Goldfish with a spreading? tail problem

Jolly

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I had noticed, but now I completely understand!

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 76F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 3-4 ppm

Nitrates: 10 ppm

She is in the process of eating...takes her a while to realize we put the food in there. I am going to go watch her...hopefully she will get some down. Then we'll do the double water change. I have noticed that she seems to only be breathing out of one gill. Is that a bad sign? The other one opens occasionally but not as wide or as often as the other. If I can get a good video, I'll post one later.

No...they don't look pink and they're not swollen. I see her use the other one more after water changes too. Maybe its related to water issues?

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 77F

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 2-3 ppm

Nitrate: 15 ppm

Got her to eat a little bit of the frozen food. May try some flakes tomorrow and see if she goes after those. Doing a double 90% water change now.

:) Thanks for the encouragement. I think we are making progress. I am just tired tonight...too much school!

I just noticed what I hope is not another problem! In the filter media, there are small reddish worm-like creatures and they are moving. I look at the filter pretty often hoping that I will see green algae forming (some is I think finally!), so I am pretty certain they weren't there this morning. Any idea what these could be and if they are a problem? I am wondering if they are from her frozen food...

Here is a video if that helps:

I am 99% certain they are round. They're kinda hard to see. The larger ones are red in color, look segmented like an earth worm and have a slightly darker side and a lighter side. There are also smaller ones that seem to have a black head and what looks like a tadpole-like body...they are staying stuck to the side of the filter and not moving as much. They both seem to be staying in the filter and are "eating" (maybe?) the algae that is building up. We did have a small piece of food get sucked up into the filter. (Ingredients in the food are: water, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill, plankton, spinach, red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, spirulina, menhaden oil, vitamin premix--I can list the ingredients to that too if that would be helpful. Its called Emerald Entree and we got it at the LFS.

We also fed her the freeze-dried bloodworms last week in an attempt to get her to eat and I don't think she did eat them. They are so creepy whatever they are!

It sounds suspiciously like either a blood worm, or some other larval stage worms. Is there any possibility you could gently isolate a few and take some macro photos of these for identication? It doesn't need to be tonight, as I realize it's late.

I will see if we can get one out and take a better photo of it tomorrow. I haven't gotten photos to post successfully yet, but maybe I can mess with my camera settings to get the files smaller or load them onto a site first. Thanks for helping so late!

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 74 F

Nitrites: 4 ppm

Nitrates: 5 ppm

--Did a double water change as usual. :)

Also, update on the worms...my boyfriend noticed a lot of little gnats hanging out in between the water level and lid this afternoon. They were very small. He killed the ones he could catch ( I saw maybe one or two tonight still) and then gently rinsed the filter media out with tank water to see if that would help. I don't see any worms in the media now, so hopefully they were just bloodworms. I didn't get a chance to take any photos today. Do bloodworms usually turn into little gnats?

It's possible that you had some insect larval form in your filter. I would just keep watch and try to rinse the filter media more often.

How is Pucca doing? Was she able to eat?

Eww! We will keep an eye on it. How often is ok (I don't want to get rid of the good algae that is building up bacteria right?)? Pucca picked at the food and I think got a little down tonight. Might try some peas tomorrow and see if she can get them in yet. She still isn't opening her mouth very wide to eat. Hopefully when the nitrites get under control, she will get better...:)

Is she able to open her mouth some, or at least more than before?

What is in your filter media that you want to retain are good nitrogen fixing bacteria, and those won't be removed much, if at all, by some light rinsing to get rid of the junk caught by the filter media.

When you have growing algae, it will most likely be on the tank walls, and other surfaces with direct access to some light source :)

I would rinse (lightly) the filter media every couple of weeks. Use either old tank water or new dechlorinated water.

Edited by dnalex

Tank parameters tonight:

Also, update on the worms...my boyfriend noticed a lot of little gnats hanging out in between the water level and lid this afternoon. They were very small. He killed the ones he could catch ( I saw maybe one or two tonight still) and then gently rinsed the filter media out with tank water to see if that would help. I don't see any worms in the media now, so hopefully they were just bloodworms. I didn't get a chance to take any photos today. Do bloodworms usually turn into little gnats?

That is an issue I have to deal with every summer, even though all our windows have insect screens. If your filter has air-holes or slits in the cover, you can try covering them with pantyhose. This will keep some of the gnats out of the filter. :)

Is she able to open her mouth some, or at least more than before?

What is in your filter media that you want to retain are good nitrogen fixing bacteria, and those won't be removed much, if at all, by some light rinsing to get rid of the junk caught by the filter media.

When you have growing algae, it will most likely be on the tank walls, and other surfaces with direct access to some light source :)

I would rinse (lightly) the filter media every couple of weeks. Use either old tank water or new dechlorinated water.

She opens her mouth, but not very far. When she does eat, we put in in her glass jar so she can kind of smash it against the side and it stays there while she eats it. She isn't opening her mouth wide to do this...nibbling almost. We put it in the glass jar so the current doesn't keep it away from her. Anything that floats still gets away from her too fast for her to open her mouth a little and eat it.

I will make sure we rinse the filter out more often. I was worried about messing up the cycle, but maybe we can flush out whatever is hatching into bugs...they are getting a bit annoying. :)

Tank parameters tonight:

That is an issue I have to deal with every summer, even though all our windows have insect screens. If your filter has air-holes or slits in the cover, you can try covering them with pantyhose. This will keep some of the gnats out of the filter. :)

Is your problem caused by worms hatching into flies or by flies getting into the tank? The bugs we keep getting are hatching from worms that were in the filter media somehow...they will stay in the area between the water and the tank lid and fly out when we open the lid to put food in. Aside from that, they seem to stay in the tank. I just hope they are nothing bad for her...

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 74F

Nitrite: 3-4 ppm

Nitrate: 10-15 ppm

We did a double water change as usual. I will still try to get better photos up of the worms/flies...there aren't enough hours in the day! :(

Hang in there. :)

Tomorrow, would it be possible for you to put her in a container of Primed water while you do a 100% WC? This should not hurt your cycle :)

Ok...finally have 5 seconds free! :) I hate the end of the semester...WAY too much to do and no where near enough time to keep my fish happy.

Tank parameters from last night: Temp: 76F, pH: 7.4, Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 3-4ppm, Nitrate: 20 ppm.

Tank parameters tonight:

Temp: 76F

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 2-3ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Should we do two 90%s or try another 100%?

She is trying to eat right now. Attacking the food "cube" pretty well...she still seems to be having trouble opening her mouth very wide though. :(