Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

Just finished doing a 50% water change. Took a reading with the strips just before and numbers were: Nitrate: 10, Nitrite: 0, GH:140, KH:90, pH: 7.4, and Ammonia: 0. I also got a better video of the brown spots so you can see them. I am hoping they mean she is healing, but they make me a bit nervous. I forgot to buy the salt at the store tonight, but I will do my best to get it tomorrow or the next day (Tuesday or Wednesday). I knew I was forgetting something! I'll let you know as soon as I can get the salt. :)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her tail seems to be growing back! I'll try to post a video when we do a water change tomorrow night. And I am still working on getting the salt. Its been a rough week! Just thought I'd post a quick update. :)

Ok. I got the salt! :) Your description made it very easy to find...and it was cheap! Yay! I read the post on the other forum about salting and will wait for confirmation, but I plan on adding 10 tsp of the salt to my 10 gallon aquarium to salt it to 0.1%. Is that right? We do have a lot of ornaments and some gravel though so I didn't know if maybe I should do 8 or 9 instead. Also, are normal kitchen measuring spoons ok to use for the tsp measurement? Using a normal spoon makes me sorta nervous since they are not really uniform sizes. Can I dissolve the salt in room temperature water that has been treated with seachem prime or do I need to boil it to dissolve it and then treat it? I am planning on doing a water change in a few minutes and will take a video to show everyone the progress she has made in healing! :) She is now starting to "eat" and then thankfully spit out rocks from the bottom of the tank. Is that something I should worry about or pretty normal fish behavior? Just wondering.

Yay! Goldfish dig around all day looking for food, so that's pretty normal. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure a pebble doesn't get stuck in her mouth.

I will wait to see the update video, but I am beginning to think that the salt is not needed at this time, since she seems to be healing splendidly. In that case, just save the salt, because it's a handy thing to have. :)

Ok. Finally got the water change done. :) She was very happy about it. Took the video right afterward, so that is why the water looks a bit cloudy and she is chasing everything that floats in case it is food. :) The water parameters still look pretty good (pre-water change): Nitrates: 20 (needed a water change!), Nitrite: 0, GH: 100, KH-100-110, pH:7.3, Ammonia: 0. Still waiting on money to get the better water test kit so still using the strips for now. The video is below. I hope she is healing. Let me know what you think. :)

Aw. She does look amazing, and the tail is growing back nicely. At this point, I see no reason to add salt, since you've have done such an incredible job with providing her fresh water to heal :)

Please give yourself a big pat on the back, and keep up the excellent work :)

WOW..............what a story...........and a v happy ending

Just a snip of a tail............no swimming control problem..........and regenerating so soon.....happy days!!!!

how long was the tail before?

Thanks everyone! :) I am very happy she is on the mend. Her tail was about double-triple the length it is right now and orange. I will post videos to keep you updated as healing continues. And I am glad I have the salt now just in case. It is good to be prepared. Thanks for providing me with such good information, advice, and encouragement. I am learning so much! :)

Ok...no time for a long update, but here is a video of her progress. :) I think she is healing quite well so far. I'll try to post updated water parameters and another video this weekend.

Just thought you might like an update. :) Sorry I haven't gotten this up sooner, but school has been crazy! She seems to be much happier and her tail is growing fast. Tank parameters still look good. Here is a video I took earlier today after a water change.