Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

What does her poop look like?

I don't think you will get rid of the cycle entirely, but I think something had happened to cause a bump, and with the additional action of removing the gravel, the parameters are going to be out of whack. I re-read an old thread of this forum, and Trinket, one of the moderators, seem to think that the problem could be from cycle issues and recommends that there must be no detectable ammonia, nitrites etc at all times. So, this means you'll need to do 80-90% WCs daily for the near future. Trinket thinks that once the water quality is under control, the mouth will heal and open again.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her poop looks brown, kinda stringy and a little bubbly/knotted I think with a slight black spot on one of the ends. I may have gotten a video of some of it. I will post it if I did. Is it ok that she hasn't eaten for 3 days (that I have seen) and may not for a little bit? How much/often should we feed her? I think we may have been overfeeding her based on all the gunk that was in the gravel. I have pellets and flakes and some deshelled peas, so I can try any of those. We are almost ready to put her in the cleaned tank. Hope it goes ok! I'll post videos soon.

Do you have an LFS nearby that you could go and ask if they have some liquid food for fry? I think we are going to have to set up some sort of assisted feeding for her for the duration that she is unable to open her mouth to eat. If they don't, we can make up some nutrious food for her that we can use to feed...even baby food would work :)

We'll get to that part tomorrow. I know she hasn't eaten in a few days, and you worry, but goldfish can go for days without food.

Is it easy for you to open or mouth without much struggle?

We only got it open once after trying with a pair of the softest tweezers I could find in about 5 minutes of trying. It isn't like its glued shut, she just doesn't want to open it and I don't think we're good at trying to force it open. :( We tried lifting just her head out of the water but she would either try to jump away or just stare at us. She has opened her mouth on her own a little, but just not to eat that I know of. Hopefully the new non-gravel bottom will let us see what she is and isn't eating. I am getting some ammonia reading with completely fresh water that has been treated with the right amount of Seachem Prime in the tank. Do you think maybe the test isn't working correctly? It says its at 1 ppm. :(

Nitrites are at 0ppm. I am wondering if the ammonia test isn't working because there should be none in the new water right? Now I am scared to add her back into the tank but she's been out of it for a while and seems restless. :( What should I do?

No, but I can really quick. Everything else seems fine though. pH is reading the same at around 7.4 and nitrites are zero. Isn't the water in there essentially tap water since we replaced it all? I did another reading after we did the 100% water change and cleaned everything. The water has Prime in it too now, but that is it.

Go ahead and test the tap, because it's good to know.

As for the Prime-treated water, you can't really do a test right after adding Prime to the water, because Prime itself will give you a false reading. The fact that you are getting a reading of 1ppm meant that you were pretty precise in adding exactly the right dose of Prime for that volume of water :)

Check the tap. It shows zero, you are all set :)

Well...the tap water is showing 0.5 ppm ammonia. :( That could be our problem I guess then? How do we fix that? We put her in the tank because I need to go to bed and we figured the Prime would help with it and she was probably in worse water before I guess. I'll get the videos uploaded asap. Thanks for helping so late!

Here are the videos I took. Not sure if any of them show what you need to see, so let me know if you'd like me to try again and I will tomorrow. She is exploring her new tank now and seems ok. Hoping that the Prime detoxified the ammonia enough. Should I add more tomorrow?

Tried to get her gills in the shot...

New tank set-up

This one shows the poop I think...

I am getting ready to do a water change tonight. I plan on doing at least 50%, maybe a little more. What should I do about the ammonia in my tap water? Do I need to get an additional water treatment chemical, use extra Prime? For tonight, I'll use the normal dose. I am hoping that is working ok. Her fins are starting to fray ever so slightly but that could be from being handled so much yesterday too I suppose. :( She still isn't eating. I put a couple pieces of pea in tonight and she didn't get them. Let me know if I should do anything else to help her. I can try to check Friday (or tomorrow if need be) for liquid food.

Hello. If you use double the Prime dosage, you should be fine. (Edit: Elli posted while I was still writing this up :) )

Can you check ammonia/nitrite of the tank before doing WCs?

When you go ask for liquid food, could you stop by Walmart and ask for the smallest (1cc) syringe and may be get a jar of peas baby food?

Edited by dnalex

Sure. Is the syringe something PetSmart would have? I thought I might look for food there, but if I don't see anything promising, I can get the peas and syringe from WalMart (any idea where they'd have those in the store?). I'll post water parameters in 5 min. :)

Sure. Is the syringe something PetSmart would have? I thought I might look for food there, but if I don't see anything promising, I can get the peas and syringe from WalMart (any idea where they'd have those in the store?). I'll post water parameters in 5 min. :)

I'm not sure if Petsmart would have the syringes, but Walmart does at their pharmacy. I just ask the nice workers there, and they give them to me for free. (It's nice to have them to measure your Prime, for example.)

My thinking is that until she can begin to open her mouth again, you will need to assist her in feeding with liquid food. Is her mouth open at all? May be try to get some frozen blood worms at Petsmart also.

She is opening her mouth on occasion now and seems interested in food, but not getting it. I will ask at Walmart for a syringe and get some baby food. We're doing the water change now. I guess we'll do a little more than 50 to try to get the nirites down...never seen those with testing before. :(

Is there anything we can do (aside from Prime at double dose) to get the parameters to be better? I feel like they're getting worse. :(

If you haven't done the WC yet, I would recommend doing a 90% WC, because there is quite a bit of nitrite in the tank. I know that you have ammonia in the tap, but the really excellent news is that at pH 7.4, very little of that ammonia is toxic, and that bit is detoxified by the double dose of Prime. We just need to worry about taking out nitrites.

Do you have any aquarium salt (Morton's canning & picking OK as well) left? I would like for you to dissolve 1.5 teaspoons and add to the tank. This will help to prevent the nitrite induced blood poisoning.

The other thing you can do to fix the cycle is to get a product called Cycle (by Nutrafin). It's a bit expensive, though.

I'm glad she's opening her mouth more! Pucca is a strong fish :)

Edited by dnalex

We did about 80%. I'll make sure we do one tomorrow as soon as possible (maybe afternoon) and get 90%. We did double dose the Prime. I'll add the salt. We just dissolve it in boiling water, wait for temperature to equilibrate and add it in right? I have plenty of salt. :) I am glad the pH is staying the same. That is a good sign right? Should we do just one water change a day to keep nitrites low? We could maybe manage one in the morning and one at night if that would help.

One WC day would be perfect, and two would be that much better :)

Just make sure to check your parameters each night, and when you do WCs, make sure to add double dose Prime, and replace the amount of salt taken out with WCs.

Yup...dissolving salt the way you described it is :thumb:

Ok. :) Thanks so much for helping! I would have no idea what to do! Going to add the salt as soon as its cooler and get some sleep. I'll post an update tomorrow night as soon as I can.

Tank parameters before tonight's water change:

Temperature: 79 F

pH: 7.7 (This changed a bit.) :(

Nitrite: 0.5 ppm

Ammonia: 0.4 ppm

Nitrate: ~10 ppm (this color is kinda hard to distinguish for me so it could be a bit higher or lower)

We are going to do a 90% water change and do double the Prime and add 1.5 tsp of salt. Let me know if I should do something else. I got a syringe today, but didn't have a chance to get food. :( My boyfriend has been crushing up a few flakes really small and we think she may be getting a few of them at least. I am going to try a pea tonight and see if she goes for it. Her fins are showing a little fraying at the ends (wondering if this is from handling her with gloves/stress). We have some Marycn 2 left which we can start if you think that would be good, but I worry about trying to fix the water parameters and do that at the same time. I'll watch for a reply and get her water changed in the mean time. Thanks!

Let's try to fix the tank's conditions first before considering whether the Maracyn 2 is necessary. The pH of 7.7 is fine :)

Double Prime and may be just a tad less than 1.5 tsp salt.

You are doing all that you can to help her. Hang in there! :)

Ok. :) Thanks! We will just add part of the salt solution (its dissolving as we speak). Could the fin problems be related to stress and water conditions this time and not the same thing it was last time? Just curious. Its nowhere near as bad as it was...here is a video where you might be able to see it. Also, is it normal for the nitrites to get worse before they get better? I am considering getting the Cycle Fix stuff that was mentioned before to help things along tomorrow. Is it something I could use for a while and stop or would I have to keep using it if I start?