Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. :) We got her to eat a little this morning. We have some tweezers that are thinner we forgot we had, so we used those and were able to open her mouth and get some liquid fry food in. She is still acting a little off, but much better than yesterday. I am hoping we can bring her back from the brink! We'll see. She does seem to be rubbing against things in her tank if that is helpful information...plants and such. I'll make sure the water stays clean. :)

Actually, as long as you are able to pry open her mouth and feed her, go ahead with the Prazi. I just didn't want her to starve at the same time.

Try the liquid food several times a day :)

Ok. What do I do to add the Prazi? Should we do a water change first? I have PraziPro. She is really struggling to breathe too it seems. Is this due to her inability to open her mouth? We did get some more fry food down her just now, so thankfully she is "eating" a little.

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 74F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 0 ppm

Unfortunately, as part of the breathing process, she has to draw water in through her mouth, and then push it out at high pressure through the gills (against the gill plates). By not being able to open her mouth, she is going to be struggling a bit. How are her gills? Are they still a healthy pink?

I'm glad you got the food into her. Try doing this several times a day, if you can.

Yes, please do a big WC before adding Prazi. This will be the last WC you do until 4 days later :)

Yay for being done with it! :) I hope the Prazi helps her...we think she may be "passing out" every now and then, but she might be sleeping too. Not sure. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Ok...crazy day! Graduation. :)

Quick fish update..she seems to be responding well to the Prazi. I saw her open both gills wide today for the first time in a long time. We have been getting some food down her too. She kind of opened and closed her mouth with the syringe in it...not super improvement, but something. :)

Woot! I'm so happy with this update! :D

Keep up the fantabulous work!

With Prazi, you will want to do a huge WC (90%) after 4 days. Then, don't add Prazi for 2-3 days after that. Then, you do another big WC, add the next round of Prazi, and so forth.

Treat 4x with Prazipro.

:Congrats: on your graduation! Many best wishes for your future endeavors :D

:) Thanks for the congratulations. :) It was fun. I have one paper to finish and I'm done!

Tank parameters tonight (we're one night off on the water change due to finals):

Temp: 78F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 15-20ppm

Did a 90% water change and added salt and a single dose of Prime. Tried to feed her twice today and she got a little down both times. I'll plan on another dose of Prazi in 2-3 days. That sound right? :)

Hi! :) Sorry about the long pause in updates. I was somehow busier being "done" with school than I was in school. Lol. Life is funny sometimes. Pucca is still hanging in there. The Prazi seems to help although she still isn't opening her mouth on her own and we have to hand feed her still. She is starting to fight back a bit when we try to feed her and seems to be swimming around faster than she was before (like she did when she wasn't sick), so I hope the Prazi is helping. I am still a bit worried her mouth will not ever work right again, but I hope that is still possible. :) I will try to post a video tomorrow. We changed the tank water last night (90% change, parameters all good--nitrates were 10ppm, pH: 7.4, Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm) and there is no Prazi in there right now...going to dose again in 4 days if that sounds right. (We have done two doses so far with 4 days clean water in between and a large water change before dosing.) I'll try to be better about updating. :)

Today's update:

Pucca was not wanting to be fed this morning. She has started to resist more and more. I thought this was good since she was gaining some strength back, but its making it hard for her to get much food. She cannot open her mouth on her own at all. We have to pry it open with tweezers (as little as possible) and dribble food in from the syringe. She doesn't hold still for this though. Any other ideas?

She is also definitely using her gill on one side much more than the other. I am not sure if this is a problem, just been noticing it. I keep trying to get a video of her breathing, but she doesn't like the camera either. Maybe tomorrow! :)

I am hoping the Prazi helps too! :) I just hope her mouth isn't beyond regrowth/repair.

Dosed the 3rd Prazi dose last night and cleaned the tank. Water parameters still look good. :) Got some baby food peas to vary the fry food to hopefully make her more interested in food. I'll keep you posted.

She's still hanging in there. :) We are going to do a water change tonight and then one more dose of Prazi in a few days right? (4 total then) I thought I saw her open her mouth the tiniest bit the other day, so I am hopeful. :) We'll see. She seems more responsive at least. I'll keep updating when possible. :)

Thank you for the update.

Let's aim for 6 rounds instead of 4, for now. Usually I would say let's review it after 4, but since you may be busy, I am just putting the suggestion out ahead so that you can just go on autopilot if you like :)

Did a 95% water change tonight to give her clean water between Prazi doses. Dose 4 is next in about 4 days. We can do the 6 doses. Do you think its helping her? I need to post a video so you can see her mouth--I'll do that if I can soon. :) We had a scary moment when the filter stopped working tonight, but we played around with the internal parts and it kicked back on! Yay! :) Water parameters look good--pH: 7.4, Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, NItrate: 20 ppm (pre-water change), and Temp: 76F. She is liking the baby food peas at least.