Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

Yes, I do think the the fraying fins are most likely attributable to water quality issues, which is occurring beyond your control. Once you have it back under control, the fins will definitely get better.

The Nutrafin Cycle is great for fixing damaged cycles like this, and once fixed, you don't have to continue using it.

She looks good overall. Do you think her gill plates look like they are swollen a little bit?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might be slightly swollen. Nothing too noticeable that I can tell. I will keep an eye on them though and update. I am probably going to get a small bottle of the Nutrafin Cycle tomorrow and start adding it with tomorrow night's water change. I am sure it will have instructions, but I may double check on here before I do it as I am not used to adding this much into the water at once and I don't want to mess anything up. :) Do you think a small bottle will be enough to fix this or should I try to find a larger one? Also, when I was looking at her gills, she swam up to the surface and gulped an air bubble! I haven't seen her do that in days. Hopefully its a good sign! :)

My boyfriend says the gills have looked that way for at least a week now (not changed recently), so maybe they've been swollen for a while and I didn't notice. Thought I'd add that observation in case it helps. To me, they look slightly swollen and maybe a little more white than they were before but I think that video made them look worse than they look in real life.

Will you go back and check older videos to compare the gill plates? I would like to know because it may give us an important clue to the current problem.

When you get the Cycle, use the directions for a brand new tank :)

Ok...after much comparison, we think they look pretty much the same. While we were medicating her for the fin problem before, I did notice they looked a little smaller, but before and after, they look like they do now for the most part. I am just wondering now though if we are looking at different things. By gill plates do you mean where her gills are on the sides of her (cheeks I guess?) or underneath. The underside of her mouth looks different to me recently, but that may be because she has/is growing.

Ok. :) Just making sure. Are they also called operculums? Her cheeks don't look different to me then at the moment. I will keep an eye on them though and try to take video daily to see if I can notice a change just in case. :)

Yay, I think I learned something in my Paleontology class then! :) Lol. I am going to get some sleep. I will post parameters before we do the water change tomorrow night and update again then. :)

Oh poor fish.

I had a fish who got a similar issue. She wouldn't open her mouth ever, not even to eat. But when I took her out of the water she sort of went into 'panic mode' and opened her mouth.

From what I read, it could have been caused by gill flukes which also get into the mouth. Have you ever treated with prazi?

If the mouth doesn't unlock you might have to get a catheter and place it a little into the mouth and feed liquid food.

Oh poor fish.

I had a fish who got a similar issue. She wouldn't open her mouth ever, not even to eat. But when I took her out of the water she sort of went into 'panic mode' and opened her mouth.

From what I read, it could have been caused by gill flukes which also get into the mouth. Have you ever treated with prazi?

If the mouth doesn't unlock you might have to get a catheter and place it a little into the mouth and feed liquid food.

She can open her mouth though...just doesn't seem to be able to coordinate getting food into it at the moment. :( Was your fish able to open it at all?

For tonight's water change, I plan on doing 80-90% water change. When we're done, do I add the Prime, Nutrafin Cycle (just got that tonight), AND 1.5ish tsp of dissolved salt? I also got pea baby food and a small syringe...I have no idea how to hand feed her though, so any tips on that would be appreciated. :)

Yes, Prime and again less than 1.5 teaspoons salt.

Add the amount of Cycle as suggested by the bottle for a brand new tank :)

It will take a few days for the cycle to right itself, at least.

Ok. Just making sure I don't add too much/wrong combination of things. Tank parameters before the water change are:

Ammonia: 0.35 ppm

Nitrite: 0.5 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

pH: 7.4

I also got some freeze-dried blood worms. Should I try putting one or two in the tank and seeing if those get her to eat?

With the freeze dried worms, make sure you soak it really really well, and then certainly try to feed her.

Parameters look decent. Hopefully the Cycle will kick it back in gear :)

Here you go. This is a video made by stakos, one of our mods on the forum. You can load the syringe with peas baby food and see if you have any luck! It will take a little bit of getting used to :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwTpEiMkZRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did she eat any blood worms?

• Supporter

fantastic progress and advice.. the only thing i would like to add is garlic juice.. fish are suckers for garlic! they love it, it's good for them too. it does help to open the appetite also.. good luck and good work :)

So far she hasn't gone for any of them, but I think she was distracted by the water change when we put them in. I'm keeping and eye on her and seeing if she gets any of them. I put the Cycle in too, so hopefully that will help a little. She is swimming around quite a bit and yawns every now and then. I am wondering how you got your fish to open its mouth like that though. Pucca did not do that at all when we had her out of the water a bit. Did your fish do that right away Stakos or is that video taken after she is used to that? Just wondering. :) I have a pretty small syringe so I am hoping that helps. I was really hoping she'd go for the bloodworms but nothing yet. I think we may try the peas tomorrow...pretty tired. Maybe I can get some garlic juice tomorrow too. I'll update on how that goes. Would it be ok to put a little in the water and see if she goes for it or is that a bad idea? Thanks for all the help again. Hopefully tomorrow we can get some food in her finally! :)

Go ahead and try. You may have to gently pry her mouth open (taking care never to use force) so that you can use the syringe to give her food.

Good luck!

• Supporter

you can try to gently rub the nozzle of the syringe from beneath her mouth upward.. as soon as it touchers her lips, she should open her mouth.. do it slowly and gently though, you don't want to scare her.

the most important thing is once you gently catch her in your hand, hold her loosely for a bit so that she feels comfortable with you in that you're not there to harm her. also make sure that you haven't covered her gills in any way with your hand once she is calm, you can then try to feed her.

if you catch her and she takes more than 10 or 15 seconds to settle, please let her go gently and try again in a few minutes. you can try this several times before you actually try to feed her. it's normal that a fish feels insecure in our hand at first. kinda like preparing a horse for it's first ride.