Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting tank water cooler? I never thought we'd have that problem, but we are in the middle of a giant heat wave (105+ for several days in a row now) and our tap water is hot. :( We tried to do a water change tonight and stopped halfway because our "cold" water was 80F plus. I've got about 6 bowls of water cooling in the fridge as we speak to finish filling her tank, but I am wondering if there is anything else you can get to do this. We've also added ice cubes and are air conditioning as cool as we can.

Pucca is doing ok. The Prazi really seemed to help her (I think I stopped after 4 rounds). She still can't open her mouth hardly at all but one corner has opened a little. She uses the filter wand to get air sometimes I think and we are still hand feeding her as often as we can (usually half fry food and half pea baby food or crushed up food cubes mixed together). Water parameters are still good too. Hoping we can get her through this heat wave. She is acting a little sluggish/bottom sitting a bit right now, but I think part of that has to do with the temperature.

She has also started doing a rather odd thing which I think may be related to her not being able to breathe well. She jumps a little, just enough to get her head out of the water repeatedly. The video shows it a little. I'll see if I can get her to cooperate for a better one soon. She doesn't like being videotaped for some reason. :) Hope everyone is having a great summer. Mine has been hectic but good so far. Thanks for any feedback/suggestions you have.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jolly,

Here is what I do when it's summer in Perth. I change water early in the morning to make use of the coolest time of day. I'd have about 8 litre bottles of water always in the fridge ready to go for a water change. I mix up the water out of the tap with the cold water and i fill up the bottle and put it in the freezer as I go in case I need more (don't forget to take them out when you're done :-)

I once read a comment from Stakos on Koko's that she watches the weather forecast and changes water when the temperatures are forecast to drop which I thought was pretty smart :-) and I've read on here that people open up the top of the tank and position a fan to blow over the top of the water to cool it down. Regarding sluggish-ness: warmer water carries less oxygen. Does Pucca have a bubbler in her tank to increase the oxygen somewhat?

Cheers,

Isabella.

Hi. Thanks for responding! She does have a bubbler which she likes a lot. Watching the weather forecast or doing morning changes is brilliant...I wish I had thought of something so simple. I am thinking about getting a couple gallon jugs and putting them in the fridge to cool the night before a water change. Maybe I can get another bubble wand going too to increase the oxygen. :) Now to find the tubing and bubble stones I packed away somewhere...:)

Hi Holly,

That's so fantastic to hear from you! I've been wondering about Pucca! I'm so glad she's still doing well, although at a bit diminished mouth functions. :)

I don't think you need to worry about getting a water cooler, since that's way more work and expenses than necessary. Even though the water may be warmer, it's OK if it's warmer by a few degrees. As Isabella said, the main thing is to make sure you have sufficient aeration.

Her odd behavior is related to the fact that she is unable to open and close her mouth. As goldfish regulate air bladder function through their mouths, she is probably just trying to deal with this.

When it cools down a bit, I'd like for you to treat her again with Prazi for another 4 rounds or so. Also, remind me in a week or so. I'll send you some new food that I think will be good for her and easier on her. :)

Sure! Sounds like a plan. I want to do everything possible for her. I think the heat wave is almost over...so as soon as it is, should I just start the Prazi from the beginning again? I have about half to 3/4 a 4oz bottle left. I think pet stores should carry it in case I need more but that should be enough hopefully. New food would be awesome! I think she is getting tired of the other. Liquidy is much easier to get in her mouth though, so we have given up on pretty much everything else for the moment. :( The cold fridge water seemed to perk her up a little at least for now and fresh water never hurts. :) We are still salting...should we stop that for now? (Put in a tablespoon and a half with 9.5-10 gallons after each water change.)

Yes, let's stop with the salting, since I'm assuming that your cycle is way back on track by now.

As for Prazi, just use up what you have; I don't think it's necessary to buy another bottle. I just want to make sure Pucca is cleared of flukes as much as possible, but I think that the mouth issue unfortunately will be a permanent thing.

The food that I will send is a gel food power, which you can use boiling water to turn into a soft gel. However, what I would like for you to do with it is to mix it into a tiny 1:1 mixture of warm water or cool water to make it into a liquid suspension and feed. The new food is a lot of good algae and some other arthropods and krill etc.

Ok. We added it tonight, but I'll do another water change in a few days and get it out. Should we salt with the Prazi when we start that? That food sounds awesome. I have a little blunt edge syringe that we use to feed her and the gel sounds like it would work well. :)

Yes, salt to 0.1% when you start the Prazi.

I'll have the food in a week or so, and I'll contact you via PM to send it :)

Thanks! :)

Hey. Pucca isn't doing very well at all tonight. She is extremely lethargic and is kind of curled around the filter wand at the moment. I was scared she was dying and I still am. Water parameters are ok and the temp is fine. Should we get her off the filter? She seems to be using it for air too though. :( I'm hoping she is better in the morning. Ill check off and on tonight and first thing when I get up if she's still with us.

She was curled around it...didn't seem to be stuck, but curled around it. I should have taken a picture. :( It was very weird...first time I've seen her do that. This morning she is down near the bottom of the tank...looks a little bit better but still very slow-moving. Should we try to feed her this morning or let her rest?

Ok. I'll double check parameters tonight and see if we can manage a small water change. Feeding her does seem to stress her out so we'll give her a break for today. Hoping she pulls through!

Oh my goodness, this fish has been through so much! I just noticed this thread and read the whole thing. It's like a little fish soap opera. I really hope Pucca gets better. <3

Oh my goodness, this fish has been through so much! I just noticed this thread and read the whole thing. It's like a little fish soap opera. I really hope Pucca gets better. <3

She has! Quite a crazy life. Thanks for the well wishes. :)

Does anyone think starting Prazi again now is a good idea? (The worst of the heat wave should be over now finally!) Could it be that her breathing problems are worse due to flukes? Just curious. She is swimming around a little more this afternoon, but still looks kind of miserable. :( If only fish could talk, so she could tell me how to help...

That's true. The last time she acted this sick was before we started the Prazi the first time and it helped, but I have never seen her this weak. :( The filter thing really worried me last night. She seems to be uninjured...her fins look a little ragged, but not splitting at all yet. When I walk up to the tank she does a lap. We'll just keep the water really clean for today and maybe feed her tomorrow if shes doing a little better. I just wish I could help more! I hope she isn't suffering too much.

Thanks for the well wishes. :) I went to do a water change last night and turns out my boyfriend added Prazi yesterday morning because he thought it might help and I hadn't gotten up yet to tell him not to. Lol. So...she is doing ok with it in there. I guess we should continue it now that we started it right? She did seem perkier tonight finally and we were able to get some food into her this afternoon. I'll keep you posted on her behavior. Hoping that it helps her and doesn't make her worse...

We do have salt in there...hopefully just to 0.1% (1.5 tablespoon per 10 gallons). When we change the water tomorrow to the no Prazi, should we not add any more? She is perkier...still not normal, but she is swimming around more today at least and not floating sideways at all. :)