Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

LOL I like your YouTube username :)

I think there is definite improvements. For right now, the signs we are looking for first and foremost are indications that things have not worsened. This lets us know that we are doing the right thing, and it appears to be so. :)

What kind of gravel vacuum do you use? Is it the changing system, or the manual one?

You're doing a great job, btw. Hang in there. Oh, and for now, do you have a mesh bag or something with holes in it that you can use to put some food in there and then put that in the media tub? This way we will get some ammonia produced to feed the filter media.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! :) I love bats too, but no one will let me have one as a pet. Lol. The gravel vaccuum is a manual one as far as I know. Its just a long thin tube with about a foot long slightly larger tube that uses suction to pull things out. Thanks for the encouragement. I put some food into the media tub yesterday and broke it up a little. Should I put more in? I will look for a mesh bag too. Also, this may be a side question, but do you think sinking goldfish food is better than the flakes? It seems to me like she is not able to get the flakes off the top sometimes and then doesn't eat them. I don't know what is better. I have always used flakes in the past, but that is because I didn't know other food was available.

Hi. Sorry I couldn't update last night. Had my first day back to college yesterday and it was pretty hectic. We did do almost a 100% water change...our vaccuum won't let us do a total one, but got as much water out as we could and got the next packet of medicine in. I think I only have one dose left for tomorrow which will be 5 days I think. She still seems to be doing ok. Swimming around pretty normally. She seems extra hungry and is eating anything she can find on the bottom and when she is fed. Think the medicine is making her hungry or maybe we just aren't feeding her enough? I am going to try to get some sinking pellets next time we are at the store until I can figure out other food. I will try to post a video tonight when I get home. I thought that the tail looked a little less red and irritated last night and she still has the spot on her side but it doesn't look as bad either. Do you think her tail will regrow? Just wondering. I will update tonight as soon as I can

I make a homemade gel food...much more nutrients and cheaper. There are plenty of good sinking pellets out there as well like pro gold or saki hikari.

Thanks for the advice! :) How do you make your gel food? I keep hearing about peas and that sounds kinda fun to try to feed her.

Yay! I'm really glad. I'm looking forward to the video. I hope not, but she MAY need another five days of treatment because of how extensive the damage was. We can make that evaluation in the video :)

We have a lot of threads on the forum on (gel) food. Have fun perusing!

Definitely feed her things like blanched spinach, cooked and de-shelled peas, etc. They are good for her, and she will love it :)

Update: I figured out that this is Day 4 of treatment, not 5. I forgot you use two packets for the first dose, so my counting was off. She still seems to be doing well. I did try feeding her a pea tonight and she went for it really quick and I think spit it out a little later, but I think she might like it if I try again. :) She is still eating flakes that we put in too. She seems pretty active as well. Her tail has a slight gray/black tinge on the end now. Not sure if that is good or bad, or if it has been like that and I just now noticed it. I took the volcano out last night when we did the water change and scrubbed it off well. There is a lot (already) of whitish colored algae I am guessing all over it today. I don't know if that is good or bad, so I thought I'd point it out. I think Josh tried to get a shot of it in the video. We also saw some orange colored algae/maybe food residue on the airline and cleaned it off. Did another almost total water change tonight and added a packet of medicine. I am putting a video below too so hopefully you can tell if there looks like there is improvement or if we need to continue treatment after tomorrow.

By the way, we also used the strips to test the water again (I am hoping I can get the drop test kit soon) and water seems to be staying pretty constant. pH is the same at 7.4. The only thing that seemed slightly lower was the KH (alkalinity number). It was around 100-110 instead of 120 which was the reading I took on 1/8/12. (It was around 100 when we got it tested at PetSmart too though on Saturday.) Ammonia is still at 0ppm and nitrate was around 5ppm (before the water change). Thought the numbers might be useful. :)

Oh, there has been absolute improvement! Bravo! I'm so impressed, and happy to see. Given the progress, I do not think that you will need to extend the course of treatment beyond the five recommend days. :)

What you are doing right now is exactly right. Because you took out filter media, there isn't any cycle going on, and so the almost 100% water is crucial, both to get out ANY possible ammonia and to give him so much needed fresh water during treatment.

Did you cook the pea? Once you cook and de-shell it, squish it between your fingers so that it's soft. Goldfish do have teeth, but it's in the back of their throats, and this will help. Definitely try again.

Great job! I look forward to tomorrow's update :)

Edit: Thanks for those numbers. They are definitely very helpful to know, and I was just about to ask!

Edited by dnalex

Yay! I am glad to hear she is better. I was hoping so. :) I steam cooked the pea and it was pretty soft but I will try smaller pieces (I pulled it into two last night). Is the algae normal (don't know if you could see it in the video or not)? And do you think her tail will grow back eventually. I hope so for her sake, but she does seem to be swimming ok, so maybe it isn't crucial that it does. Thanks for checking in on it. :)

The tail will grow back...but it will take some time. In the mean time, she will be fine. Actually, one of our forum members here has a fry who hatched without much of a caudal fin, and she is the largest of the surviving spawn :)

We put the last packet of medicine in last night. I didn't get to check on her long this morning, but she seemed pretty happy. I am planning on doing a throrough cleaning of the tank tonight. Do you have any advice on what exactly we need to make sure is clean and how to clean it all out? I know to use only water. Thought I may use a new toothbrush to get some of the whitish algae off of the volcano and cave ornaments. Do you have any ideas on how to clean out the filter before we put the old media back in? Also, is there a good way to get the gravel cleaned out? I will post a video too tonight so you can make sure she looks ok. Her tail kind of has a black tinge on the end now, but that may be a good thing. I am not sure.

The black is healing from chemical burn, which was the antibiotic. This is fine, as she will heal and get better, including growing a new tail :)

As for cleaning, I actually like to clean everything with hydrogen peroxide. HP is a disinfectant, and once you finish soaking/cleaning/brushing these objects, make sure you rinse well in dechlorinated water.

With gravel, just give it a really good stirring and vacuum out the water. You may need to do this several times.

The thing that will be really important is that you will need to monitor the parameters for the next couple of weeks pretty often. The filter media hopefully is still cycled, but there may be a bump, or even a crash. We'll just have to make sure she has superb water to heal :)

Update:

We scrubbed down the tank really really well when we got home tonight. Everything but the gravel came out and got a good scrubbing. We put her in the tub with the filter media after I did a slight water change in that to match temperatures. Got the gravel stirred up and vacuumed out pretty good I think too. We put her back in the tank and put the old filter media back in. I checked the water with my strips and the only thing that changed at all was the pH. It went from about 7.4 to 7.5-7.6. Can't wait till I have the water drop test kit so I can get better numbers. The ammonia level is still at 0. I will do a reading first thing in the morning and post numbers so I can make sure they are ok still. She seems happy and a little confused, but swimming around pretty well and definitely eating well. We took a quick video too when we put her back in the tank. I will post water stats in the morning. Thanks so much for helping! :)

She is definitely healing. You did an amazing job. :)

For the longer term goal of helping her grow back her fins, I would like for you to do as many water changes to the tank as you like, even daily. This will ensure that she has fresh clean water with little fear of bacterial buildup. Then, in about a week, if the parameters show that the tank cycle is still intact, I would like to salt the tank to 0.1%, both to prevent a secondary infection, and also to stimulate healing.

To that end, whenever you go to a grocery store or Walmart, go to the salt section and look for Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. It comes in a 4 pound blue/green box and costs under $1.50. Buy it, please. It is pure salt, and will come handy at various times in the future.

Again, you did a wonderful job. :)

I will look for the salt and pick it up soon. :) I may need help figuring out how to get the percentage right. As a science major, I am sure I should know how to do so, but I don't want to do it wrong. Now that the tank is a bit cleaner overall, water changes shouldn't be as hard. Do you think 50% changes daily would be a good goal for this week?

Here are the water test numbers from her tank before the water change this afternoon. Nitrate-10, Nitrite-0, GH-120, KH-80-90 (hard to tell), pH 7.3, and Ammonia-0. She seems to be eating well and happy so far. I will keep you posted about water quality and then hopefully I can learn to put some salt in later. I think we are getting groceries tomorrow so I will hopefully grab the salt then. So far so good. :)

Awww, what a little sweety! You did a great job, Jolly! She's lucky to have you.

Thanks! :)

Yay! I am so happy, and to be honest with you, I was hopeful but at the same time very leery of the way the filter media had to sit aside for days. I was worried that you would lose the cycle, but thanks to the excellent work on your part, it looks like everything has continued to progress spendidly.

Would you mind updating us at least weekly or so with a small video just so that we can document progress? Of course, update as often as you like. I can't wait to see him all healed up :)

Edited by dnalex

I was a bit worried about that too. I am glad its working so far. I'm keeping my eye on the pH as it seems to have varied a bit the past few days, but all in the 7.2-7.6 range and I think 7.4 is normal, so I think its just the test strips. I will try to post a video tomorrow evening. I can't wait to see her all better too! :)

Update: Here is a new video. She is still acting ok, but is getting some brown coloring on her body near her tail. Is this normal/good? Planning on doing another water change tonight but her tank parameters have not changed. Ammonia is still at 0, pH is still around 7.4-7.5. I'll do a reading tonight before I do the water change and update if I can. Let me know what you think about the brown color...is there anything I should do to help with that?

Just noticed that the video doesn't show the brown too well either...I'll see if I can post another one tonight.

Did you get the salt? I think so far the cycle looks like it is intact, so I would like to add salt to 0.1% to help both with the healing and to stave off secondary bacterial infections. :)