bought and get home). Thanks! :)

Small bit of good news! When I got up and walked by the tank this morning, she was swimming laps in the front like she used to do right before we'd feed her and going up to the top. I decided to try putting a few small flakes in to see what would happen and she went after them like crazy and actually ate at least half of a flake (didn't open her mouth as wide as she used to do eat), but I know she ate a bit of one at least! Progress maybe! :)

Ok...trying to hand feed her again. She will sit at the surface in my boyfriend's hand calmly, but will not open her mouth for the syringe. :( She has occasionally opened her mouth to yawn I guess as she is swimming (maybe once or twice an hour), so it will open, but the hand-feeding isn't going well. Any other tips? We weren't able to get the hydrogen peroxide today, but I will get it first thing tomorrow. :(

Water parameters before the water change:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nirtite: 2.0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

pH: 7.4

Temp--78F

The Nitrites seem really high. We are going to do a 50-60% water change, add prime, 0.5 tsp of salt, and the full dose of the nutrafin cycle. Does that sound ok? Should we do more?

Would you please do as close to a 100% WC as you could, then add double dose Prime, 1.5 teaspoons salt, and Cycle?

I'm going to try to see how you can help her eat in this condition.

Hang in there.

We did about a 70%. We're already done. :( Maybe I can do another one tomorrow morning to help. Would that be good? I think we put about a tsp of salt in. Thanks for checking on the eating thing. I don't know what we're doing wrong. I took a video, so I'll try to post that if that would be helpful.

Please don't think you are doing anything wrong. You are doing everything you possibly can to help her, and have brought her back from disaster before. Let's keep trying, OK?

I'll check in often tomorrow. Would you please do a parameter check for deciding on a WC? Thanks :)

I will keep trying. :) I was just really hoping she would eat today after the happy moment this morning. :( We will make her better somehow! I will post parameters before I do anything tomorrow and wait to see what you think before we do one. Do you know of a reputable site to order PraziPro from? I have found several that sell it, but I'm not sure which one to do or who has fast shipping, etc.